Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

On NXT, do the rookies know who is going each week or is it genuine when they are overcome with emotion when they dont expect it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

CMpunked wrote: »
    On NXT, do the rookies know who is going each week or is it genuine when they are overcome with emotion when they dont expect it?

AFAIK, it's real. There's no point in scripting it, sure half the fun is watching them stumble and seeing them improve. Sure Joe Hennig was told 'rehearse a promo for winning NXT' before the show started, but he lost the competition -- and had to change his promo on the spot (which is why he kept saying "the moment" :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Morninglory

Of course there's feuds; they are and have always been the building blocks of wrestling. Or wait, do you mean legit feuds? As in backstage problems?

Also, Shelton was relased a few months back and is doing the Indy rounds in America (and iirc in Europe) at the moment.

I meant legit feuds. What wrestlers despise each other in real life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭viper.10

after seeing the run in between brock and taker at a recent ufc event, i thought i saw somewhere that there was real backstage heat between brock and triple h, is this true? and also has scott steiner had any feuds with anybody in real life, he just comes accross as somebody would could piss people of real easy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Jolt2007

viper.10 wrote: »
    and also has scott steiner had any feuds with anybody in real life, he just comes accross as somebody would could piss people of real easy
    He beat the piss out of DDP when DDP tried to stand up to him
    It took about seven wrestlers to pry Scott Steiner off of Dallas Page backstage at Nitro. Page was upset at Steiner for making comments about him on the air. The Page-Steiner problems resurfaced last week when Page refused to work house shows against Steiner because of comments Steiner had made to his wife in the past. Nitro was built around teasing a mystery opponent for a three-way title match at WCW
    Sin. The match features Steiner vs. Jeff Jarrett vs. a mystery opponent. Steiner went on the air and improvised a promo saying that Ric Flair
    better not insert Page into the match. He took some shots at Page in the process, suggesting that Page have a sex change "so he has the balls to come and face me." He called on Ric Flair to send Page to the bush leagues where he belongs. He made fun of his "badda bing" catch phrase and said he'll always be white trash. He begged Flair to make Page his next opponent. The comments were improvised. Page is not scheduled to be the mystery partner or face Steiner at any time. Steiner just wanted an excuse to rip on Page on the air. When Steiner returned to the back, Page approached him. He shoved him. Steiner retaliated against Page and pummeled him until wrestlers separated them. Page and Kevin Nash left the arena together. Page and Nash were supposed to be involved with the Natural Born Thrillers
    later, but because they left, the NBT segment was changed.

-The fight itself lasted less than 30 seconds, and probably closer to 10 seconds, before more than a half-dozen wrestlers intervened and pulled Steiner off of Page. All sources for the story agree that Steiner dominated Page. Page had a huge mark on his face from the fight. "Steiner tried to take his eye out," says one wrestler. One report said Steiner filed his nails earlier in the day and if he hadn't, Page might have lost an eye. Page was bleeding when he got up. He left shortly thereafter with buddy Kevin Nash (who politically, because of the belief that Eric Bischoff is buying WCW, sticks close to Bischoff's buddy Page).

-The general attitude among some wrestlers backstage in reaction to the fight is that Page got what he had coming. The perception of Page is that he is coddled and privileged and gets his way when push comes to shove. He also, perhaps unfairly, receives heat because of comments by his wife, Kimberly. Some wrestlers also expressed that Page shouldn't have left the show early, causing a disruption of the booking plans, considering that he instigated the backstage situation. Steiner, though, was clearly taunting Page by making his unscripted, unauthorized on-air comments about Page needing a sex change operation. Page, though, has also made unscripted, unapproved comments recently on the air. He was told not to talk about Scott Hall, but he did anyway.
    source: http://www.24wrestling.com/index.php?id=extras/604

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭backrow67n8

What did DDP say about Scott Hall?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Balasubbie

With the claimed exception of Mad Man Manson, are there any wrestlers on the Irish indy scene making a living strictly off wrestling?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭FFPW Office

No - No one on the Irish scene makes enough money to get by on a weekly basis, some will say when asked that they are full-time wrestlers because that is the only thing they do. But in reality its only because they get paided from the old social welfare and have no job.

Thats not to say the top guys in Ireland don't make money because they do - but a show in Germany every month or an AWR tour once or twice a year doesn't justify giving up a weekly wage. But when we wrestle we get paided well its just not regular enough.

No - No one on the Irish scene makes enough money to get by on a weekly basis, some will say when asked that they are full-time wrestlers because that is the only thing they do. But in reality its only because they get paided from the old social welfare and have no job.

Thats not to say the top guys in Ireland don't make money because they do - but a show in Germany every month or an AWR tour once or twice a year doesn't justify giving up a weekly wage. But when we wrestle we get paided well its just not regular enough.

Thanks for answering so quickly. Can I ask one more? D'you have any tips for someone honestly wanting to make a go of it? Asides from training, being good, and knowing the right people?

Get training! Join a wrestling school, the level of the Irish guys in the ring is one of the best in the world imo. Now for every Fergal Devitt there will be 5 Conor Hurley's, but the guys in this country at the top know their stuff, the like of Sean 'Maxer' Brennan and Paddy Morrow could go with any top American talent (as they do with AWR) but their size and look don't make for WWE TV.

My point is Train in Ireland at the start for a couple of years at least. If WWE is your goal but you don't have the 'Look' then save your money training here and go to Florida and train under their noses for as long as you can when your ready, if your good they'll keep you. But don't go to florida or anywhere outside Ireland if you don't have training under your belt, In Ireland you can train for €15 a week... In the USA you'll pay about 2,000 - 3,000 dollars per year.

• Advertisement

Cheers for the info, sir. Will keep in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Morninglory

What's Paul heyman doing these days? Always liked that mad bastard.

He works on his celeb website the Heyman Hustle, hanging out with best mate Brock Lesnar (working on his biography) and trying to get some TV show made.

He expressed interest in working in TNA (after Dixie reached out for him) but talks have broken down completely, after Dixie would not give him hiring and firing power. :(

To anyone watching wrestling during the mid-late 90s in Ireland.

Was there a way to watch WCW Nitro every week? What channel was it on? Or was it some awful recap show? Did we ever get thunder? What package did it come under?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭chordtype

To the best of my knowledge, Nitro was shown on Friday nights on TNT, after Cartoon Network went off the air. Can't remember much more than that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Get training! Join a wrestling school, the level of the Irish guys in the ring is one of the best in the world imo. Now for every Fergal Devitt there will be 5 Conor Hurley's, but the guys in this country at the top know their stuff, the like of Sean 'Maxer' Brennan and Paddy Morrow could go with any top American talent (as they do with AWR) but their size and look don't make for WWE TV.

My point is Train in Ireland at the start for a couple of years at least. If WWE is your goal but you don't have the 'Look' then save your money training here and go to Florida and train under their noses for as long as you can when your ready, if your good they'll keep you. But don't go to florida or anywhere outside Ireland if you don't have training under your belt, In Ireland you can train for €15 a week... In the USA you'll pay about 2,000 - 3,000 dollars per year.

Out of interest, have you any advice for someone who would love to preform as a manager or some other similiar role? I adore wrestling and preforming on stage but I've got really bad knees due to a medical condition so the idea of actually "working" is out of the question unfortunatly :/ How would one get started in that way, given that training would then be lower down on the priority list?

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭StoneColdFan

Out of interest, have you any advice for someone who would love to preform as a manager or some other similiar role? I adore wrestling and preforming on stage but I've got really bad knees due to a medical condition so the idea of actually "working" is out of the question unfortunatly :/ How would one get started in that way, given that training would then be lower down on the priority list?

Same situation i was thinking of joining a wrestling school two years ago but due to a medical condition i couldn't i love wrestling id like to get involved be a ref or a manager or even help out at shows anything like that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

jaykhunter wrote: »

Was there a way to watch WCW Nitro every week? What channel was it on? Or was it some awful recap show? Did we ever get thunder? What package did it come under?

When Sky was taken off the air from Cablelink at the time (late 1992),viewers were unable to watch the then WWF.

Every Saturday afternoon UTV would show WCW.So while you couldn't watch the likes of Bret Hitman Hart,Macho Man and Hulk Hogan,you could watch the likes of Arn Anderson,Sting,Vader,Cactus Jack and Paul Orndorff.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭mitchmeister

yea mondays nitro was shown on the friday night, with thursdays thunder been shown immediately after nitro or on the sat night.....ppvs we never got to see sadly...

loved my friday nights watching nitro....thats why i preferred wcw....it was free to watch and it had all the old wwf stars

where did shawn michaels get the Heartbreak Kid name from?
    has it anything to do with the 70s movie on channel 4 right now?

• Advertisement

CMpunked wrote: »
    where did shawn michaels get the Heartbreak Kid name from?
    has it anything to do with the 70s movie on channel 4 right now?

Curt Hennig

chordtype wrote: »
    Curt Hennig

Really? cool.
    Is there a story behind it?

IIRC it was in Shawn's book. Perfect was announcing and called him the Heartbreak Kid and then suggested that he use it as a nickname.

I could just be imagining things though.

Same situation i was thinking of joining a wrestling school two years ago but due to a medical condition i couldn't i love wrestling id like to get involved be a ref or a manager or even help out at shows anything like that

We are crying out for non-wrestling roles at the moment, come down to our open day next week and have a chat with us and we'll discuss what roles you can do and how we can help.

Has anyone heard of WrestlingEpicCenter.com? I want to order a rare DVD from there but I've never heard of them before so a bit suspicious about giving my CC details. Thought I'd ask around before deciding what to do.

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Has anyone heard of WrestlingEpicCenter.com? I want to order a rare DVD from there but I've never heard of them before so a bit suspicious about giving my CC details. Thought I'd ask around before deciding what to do.

Cheers :)

Ask them if they will accept Paypal instead, much safer way of payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Bit of a silly hypothetical question really, but imagine if WWE RAW was to become shown on PPV only, say 10 dollars a week, and the traditional PPV's were shown for free, how much of an impact would that have on business?

I for one would rather pay to watch RAW more than any monthly PPV except maybe Wrestlemania and Royal Rumble.

I don't think people would pay a little a week since we've been getting it free for over 15 years now. I don't know how TNA survived with doing weekly PPVs. But they weren't also doing PPVs...(answer afaik, they didn't lol, Dixie bankrolled them as they've never been profitable!)

With WWE being on course for over 600,000 PPV buys less in 2010, you'd think their TV/PPV schedule has to change. You can't just keep adding hours of programming and it have no effect.

I can't see WWE ever dropping below 12 PPVs/year...unless WWE are complete retards, I hope their TV deals more than balance out their PPV losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

I don't think people would pay a little a week since we've been getting it free for over 15 years now. I don't know how TNA survived with doing weekly PPVs. But they weren't also doing PPVs...(answer afaik, they didn't lol, Dixie bankrolled them as they've never been profitable!)

They were profitable for a while in 2009.
    I can't see WWE ever dropping below 12 PPVs/year...unless WWE are complete retards, I hope their TV deals more than balance out their PPV losses.

WWE don't lose money on PPV's - they just don't make nearly as much as they used to.

• Advertisement

They were profitable for a while in 2009.

Break even, hovered just above even might be more accurate lol. Nevermind, they've plummeted back into the red with HogOff :(
    WWE don't lose money on PPV's - they just don't make nearly as much as they used to.

Should've been clearer, I meant potential lost revenues - i.e. the money WWE has "lost" from not getting the same # of PPV buys this year vs the money gained from new TV deals of NXT/Tough Enough/those extra NBC specials/3 hour RAWs.

Like do the new TV deals offset the amount PPVs they didn't get this year, do the swings make up for the roundabouts lol

Advertisement