Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

rovert wrote: »
    Sandow right now is regarded as a HHH project.

My own speculation: Is that Sandow came up with that gimmick himself

As I suspected. HHH must be extremely delighted with how Sandow is portraying the gimmick, I only see huge things for him in the future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Charisteas wrote: »
    Whilst I thought Linda's campaign was more important than sponsors, it's frustrating that the direction of the company is dictated by a sponsor. Whilst Mattel may have a lucrative contract, sponsors do come and go. When does the Mattel contract expire?

The original contract was signed in 2010 and runs to 2015. No idea if it has been extended.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I would assume that the contract would be renewed unless something goes seriously wrong beforehand?

I would assume that the contract would be renewed unless something goes seriously wrong beforehand?

There is people here who know action figures better than me. But WWE figures sold really well the first year out of novelty I guess and since then they have fallen way down. Don't know how much of that is recession or changes in the market - children playing with more technological toys etc. 2011 vs 2010 the Mattel toy line dropped from $3.7 million to $2.8 million. It was down 12% the second quarter of 2012 compared to the second quarter of 2011 too. Obviously Wrestling is a cold property right now but I have heard about issues with Mattel's distribution on the other end.

No idea about the prospect of a renewal. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

As I suspected. HHH must be extremely delighted with how Sandow is portraying the gimmick, I only see huge things for him in the future.

I said it before but if Sandow doesn't make it they may as well forget about development. He was one of the best they had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    The PG era will be round for a long long time. Its not only Linda's campaign. The WWE have a huge deal with Mattel, or some other toy maker, and its for this reason more than anything that wwe have gone in a PG direction.

Whilst I thought Linda's campaign was more important than sponsors, it's frustrating that the direction of the company is dictated by a sponsor. Whilst Mattel may have a lucrative contract, sponsors do come and go. When does the Mattel contract expire?
    I'm not sure where I heard it (maybe Alvarez, or possibly dirtsheets) but hadn't Mattel a hand in Daniel Bryan being future endeavoured after choking Justin Roberts with his tie at the start of the Nexus angle? if true, it goes to show the level of pull the sponsors have.

Sandow is a legend!He lives his gimmick very well, massive quill and all

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I said it before but if Sandow doesn't make it they may as well forget about development. He was one of the best they had.

That isn't really the lesson. Most people I've heard talk about it say that Aaron improved mostly in the time after his OVW stint & his mini WWE stint and before his FCW stint. When he was let go from WWE and wrestled in WWC in Puerto Rico.

Watching a Raw from January 1998 and JR just claimed their were rumours of Hogan being in the Rumble. Was their anything to it (did they even exist or did WWF make it up) or was it just a cheap way to get people to use the call in line?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Watching a Raw from January 1998 and JR just claimed their were rumours of Hogan being in the Rumble. Was their anything to it (did they even exist or did WWF make it up) or was it just a cheap way to get people to use the call in line?

I was watching that period recently and was wondering about that also! There were rumours that Hulk Hogan were using negotiations with WWE to scare WCW into giving him a better contract. So the superstar line was to give an update on negotiations. I don't think it was really likely to happen though.

http://wfigs.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=classicwrestling&action=display&thread=84004

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I had to go and read that link, very.....interesting people on that forum. I must say I feel like we have a much more sane group of people on here. I never remember anything about those rumors! Gladly he didn't come back at the time. I don't think the Attitude era would have reached the heights that it did if he'd been in the mix with his red and yellow.

• Advertisement

Leverage move. There was no way Hogan could get a better deal than all that guaranteed money, creative control AND that whopper percentage of PPV buys he got (don't quote but it was something mad like 40-50% of the gross).

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

Why was Bam Bam Bigelow chosen to face NFL legend Lawrence Taylor at 'Mania XI?
    I know he shoved LT sitting at ringside at Royal Rumble but Vince obviously decided he was the man for the job more than HBK or Undertaker but I cant see why.

What exactly caused Michaels to retire in 98? I was always under the impression it was the back body drop early in the casket match with Undertaker. I hadn't seen the match in years but watched it today and he is back on his feet within about 10 seconds. It didn't seem to affect him at all at the time as he worked the rest of the match showing no sign of a career stopping injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭bobby_says_hi

it may have just been adrenaline or whatever. he might not have realised the injury until a few days later. you'd be surprised how often that happens. Lita walked around with a broken neck for ten days without realising and Layla worked a whole week's worth of television and house shows before she found out she'd torn her ACL. Michaels said it was the back body drop, it caused two herniated discs and one crushed completely. the whole thing was probably a delayed reaction or at the time he just thought it was just a bruise or something

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

^^^^
    Still no reason to let Savio Vega main event a PPV!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,013 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Omackeral wrote: »
    ^^^^
    Still no reason to let Savio Vega main event a PPV!

I loved the KotR that him and Mabel main evented.

Probably my most watched PPV ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

I loved the KotR that him and Mabel main evented.

Probably my most watched PPV ever.

Ah the 1995 KOTR, one of my favourite PPV's ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

1995 kotr was a horrible show, the loud ecw chants and vince thinking they were chanting something else at first is funny though

• Registered Users Posts: 40,023 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

On the shawn Michaels injury. According to his account in the wwe unscripted book.
    the scariest injury for me was my back. It was after the casket match with undertaker at the royal rumble in 1998. I was fine after the match, did the tv show the next day, went home the next morning, went to sleep that night. But when I woke up Wednesday morning, I couldn't move in bed. I couldnt even turn to get to the phone. It was the world's hottest knife in my back. I couldn't move my legs. I couldnt turn my upper body.every time i tried to move, it was a searing pain down my legs.All I could think of was,"make the pain go away." I was living alone in this big house, so I was stuck in bed, one of those huge four poster beds. I had to roll myself off the bed to the floor, which hurt like you can't believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,138 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

When was the last time they had a big mystery in WWE, along the lines of the Aces and Eights storyline?
    So not exactly things like Anonymous GM or Vince's son. I remember Rikishi being revealed as knocking Austin down, then think DDP being revealed as being Taker's stalker. But have there been any recently?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,818 ✭✭✭✭Penn

CastorTroy wrote: »
    When was the last time they had a big mystery in WWE, along the lines of the Aces and Eights storyline?
    So not exactly things like Anonymous GM or Vince's son. I remember Rikishi being revealed as knocking Austin down, then think DDP being revealed as being Taker's stalker. But have there been any recently?

Vince's limo exploding. Would have been a mystery about it but the story had to be shelved because of the Benoit incident. Then there was the stage collapsing on Vince but I can't even remember what happened with that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Penn wrote: »
    Vince's limo exploding. Would have been a mystery about it but the story had to be shelved because of the Benoit incident. Then there was the stage collapsing on Vince but I can't even remember what happened with that.

Nothing. He went off TV for a while, came back a few months later and they never mentioned the angle in a way as to imply it was ever an actual story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

CastorTroy wrote: »

There were some teased in regards to The Nexus, such as who was truly behind them, why they attacked Undertaker, and who was driving that limo that Bret Hart was dumped into? (well, I dunno if that was actually supposed to be anything).

WWE's got quite the reputation for dropping plot-elements and never picking'em up. There was also that angle with somebody leaving a note for Booker T, reading 'I still remember'. Dropped the following week. Booker T also still owes Randy Orton a favour, whilst I'm digging up **** no one else gives a toss about.

Then the 'E wonders why they are accused of alienating viewers. I mean, who'd think that seeming contempt for long-term, attentive viewers would leave some folk feeling iffy?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,138 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah, I would like to see something done which doesn't involve Hornswaggle or any other comedic wrestler, unless it's them turning evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

How many days a week do WWE announcers work? Take for instance Michael Cole, he has Raw Monday and SD Tuesday. Does he fullfill any other function within the company on the days that he's not announcing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

How many days a week do WWE announcers work? Take for instance Michael Cole, he has Raw Monday and SD Tuesday. Does he fullfill any other function within the company on the days that he's not announcing?

I am pretty sure he was a big part in wwe.com. But I don't know if he still has anything to do with it now that he is double dutying the shows.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

IIRC, one of the reasons JR was annoyed at the move to Smackdown was it increased his workload, since it meant he had to record Smackdown on Tuesday night and then redo some lines on Wednesday. He said the live show was, obviously, live so didn't require him to do the redubbing.

Not sure if that meant technically they only work one day; some obviously seem to have other duties as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    I am pretty sure he was a big part in wwe.com. But I don't know if he still has anything to do with it now that he is double dutying the shows.

No I dont think he has anything to do with it. Joey Styles has a pretty big part in it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    WWE's got quite the reputation for dropping plot-elements and never picking'em up. There was also that angle with somebody leaving a note for Booker T, reading 'I still remember'. Dropped the following week. Booker T also still owes Randy Orton a favour, whilst I'm digging up **** no one else gives a toss about.

yeah because wwe are the only ones that drop plot elements

who were the ninjas that attacked samoa joe never to be seen again

tna have completely dropped joe park searching for his brother last 2 months

• Advertisement

rossie1977 wrote: »
    yeah because wwe are the only ones that drop plot elements

who were the ninjas that attacked samoa joe never to be seen again

tna have completely dropped joe park searching for his brother last 2 months

Park is a very, very, very different case to what was pointed out. Park likely got much more over than they ever imagined to decided to stick with him instead of bringing back Abyss. It's called making a good call.

The ninjas were never mentioned again but did serve a purpose of taking Joe off screen for a bit.

Advertisement