Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Sounds like a CZW deathmatch in 2005 era

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

CZW and the like often glued them to plastic baseball bats.

On the subject of bottles, are they always real? I've seen them not always break so I assume at least some of the time they are real.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    CZW and the like often glued them to plastic baseball bats.

On the subject of bottles, are they always real? I've seen them not always break so I assume at least some of the time they are real.

Most often real some are used as is and some are put into an oven before hand to soften them up. Remember when Jericho's bottle smashed before contact on Punk? I assume that was sugar glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Remember Sabu trying to break a real beer bottle over Mick Foley's head in ECW?the bottle wouldn't break for ages and all you could hear was the sick thud of glass on skull.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lebowskilite

Foley being the exception :P

You can see a few in his forehead at the end of the video.

I was literally about to go looking for such a video. Foley being pedigreed into thumbtacks was so horrifying at the time (I was 10) and I looked for WWF tapings wherever I could find them after that. Mostly staying over at my friend-who-had-Sky's house on appropriate nights - WWF Heat just didn't cut the mustard after that, y'know...

I have two questions:

Do people know of anyone else who used thumbtacks since in WWF/E? I'm drawing a massive blank to think of any but I'm sure they're not THAT rare.

Do people know if Jericho used real whiskey, etc. during the feud with Punk? I only wonder because I'm fairly certain Punk would have a few grazes and cuts here and there that would sting like a mutha****a.
    Then again, the walls of jericho probably aren't a basket of flowers for the back either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

It would seem Mrs Foley's baby boy was the main man when it came to being a human pin cushion. Tacks have been used in his matches against HHH, Randy Orton at Backlash and against Edge in their Hardcore match at Wrestlemania 22.

Here's a sneak peak

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Do people know of anyone else who used thumbtacks since in WWF/E? I'm drawing a massive blank to think of any but I'm sure they're not THAT rare.

I can only think of other Foley matches; vs Orton and vs Edge in those two amazing Hardcore matches they had spring to mind, and at ONS2 (w/Edge vs Dreamer & Funk) as well if I remember right. I think, in WWE, they've become wholey associated with Foley
    Do people know if Jericho used real whiskey, etc. during the feud with Punk? I only wonder because I'm fairly certain Punk would have a few grazes and cuts here and there that would sting like a mutha****a.
    Then again, the walls of jericho probably aren't a basket of flowers for the back either.

I would imagine it was only colored water....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Do people know if Jericho used real whiskey, etc. during the feud with Punk?

Nope, TSC is right, it's just coloured water like they use in the movies. Also the bottle was fake too, it actually broke/exploded in Jericho's hand if you watch closely. Just like James Storm's beer bottles! Sugarcane glass i believe.

Go to 2:56 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

They couldn't expect CM Punk to do something like that when he's so adamantly straight edge. Wouldn't exactly look the best sitting next to the Wellness Policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

DAMN! I thought it was diet pepsi! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Plus taking the corner of a real glass JD bottle to the temple could be fatal. There's way any rationale person in wrestling would agree to use a real bottle, also WWE would leave themselves open to severe legal repercussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Makes me think of Goldberg in WCW, where he was booked to smash a car's glass (with hiding a pipe in his sleeve). He refused to do that, so they offered to make the window out of sugarcane glass instead. He refused THAT, saying he legit wants to smash a car door's glass. So he did, and cut his arm deep and long. Was inches away from actually losing the arm. Out for a year. Muppet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Plus taking the corner of a real glass JD bottle to the temple could be fatal. There's way any rationale person in wrestling would agree to use a real bottle, also WWE would leave themselves open to severe legal repercussions.

Not in WWE or the like but I could see it happening in some Indy shows. A lot of guys do be desperate to be remembered so would be willing to do something stupid to make that happen. IWA:MS (and I'm sure others) ran deathmatch shows in front of probably 30 people. Guys were shortening their careers in the hopes of being called back for the next show to wrestle in front of the same amount.

People kinda think when they're performing that they're immortal, no? They're not only shortening their careers but their lives as well. I remember Bill Goldberg smashing the glass but I didn't realise that he was out for a year, and never heard the injury was so bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

I remember Batista being interviewed on some kids show about what the best thing about being champ was and he said something like "The private jet they let you use."

Do they still do this? Did they ever do it?

Afaik, the jet is mainly reserved for McMahon usage (Vince, Steph and HHH).

The creative staff use it as well on show days, where they go over the show as they head to the arena.

Sometimes it gets used for special trips as well (Lawler got to use it, for example, when he got out of hospital a few weeks back). I've heard examples of them using it to fly top guys to special events as well.

The fact Batista was best buds with HHH is probably more the reason he got to use the jet rather than the fact he was champion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

CMpunked wrote: »
    I remember Batista being interviewed on some kids show about what the best thing about being champ was and he said something like "The private jet they let you use."

Do they still do this? Did they ever do it?

Yes and Yes. Vince, management, the creative team and the tippie top talent get that perk. A recent story is that the jet flew to Montreal to pick up Lawler who was being discharged from hospital that day. WWE then flew him to Memphis. In a very nice touch Vince flew on that journey and THEN flew to a Raw taping that day.

DX also defaced the jet if you remember:

In the 1980s and 1990s, Hulk Hogan (for the most part) or whoever was champion at the time, always flew first class while everyone else flew in coach. I know that the really top talent have their own buses, CM Punk, Randy Orton, The Big Show. But Show and Orton bought theirs.

Does anyone remember or can anyone shed light on a special episode of Smackdown which was aired around 2000/2001? Smackdown Xtreme was the name of it. From what I remember, it was a Paul Heyman penned one-off show and was a little more hardcore than usual.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Omackeral wrote: »
    Does anyone remember or can anyone shed light on a special episode of Smackdown which was aired around 2000/2001? Smackdown Xtreme was the name of it. From what I remember, it was a Paul Heyman penned one-off show and was a little more hardcore than usual.

You are correct sir, there was indeed a Smackdown Xtreme episode,

here were the results from the said card,

1. Tag Team Champions Dudley Boyz d. Hardy Boyz in a tables match
    2. Women's Champion Ivory d. Lita and Jacqueline in a three-way dance
    3. Acolytes d. Edge & Christian
    4. Intercontinental Champion Chris Jericho pinned Tazz
    5. Big Show d. Billy Gunn
    6. Undertaker & Kane d. Rikishi & Haku in a first-blood match
    7. Heavyweight champion Kurt Angle d. Triple H and The Rock in a three-way dance

• Advertisement

That sounds like an awesome show. Wonder if it's on Dailymotion. I remember watching it back in the day and loving the raw (excuse the pun) feel of the episode. Like an ECW event or something. Thanks Lockie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭BohsJohnny

Pretty random question I know but was just wondering if mysterio got that much heat in Mexico when he put the mask back on when he joined wwe.

Which makes me ask the question, did he keep the mask off for a spell after losing it in WCW?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Anybody got a link to the ThrillMurrayVEVO Raw in 5 minutes with the Cena vs Miz Pokémon battle?

Can`t find it anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

I'd love to see Cold Cabana live, what are the chances of an Irish promoter booking him for a show?
    (AFAIK he's going to Australia so I'm sure he'll travel)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

I'd love to see Cold Cabana live, what are the chances of an Irish promoter booking him for a show?
    (AFAIK he's going to Australia so I'm sure he'll travel)

Colt would wrestle out your back garden if the money was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Which makes me ask the question, did he keep the mask off for a spell after losing it in WCW?
    Rey wrestled for ages in wcw without the mask. He was part of a group with Kidman, the name escapes me at the moment, but the whole time without a mask. He was also maskless in the movie Ready to Rumble.

Colt would wrestle out your back garden if the money was right.

We need a PW Boards.ie Back Garden Wrestling show, starring Colt Cabana and Mick Foley....

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Rey wrestled for ages in wcw without the mask. He was part of a group with Kidman, the name escapes me at the moment, but the whole time without a mask. He was also maskless in the movie Ready to Rumble.

The Filthy Animals. Kind of a tweener group. Also had Konnan, Disco Inferno and maybe Eddie.

• Advertisement

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Yeah I think Eddie was in that group, I remember it from his book, maybe....

Advertisement