Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

jaykhunter wrote: »
    That's exactly right. Being on the road (away from his wife?) I imagine Show just gets right back into bad old habits. (Watch Show's DVD to hear HHH cackle at his own fat jokes towards Show, getting fans to bring him a tray of hotdogs etc) It's worth noting that he was sent back down to OVW to lose weight AFTER his first WWF title run! :eek:

He got liposuction too at one time during a hiatus. Don't ask me why but I doubt he does much outside the ring to do excercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Doubt any wrestlers got it from Joe Canning, no matter what Diabhal might say..
    I'll be able to tell you where Joe Canning got it from tomorrow afternoon.

I'll be able to tell you where Joe Canning got it from tomorrow afternoon.

Didn't he pick up a injury midweek Diabhal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

GTR63 wrote: »
    Didn't he pick up a injury midweek Diabhal
    He's out for it but I'll ask a mate of mine on the panel.

He's out for it but I'll ask a mate of mine on the panel.
    Galway Hurling Insider Diabhal eh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Captain Morgan Freeman

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Big Show has been sent home a few times with the sole purpose of losing weight. He loses it, comes back, and puts it back on within a few months. He was down close to 400lbs at one stage but was soon back up to where he is now.

It's a shame he can't keep it off as he was very agile for his size when he was slimmer (also younger tho) in WCW.

Was and still is. Tell me how many people you know his size can take an Rko and sell it properly. Also how many people can pull off an elbow drop off the top rope. He may have trouble keeping his weight in check but the agility and technique he has for his size is brilliant to say the least. Think about it for a minute, how many guys could put on weight like he does and still maintain a high standard of wrestling ability?
    He's a shoe in for the top 3 in a list of the best "big men" ever if not number 1. Look at how restricted people like Khali and Andre the giant are/were in the ring and compare them to Big Show, his ring work is like a cruiserweight in comparison to those guys. /rant

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Was and still is. Tell me how many people you know his size can take an Rko and sell it properly. Also how many people can pull off an elbow drop off the top rope. He may have trouble keeping his weight in check but the agility and technique he has for his size is brilliant to say the least. Think about it for a minute, how many guys could put on weight like he does and still maintain a high standard of wrestling ability?
    He's a shoe in for the top 3 in a list of the best "big men" ever if not number 1. Look at how restricted people like Khali and Andre the giant are/were in the ring and compare them to Big Show, his ring work is like a cruiserweight in comparison to those guys. /rant
    I wasnt taking anything away from him, instead simply pointing out that he was in much better shape earlier in his career. He used to be able to pull out dropkicks. To me, thats much more impressive than being able to hit an elbow drop or take an RKO (which more or less involves falling forward tbh). I'm not denying his ability, I'm just saying he used to be able to do so much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Is there any chance at all that JR and King will be the commentators for HHH vs Taker at WM?

I would absolutely love if they were, Cole just wouldn't have the same effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Has anyone heard anything about if there's going to be a new season of Tough Enough this year?

Is there any chance at all that JR and King will be the commentators for HHH vs Taker at WM?

I would absolutely love if they were, Cole just wouldn't have the same effect.

There's a good chance he will be brought in for this as it's widely known that Taker and Trips hugely admire JR's work. As always though it's up to Vince. But i'd say if he is brought in, it would be work with Cole rather than replace him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭therickreport

Charisteas wrote: »
    Has anyone heard anything about if there's going to be a new season of Tough Enough this year?

still nothing confirmed yet but it's likely since the show was really popular. there were talks of having Chris Jericho and Michelle McCool as two of the trainers but nothing definite

• Registered Users Posts: 36,259 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

linked to the Rock DVD, and rovert touching on the fact he doesn't go in-depth about politics, maybe because he's a 3rd generation wrestler who wants to keep kayfabe...

in terms of Hunter, does anyone know how they really felt about each other? or in fact feel about each other now?

to have those matches, I'd assume there'd have to be a degree of mutual respect, at least at the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

SlickRic wrote: »
    linked to the Rock DVD, and rovert touching on the fact he doesn't go in-depth about politics, maybe because he's a 3rd generation wrestler who wants to keep kayfabe...

in terms of Hunter, does anyone know how they really felt about each other? or in fact feel about each other now?

to have those matches, I'd assume there'd have to be a degree of mutual respect, at least at the time.

No idea how they feel about each other now. But Hunter inherited Shawn Michaels dislike for the Rock over an incident where Shawn bullied a young teenage Rock and threatened Rock's mother. Hunter and Shawn campaigned to get Rock fired in 1997 but Bret Hart, Cornette and Patterson all spoke up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

rovert wrote: »
    No idea how they feel about each other now. But Hunter inherited Shawn Michaels dislike for the Rock over an incident where Shawn bullied a young teenage Rock and threatened Rock's mother. Hunter and Shawn campaigned to get Rock fired in 1997 but Bret Hart, Cornette and Patterson all spoke up.

That's interesting. Have there been any other notable bullying incidents in wrestling over the years? I've heard stories of JBL bullying Edge but I'm not sure how true that is. I'd imagine Hardcore Holly has a few incidents under his name too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Charisteas wrote: »
    There's a good chance he will be brought in for this as it's widely known that Taker and Trips hugely admire JR's work.

I wish, Vince didn't budge for Taker/Shawn pushing hard to get JR back to call their Mania match....doubt it'll happen. Hope so, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

JBL and Blue Meanie is one example of bullying. He intentionally hit him as hard as he could when Meanie was not expecting it.

He also bullied Miz, which prompted Miz to cut arguably the best promo of his career after he won the US title.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Miz also had run ins with Benoit as well, didn't he? In fact, it strikes me all the vets hated Miz :pac:

Miz also had run ins with Benoit as well, didn't he?

Yep I think that's who Miz was referring to in chopperbyrne's aforementioned promo when Miz says that he was banned from the locker room for 6 months for spilling chicken crumbs onto a referees bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

With regards to JBL being a bully, there's a story doing the rounds that he bullied a kid called 'monkey boy' so bad that he made him cry in the locker room. Basically he trapped him in the showers, lathered him up and convinced him that some prison lovin' was about to go down...

Rumour has it that it was Brian Lawler/Christopher aka Grand Master Sexay.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭therickreport

Maria Kanellis in her You-Shoot interview talks about one time when she was driving on the road and Randy Orton was in the car behind her. Apparently he started lighting fireworks and throwing them at her car. Then there's him taking a dump in Amy Weber's handbag. I guess Orton just lived his heel character every day of his life.

Ivory was also a notorious bitch to train from in OVW. Krissy Vaine said that on the first day she called all the pretty girls to the front row and said "sluts like you all sleep your way to the top".

Another Hardcore Holly story - he decided he would stiff Matt Cappotelli during a training match on Tough Enough and then later concussed him when they were wrestling on a house show.

• Advertisement

Mick Foley never tapped out in his in ring career in WWE did he refuse to or was it just a booking quirk?
    Also wondering if that Wrestlemania Quiz thread is going to be making a comeback this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Hmm, never really thought about it! Only guy he really feuded with that used a submission finisher was Ken Shamrock; where Mankind applied the mandible claw to himself to get out of tapping! .....and Series 98 he was screwed.... He never feuded with Angle? I just think a submission finish just never came up; so that was about that really. I don't think he was an arse about it like refusing to tap. Hmm... wish I could've asked mick that last week

If he were Catcus Jack the entire time, I could see it being intentional. But, since he wasnt I'd guess it was like the early years of Undertaker's streak and was a fluke.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Captain Morgan Freeman

Time for the mother of all multi-quotes
    I wasnt taking anything away from him, instead simply pointing out that he was in much better shape earlier in his career. He used to be able to pull out dropkicks. To me, thats much more impressive than being able to hit an elbow drop or take an RKO (which more or less involves falling forward tbh). I'm not denying his ability, I'm just saying he used to be able to do so much more.
    Agreed. Some of the things he did in his WCW days was crazy. He was able to take a jacknife and a jackhammer which is just ridiculous for someone his size. Though it's only natural with people his size that over time he becomes less agile. Andre the giant was barely able to walk during the end of his WWF run and even The Great Khali was more mobile when he first debuted then right now in the WWE. It's a credit to big show that he's still able to go at his age really. I wasn't picking out your post in particular, just the overall wave of negativity on the big show that was going on here earlier.
    Omackeral wrote: »
    With regards to JBL being a bully, there's a story doing the rounds that he bullied a kid called 'monkey boy' so bad that he made him cry in the locker room. Basically he trapped him in the showers, lathered him up and convinced him that some prison lovin' was about to go down...

Rumour has it that it was Brian Lawler/Christopher aka Grand Master Sexay.
    I heard this story before. Don't know if it's legitimate or not but apparently Brian Christopher was seen slipping something into a girls drink at a bar so at the next show some of the guys tied him up in the showers and JBL made him believe he was going to give him some "prison loving" to teach him a lesson and basically make him feel as helpless as a woman would with a drug slipped in their drink.
    Maria Kanellis in her You-Shoot interview talks about one time when she was driving on the road and Randy Orton was in the car behind her. Apparently he started lighting fireworks and throwing them at her car. Then there's him taking a dump in Amy Weber's handbag. I guess Orton just lived his heel character every day of his life.
    Orton was quite a dick during his early days in the WWE, he was cheeky disrespectful and was regularly pulling pranks on the other wrestlers. He even got Ken Kennedy fired and had Kofi put in the dog house. He's also got two strikes on the WWE's three strike drug policy. He has since turned his whole act around though.
    Ivory was also a notorious bitch to train from in OVW. Krissy Vaine said that on the first day she called all the pretty girls to the front row and said "sluts like you all sleep your way to the top".
    And rightly so. Melina and Kelly Kelly wouldn't have made it in the WWE otherwise.
    Another Hardcore Holly story - he decided he would stiff Matt Cappotelli during a training match on Tough Enough and then later concussed him when they were wrestling on a house show.
    There's a special place in hell for Hardcore Holly. He frequently treated rookies like crap simply because he could and of course there was the sandbagging incident with Brock Lesnar. He sandbagged one or two other guys but i can't remember the details right now.
    jaykhunter wrote: »
    Hmm, never really thought about it! Only guy he really feuded with that used a submission finisher was Ken Shamrock; where Mankind applied the mandible claw to himself to get out of tapping! .....and Series 98 he was screwed.... He never feuded with Angle? I just think a submission finish just never came up; so that was about that really. I don't think he was an arse about it like refusing to tap. Hmm... wish I could've asked mick that last week
    Now hold on there Playa! He did feud with the Rock a few times who used the Sharpshooter. It is an interesting statistic though like how Kim Neidhart never wrestled a singles match on a WWF or WCW PPV. I think the reason Mankind never tapped was because of his character. Mankind was a psycho who enjoyed feeling pain and inflicting it on his opponents, it would be bad for his character to tap out in a match seeing as he "enjoyed" feeling pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Just a question regarding the time Raw and Smackdown are shown in the U.S.

So usually they are shown at 8 E.S.T and 7 Central right?, does that mean they are live at 4 p.m on the West Coast or delayed until evening for them? Often wondered how you show a live event over four time zones.

PPV's used to be shown live at whatever the time equilivent was for the West coast, don't know if they still are. I only remember, because of Taboo Tuesday causing a lot of trouble because it was a week day meaning a lot of people would miss the start due to working on the west coast. I believe that's why it was changed to Cyber Sunday the next year.

Smackdown I reckon is shown at 8 or 9 or whatever as it isn't usually live anyway. Raw, I'm not sure but have a vague recollection of hearing it airing live and repeated again at 10pm or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

PPV's used to be shown live at whatever the time equilivent was for the West coast, don't know if they still are. I only remember, because of Taboo Tuesday causing a lot of trouble because it was a week day meaning a lot of people would miss the start due to working on the west coast. I believe that's why it was changed to Cyber Sunday the next year.

Smackdown I reckon is shown at 8 or 9 or whatever as it isn't usually live anyway. Raw, I'm not sure but have a vague recollection of hearing it airing live and repeated again at 10pm or something.

Thanks man. Must be hard being a wrestling fan in L.A if your in work for the live show and then staying away from the internet all evening so you don't spoil it for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Edge said in his book that JBL did the whole lathering up his ass in the shower thing to him too back when he started in the company in 1998.JBL used to like ribbing the rookies to make sure that they weren't big headed or whatever according to Edge.

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    Just a question regarding the time Raw and Smackdown are shown in the U.S.

So usually they are shown at 8 E.S.T and 7 Central right?, does that mean they are live at 4 p.m on the West Coast or delayed until evening for them? Often wondered how you show a live event over four time zones.

Like you said, Smackdown (and PPV's) are shown 8pm EST, 7 Central, but 5pm West Coast as the West Coast is only 3 hours behind Eastern, not 4 hours.

Raw is on an hour later, so 9pm Eastern, 8pm central, 6pm West Coast.

There are actually seven USA time zones though :eek:.

Atlantic - GMT -4 hours
    Eastern - GMT -5 hours
    Central - GMT -6 hours
    Mountain - GMT -7 hours
    Pacific (West Coast) - GMT -8 hours
    Alaska - GMT -9 hours
    Hawaii - GMT -10 hours

As a sub to this topic, I read that Raw is on 10pm Eastern next week, which would mean a 3am start for us folk in Ireland, unless i'm missing something related to clocks changing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I've heard rumours of Paul Wight/ Big Show performing a moonsault during his early days in WCW. Anyone know if this is true? Any pics/ links?

Advertisement