Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭bobby_says_hi

RE: The title change question

this year Primo and Epico actually won their Tag Team titles off Air Boom at a house show in January but that was because Evan Bourne got suspended so they had to drop the titles at the show and have their rematch the next night on Raw so he could be taken off TV
    and back in 2007 Mickie James accidentally won the Women's title off Melina in a triple threat match when Victoria messed up and didn't kick out of the pin. they had a rematch later in the night and Melina won the title back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Omackeral wrote: »
    Edge won his first Intercontinental Championship on a house show back in 1999 from Jeff Jarrett.

Bret Hart won the WWF Championship from Ric Flair on a house show in 1992, if you can grasp that one!

As an add-on to this, Jeff Jarrett won the title back the next night on PPV. The only reason I can think of why they let Edge hold it for 24 hours is because the house show was in Ontario. Also worth noting that Owen Hart was booked to win the IC title two months prior. After he died, they gave the belt to Jarrett (Owen's best friend) out of respect to Owen.

As for the Bret Hart win, take your pick from any of the several theory's out there-
    -Flair had announced that he was finishing up with the company and they wanted the belt off him asap (4 months later he was back in WCW);
    -Flair had suffered a major ear injury and had to drop the belt asap;
    -WWF had planned to televise it but the match was so bad because Flair couldn't balance properly due to ear problems that they changed their mind about airing it;
    -WWF didn't televise it because they wanted to release it as a special feature on home video to boost video sales.

Another famous one is Kevin Nash beating Bob Buckland for the WWF title in 8 seconds on a house show at Madison Square Garden.

Also there is an ECW house show title change which involved Tazz beating Mike Awesome, which was bizarre because at the time Tazz was a WWF wrestler and Awesome had just signed for WCW.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Headshot wrote: »
    Whats the difference money wise between the attitude era and the PG era?

Financial Year End | Profit/Loss ($ in million)
    Apr 30, 1997 | -06.51
    Apr 30, 1998 | 08.45
    Apr 30, 1999 | 56.03
    Apr 30, 2000 | 68.97
    Apr 30, 2001 | 15.99*
    ... | ...
    Dec 31, 2008 | 45.42
    Dec 31, 2009 | 50.3
    Dec 31, 2010 | 53.45
    Dec 31, 2011 | 24.83**

* this includes the loss of 68.99 loss on the failed XFL. Otherwise they made a record 84.98.

**after shouldering WWE Film losses of 23.4 and sinking 4 into startup costs for the WWE network. Otherwise they made 52.2.

Source : PiledriverWrestling.net

Overall for putting on such a cold product, they're still pulling in over 50 million. That's quite impressive, a very well run company, selling wrestling at least.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

TheBantam wrote: »
    If they don't why advertise as a championship match when everyone knows the outcome.

Since others have covered the first part of your question, I'll cover the second...

Going to any staged show, be it wrestling or otherwise, requires the audience member to suspend their disbelief. You attend pretending that the show you're being presented with is real. With house shows, you have to forget that the show you're seeing is likely identical to the one the night before and the night before and the night before that.

Different people go for different reasons; little kids and marks will quite easily forget title changes never happen on house shows, especially if they haven't gone to many. Personally, I go for the fun of cheering and chanting, watching the show with a huge crowd and for the quality of the match. Case and point, Cena vs Ziggler in Dublin last night was always, ALWAYS ending with a clean Cena win. But that doesn't change the fact it was a great and engaging match-up.

If they didn't advertise title matches, people would complain they weren't defending the title. And to kids and marks, they get to say they saw a title defended. I was able to predict the outcome of every match last night, title or non-title, and it didn't ruin the experience. There's more to the shows than results.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Horsebox9000

Two questions.

What was the story with Mideon and where is he these days?

Who was the man that won the womens championship from Ivory(could have been someone else, was years ago) and where is he now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Two questions.

What was the story with Mideon and where is he these days?

Who was the man that won the womens championship from Ivory(could have been someone else, was years ago) and where is he now?
    Mideon was originally Phynnius Godwinn, and when the Undertaker was assembling his Ministry of Darkness, he would possess other superstars,who then became his followers. APA, and Viscera were also Ministry members.

When the Ministry kinda split, Mideon became more of a bit part player,eventually becoming Naked Mideon. Not sure where he is now tho.

I think it was Stevie Richards won the Women's title,but I'm open to correction

Harvey Whippleman IIRC?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Harvina :pac:

I'm nearly sure I read in one of Mick Foleys books that Mideon played "fake Mankind" in these DX videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Who was the man that won the womens championship from Ivory

Chyna.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,138 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I know he was taken off air supposedly due to appearing at Bound For Glory or some TNA show, but where's Christian these days?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I know he was taken off air supposedly due to appearing at Bound For Glory or some TNA show, but where's Christian these days?

Christian is expected back at the end of November or early December after shoulder surgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Why do RAW's finish 15 minutes late and PPV's finish 15 minutes early? And how long has that tradition gone on for? If anything it would make more sense to have PPVs go longer as there is no tv schedules, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,138 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I don't know for sure but the reason for RAW finishing late is to either get the audience switching over from something else they've been watching or to keep the audience past the start of other channel's shows, so they may stay on USA. Or maybe both. :)

As for PPVs finishing early, I know I heard a reason but I can't remember. But I do know that was why Vince blew his knee out at Royal Rumble back when Batista and Cena were fighting over who won. They weren't even at 3 hours but Vince came out to end it and damaged his knee getting into the ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Its how WCW got good ratings for their last hour. They would go over the time the ratings only goes by the first 15 mins of the hour or something like that (not sure if it is still the same) so. when all other shows were over everybody flicked channels and WCW was the only thing on so they watched that for a bit then the ratings would come in and and WCW could say Oh look we got an extra 3 million viewers for the last hour. When really that last hour was just 15 mins but they get credited for the whole hour.

Could be something Vince is taping into.

As far as I know, WWE pay for a set amount of PPV time. If they go over that time, they will most likely get cut off before the show ends.

I have memories of hearing it happened at a WCW PPV where they went over time without warning the providers of an over-run, so the PPV was turned off before the main event even aired. They ended up having to put the PPV main event on the next episode of Nitro.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

As far as I know, WWE pay for a set amount of PPV time. If they go over that time, they will most likely get cut off before the show ends.

I have memories of hearing it happened at a WCW PPV where they went over time without warning the providers of an over-run, so the PPV was turned off before the main event even aired. They ended up having to put the PPV main event on the next episode of Nitro.

That's right it was Halloween Havoc 98 with DDP and Goldberg I think, the story features in the Rise and Fall of WCW DVD. They had to refund everyone who bought the ppv as well as airing the main event for free the next night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

This is right. It goes back to the analogue days to my understanding where they would use the final 15 minutes in the three hours to schill the next showing of the PPV occurring at the start of the next hour. It was in the best interests in the cable company and content provider to do that. I am fairly sure too from a live broadcast perspective companies could only buy satellite time by the hour so it would be silly to go 3hr 15mins.

CALL YOUR OPERATOR NOW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Was the shirt Gangrel wore a slight Seinfeld reference or was it just a puffy shirt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I always thought he just wore those shirts because they were the type of shirts you'd see vampires wear in some media (Lestat in Interview With The Vampire for example). Could be wrong though. ;)

• Advertisement

Yeah, I think they are just stereotypical Gothic shirts.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Two multi-part questions.

1. Did Vader miss Wrestlemania 14 solely due to the storyline injury inflicted on him by Kane (shot to the head with a wrench) at the No Way Out of Texas PPV? Did he leave the company on bad terms?

2. What was Ahmed Johnson's last appearance for the WWF? I recall him also being at No Way Out 98 in a 10 man tag, but was that his farewell? Was he let go due to being injury prone or had they just given up on him? Was he ever considered for a run with the WWF Championship?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,747 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

What is happening with Eddie and Vickie's daughter? Is she still with WWE?

I thought she might be brought up to the main show and paired with her mother

Didn't she request and receive her release? Reports I read (iirc) was she was doing a Beautiful People gimmick but was lacking a fraction of the talent her Papi had...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    What is happening with Eddie and Vickie's daughter? Is she still with WWE?

I thought she might be brought up to the main show and paired with her mother
    I think she made it to NXT, but has since been released.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

She requested her release, a few months back. Vickie mentioned it on Twitter if I recall correctly.

Does anybody know what happened to Ric Flair's son Reid? I remember his dad talked him up big time in 2008 when he made his debut in Charlotte.

He must be 24 or 5 at this stage, any progression on his career?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Does anybody know what happened to Ric Flair's son Reid? I remember his dad talked him up big time in 2008 when he made his debut in Charlotte.

He must be 24 or 5 at this stage, any progression on his career?

He's been arrested a few times, including one while in possession of some form of heroin. With issues like that, I can't see WWE showing much interest. TNA probably wouldn't even be interested unless it was to secure someone else as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Sounds like the apple didn't fall far from the tree. He's working up the Nature Boy gimmick without even being signed to any company. Was he any use in the ring, do ye know?

• Advertisement

Sounds like the apple didn't fall far from the tree. He's working up the Nature Boy gimmick without even being signed to any company. Was he any use in the ring, do ye know?

I saw him on video a couple of times early in his career. He looked average but he was very young and I presumed he'd come along.

It's sad to hear that he's got himself into trouble, he's still young though in wrestling terms so he could yet turn things around for himself.

Advertisement