Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

CMpunked wrote: »
    Knowing wrestling that sounds far too sophisticated for the carny-like beginnings such as mark.

It's been used in literature to describe a villain as far back as the early 1900s.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Adiboo wrote: »
    It's been used in literature to describe a villain as far back as the early 1900s.

Cool! Wonder who coined it.

CMpunked wrote: »
    Cool! Wonder who coined it.

No idea. I tried to research it before when I encountered it in a few books.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Best I've found, from http://www.etymonline.com. Fits in nicely to your point. Mind, by this definition, it gels soundly with WWE's main-events heels for the last decade, unless you're named HHH or Orton.
    heel (n.2)
    "contemptible person," 1914 in U.S. underworld slang, originally "incompetent or worthless criminal," perhaps from a sense of "person in the lowest position" and thus from heel (n.1).

I had no idea it existed in broader lexicon 'til I was older. I remember being forced to watch one of those art programmes as a kid, and one of the critics referred to the antagonist in a novel as a heel. I leaped up and thought 'ah sure, she's not bad, she watches wrestling'.

It's even in the first line of the Mr. Grinch song, haha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I'm pretty sure I've heard it in westerns from time to time as well. Some American people that I've met, who aren't necessarily wrestling fans, have recognised the word as having negative connotations if I've used it in passing. The question about blading there also, I know that in 1997, when Austin bled at WrestleMania, him and Bret Hart took it upon themselves to get colour in that match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

It's even in the first line of the Mr. Grinch song, haha.
    Whata heelish heel still over after what 40 years?
    Vince would hate him too fat around the waist though.

Is he a heel though, if he has his own movies etc.? There comes a point where the heels get popular, look at Ric Flair, Dolph Ziggler, Triple H, it goes on and on and on and...

Is he a heel though, if he has his own movies etc.? There comes a point where the heels get popular, look at Ric Flair, Dolph Ziggler, Triple H, it goes on and on and on and...

Don't forget he turned face at the end of the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,138 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So while I was thinking Zack Ryder should defend his internet title in the PPV preshows on youtube, I was wondering what other titles were created by a wrestler for himself? I know the Million Dollar Belt as one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Taz and the FTW Heavyweight Championship comes to mind immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭duuuaaaane

Lance Storm, didn't technically create titles but renamed all the Championships to 'Canadian Tag Team', US to 'Canadian Champ' etc when he held them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Booker T and the Legends' Championship in TNA as well

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

cheers for the TV times guys, i've once more edited the post in the hotlinks sticky on this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Allow me:
    The term "heel" is derived from a slang usage of the word that first appeared around 1914, meaning "contemptible person."

You're welcome! :cool:

It is also still used in every day New York speak - "don't be such a heel" = "don't be such a dick".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Hey folks,

Quick question. I'm only a part time wwe viewer but does anyone think that they are suffering from the lack of direct competition these days ( I don't know much about other brands, so sorry if I'm offending anyone here ).

I know they bought out a few other rivals a while back and it seems to me that the product has gone stale. Am I right here, or are there other factors at play?

Maybe I just miss the Atitude era :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    Hey folks,

Quick question. I'm only a part time wwe viewer but does anyone think that they are suffering from the lack of direct competition these days ( I don't know much about other brands, so sorry if I'm offending anyone here ).

I know they bought out a few other rivals a while back and it seems to me that the product has gone stale. Am I right here, or are there other factors at play?

Maybe I just miss the Atitude era :pac:

To a certain extent you're right, in the early days under Vince JNR he bought up a lot of the old territories, culminating in the purchase of nationwide companies WCW and ECW. Since then they have existed without any real competition. TNA Wrestling founded by the Jarrett's in 2002 have a TV deal and a great roster of talent but they still don't match up to the kind of rivalry that WCW gave WWE back in the hayday of American wrestling. (Commercially anyway)

Don't forget he turned face at the end of the movie.
    How could I forget something that I never even knew? I don't have time to watch The Grinch. I prefer to exist in the real world of professional wrestling.

How could I forget something that I never even knew? I don't have time to watch The Grinch. I prefer to exist in the real world of professional wrestling.

I should have put it in spoiler tags in retrospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,138 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I should have put it in spoiler tags in retrospect.

I haven't seen the film either but considering it's a family Christmas movie, I think it was obvious what the outcome would be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I haven't seen the film either but considering it's a family Christmas movie, I think it was obvious what the outcome would be.

The grinch and the who's go to a heated 60 minute broadway but he agrees to come back the next year to put them over. But that falls through when they discover his heart grew due to large drug use

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

GTR63 wrote: »
    The grinch and the who's go to a heated 60 minute broadway but he agrees to come back the next year to put them over. But that falls through when they discover his heart grew due to large drug use

Now THAT is a movie I'd pay to see! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Cactus Colm

I was watching the Heroes of Wrestling PPV a while back on youtube ... it's brilliantly awful.. which featured Jake Roberts, Yokozuna, King Kong Bundy, and Jim Neidhart in the main event. Yoko was massive at time, and died about a year later, checking on wikipedia it said that he was intentionally gaining weight to get up to around 850lbs .. so I was wondering, is this true? And was there a particular reason he was trying to get up to this weight?

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

I doubt it to be honest. He was a great big man though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

He was under the impression that the bigger he got, the more he would be worth. When he realised that wasn't the case he tried to slim down but it was too late for him. WCW I believe even told him get down to a certain weight and we'll sign you.

I think it's one of those movies where you can say, the book is better (The Grinch). Dr. Seuss reads a lot better than the likes of Vince Russo when it comes to this stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    He was under the impression that the bigger he got, the more he would be worth. When he realised that wasn't the case he tried to slim down but it was too late for him. WCW I believe even told him get down to a certain weight and we'll sign you.

That's the wanted him for WCW Slamboree 1999. A lot of US states - New York for example wouldn't let him wrestle due to his health. WWF would have bought him back too if he lost weight. Vince liked himb and Undertaker was like his best friend.

I loved Bret Hart's anecdote about him eating everything around him, then flying into a rage when there was no Diet Coke and just regular left in the catering department at shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

rovert wrote: »
    That's the wanted him for WCW Slamboree 1999. A lot of US states - New York for example wouldn't let him wrestle due to his health.

at the end he couldnt attain a wrestling licence in the states at all due to his weight/health issues, not sure how much wcw wanted him, i know hogan wanted him in wcw because he needed to get that win back :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

What was the first known instance of a table being used in a wrestling match? Was it something that started in the 90's or was it ever used before then?

Also, I just recently got Sky back in and seen that there's a TNA's Greatest Matches show on the Extreme Sports Channel. Looks to be on for 2 hours every night, it may be worth checking out.

Advertisement