Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

ceegee wrote: »
    Whats JoMo upto these days?

He recently won the World Wrestling Fan Xperience World Heavyweight Championship against Shelton Benjamin in Manila.

He's also got bitten by the ol' stand-up comedy bug and he actually has a gig this Saturday.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/249747-former-wwe-superstar-john-morrison-in-new-comedy-act

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Which PPVs this year are being broadcast on regular sky TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Charisteas wrote: »
    He's also got bitten by the ol' stand-up comedy bug and he actually has a gig this Saturday.

That sounds like a horrible train wreck, judging by the guy's promos over the last ~decade!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

jaykhunter wrote: »
    That sounds like a horrible train wreck, judging by the guy's promos over the last ~decade!

Yeah but who knows if his promos were scripted from those Nazi Cyborg creative team. He did come across as an extremely bland guy on WWE TV, not just the lines but even his delivery. But someone somewhere must think he has something to offer, I would like to think that the club's manager or booker at least heard an audition or something, I hope :confused:

This could make for awesome car crash youtube viewing the morning after!

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Captain Morgan Freeman

Charisteas wrote: »
    Yeah but who knows if his promos were scripted from those Nazi Cyborg creative team. He did come across as an extremely bland guy on WWE TV, not just the lines but even his delivery. But someone somewhere must think he has something to offer, I would like to think that the club's manager or booker at least heard an audition or something, I hope :confused:

This could make for awesome car crash youtube viewing the morning after!

Or perhaps the manager knows that people will go to the club simply because it's John Morisson regardless of what he's doing. Promos are scripted but it's up to the wrestler to provide a lot of input and play their character good enough. That's why guys like The Miz are in the main event instead of better "wrestlers" like Tyson Kidd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

Whats Cena's marital status in the "WWE universe"

According to Wikipedia hes married in real life but has this been mentioned on tv at all? I'm presuming not as most of the emphasis last week was on him betraying Ryder rather than him cheating on his wife. (Although, judging by some stories I'm not sure which would be deemed worse by the WWE staff/roster)

Still a pretty strange thing to have your main guy do when they clearly aren't going to turn him heel.

Whats Cena's marital status in the "WWE universe".

I haven't seen any of Cena's DVDs but I'm fairly sure his wife's never featured on camera....so he's an eligible bachelor.

That said, marital status is whatever WWE decide it's what they need for a storyline. HHH married and divorced Steph in storylines, and without explanation has been referred to as married again. (the night before Linda's election night loss, outed by Punk, Shawn etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I haven't seen any of Cena's DVDs but I'm fairly sure his wife's never featured on camera....so he's an eligible bachelor.

That said, marital status is whatever WWE decide it's what they need for a storyline. HHH married and divorced Steph in storylines, and without explanation has been referred to as married again. (the night before Linda's election night loss, outed by Punk, Shawn etc)
    To be fair, Triple H and Stephanie was the worst kept secret in wrestling. Pretty much everyone knew they were at least together. Triple H himself often made jokes about how great her husband must be and whatnot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

Is Tyson Kidd's name a deliberate reference to the Dynamite Kid ? (I somehow never managed to notice the Smith/Kid, Smith/Kidd similarity between the bulldogs and Hart dynasty until I was filling in a tagteam quiz on sporcle and it autofilled at "kid" - I am clearly an idiot)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

Is Tyson Kidd's name a deliberate reference to the Dynamite Kid ? (I somehow never managed to notice the Smith/Kid, Smith/Kidd similarity between the bulldogs and Hart dynasty until I was filling in a tagteam quiz on sporcle and it autofilled at "kid" - I am clearly an idiot)

never clicked that untill now but it makes sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭therickreport

geeky wrote: »
    Which PPVs this year are being broadcast on regular sky TV?

the big 4 PPVs are never free and i don't think Hell In A Cell ever is either. i think Extreme Rules, Over The Limit, Money In The Bank, Night of Champions and whatever the other October PPV is will be free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

Sometimes you'll hear people reference quarterly ratings and, occasionally, minute-by-minute ratings.
    Where do they get these figures from?
    Why do the minute-by-minute ones only get referenced on rare occasions, surely a sudden drop from on segment into another would be of more note than quarters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

I would like to see this happen, and sooner rather than later.

Why did he leave in the first place, was it a business or personal decision?

Is it known whether he has plans to return commentating full time again?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I would like to see this happen, and sooner rather than later.

Why did he leave in the first place, was it a business or personal decision?

Is it known whether he has plans to return commentating full time again?

The main reason he departs for such long times is due to a condition known as Bells' Palsy. It's a condition whereby half of his face can become paralyzed and his speech gets slurred. This was openly mocked by rivals WCW in the late 90's, to nobody's joy.

If I may give an opinion on all this backed up with some info. Jim Ross has been treated disgracefully by the WWE on more than one occasion.

In 1994 he suffered from a Bells' Palsy episode and was fired 2 weeks later. That was his first dismissal since joining only a year previously.

Vince then used Ross when McMahon was up for a steroid trial, basically brought him in as a replacement for himself (Vince used to commentate back then). When Vince was found not guilty in the trial, he let JR go again. He essesntially used him.

Jim Ross is constantly made fun of in his home State of Oklahoma. He is usually (on the orders of Vince McMahon himself) humiliated in front of his home crowd. Apart from this he's suffered fat jibes, been placed in idiotic matches. had BBQ sauce squirted in his eye and even had his real-life colon surgery discussed on air and mocked viciously in a storyline.

Then there was the time of the Draft where JR was traded to Smackdown live on air and the cameras made sure to get right in his face to capture his reaction. Even as a man with over 20 years in the business, they didnt give him any prior indication he'd be moving.

I used to feel sorry for him. But seeing all the sh1t they constantly do to him, he should know better. He doesnt need the money. I think he's quite pathetic for returning all the time knowing the next humiliation is just an episode away....

Oh and tht cowboy hat he wears, Vince's idea. JR probably doesn't even like it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Sometimes you'll hear people reference quarterly ratings and, occasionally, minute-by-minute ratings.
    Where do they get these figures from?
    Why do the minute-by-minute ones only get referenced on rare occasions, surely a sudden drop from on segment into another would be of more note than quarters?

All ratings as far as I know come from the Neilsen System, which uses Neilsen boxes in a selection of houses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nielsen_ratings

My guess the minute-by-minute is only referenced when it's important, and typically segments go by the quarter hour....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

I am sure JR is well compensated for what he does though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

this just randomly popped into my head today, that has it ever been leaked online or whatever as to what would have happened in that vince fake death storyline from summer 2007 if the benoit murder/suicide hadn't happened?

what was it leading to?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

this just randomly popped into my head today, that has it ever been leaked online or whatever as to what would have happened in that vince fake death storyline from summer 2007 if the benoit murder/suicide hadn't happened?

what was it leading to?

Id say it was going in the same direction as it played out.
    Like vince saying he faked his own death to find out what people really thought of him.

HeresVince.jpg

(Hope its ok posting that but it is such an iconic moment...)

I'm fairly sure Bischoff did the same shot at the ppv near the end of Garrett's match. Then into the SummerSlam 97 finish to round out the show, lol.

I'm fairly sure Bischoff did the same shot at the ppv near the end of Garrett's match. Then into the SummerSlam 97 finish to round out the show, lol.
    Anderson did something similar, I think last year. Pipe and all. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

CMpunked wrote: »
    Id say it was going in the same direction as it played out.
    Like vince saying he faked his own death to find out what people really thought of him.
    oh right!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

What does John Cena mean when he taunts "you cant see me!"?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

What does John Cena mean when he taunts "you cant see me!"?

"I'm so out of your league, I'm so far ahead of you in ability, you can't even see me any more, that's how far ahead of you I am".

Interesting! I considered it to be "you don't know the real me i.e. you're underestimating me"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Who invented that whole you can't see me pose, i've seen Joe Canning and a few footballers do it and I really doubt any of them are Wrestling fans

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

Are wrestlers allowed to loose weight if they want to? Ive always wondered this for wrestlers like big show, brodus clay, viscera etc. that they're clearly very overweight, but are they allowed to go on a diet/loose weight if they wanted to or are the bonded by a contract to keep a certain weight so as to maintain their image?

Or are they just not able to loose the weight due to their schedule/lifestyle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

GTR63 wrote: »
    Who invented that whole you can't see me pose, i've seen Joe Canning and a few footballers do it and I really doubt any of them are Wrestling fans

Doubt any wrestlers got it from Joe Canning, no matter what Diabhal might say..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

"I'm so out of your league, I'm so far ahead of you in ability, you can't even see me any more, that's how far ahead of you I am".
    I just pictured him say that everytime instead and thought it was hilarious.

Digitalism wrote: »
    Are wrestlers allowed to loose weight if they want to? Ive always wondered this for wrestlers like big show, brodus clay, viscera etc. that they're clearly very overweight, but are they allowed to go on a diet/loose weight if they wanted to or are the bonded by a contract to keep a certain weight so as to maintain their image?

Or are they just not able to loose the weight due to their schedule/lifestyle?

Big Show has been sent home a few times with the sole purpose of losing weight. He loses it, comes back, and puts it back on within a few months. He was down close to 400lbs at one stage but was soon back up to where he is now.

It's a shame he can't keep it off as he was very agile for his size when he was slimmer (also younger tho) in WCW.

• Advertisement

That's exactly right. Being on the road (away from his wife?) I imagine Show just gets right back into bad old habits. (Watch Show's DVD to hear HHH cackle at his own fat jokes towards Show, getting fans to bring him a tray of hotdogs etc) It's worth noting that he was sent back down to OVW to lose weight AFTER his first WWF title run! :eek:

Advertisement