Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

lockie1983 wrote: »
    Pffft that's nothing back in the attitude era the wwf title match would en up in the crowd for about 10 minutes and all JR would say was Earl Hebner is being lenient with regards the countout rule tonight and rightly so its for the WWF title.

ha yeah, or someone would get dq'ed for being hit with a chair at the end of the match or outside interference, but not for being put through one or both announce tables and maybe flung in a river during the bout itself :pac:

CMpunked wrote: »
    He's done a few axxess signings in the last few years. Very strange to see him sitting there in a normal environment.

If I was Taker I'd troll people constantly, down doing the week shop in my ShredderTaker jacket

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Throwing someone into an object isn't the same as using an object to hit someone though. The logic that says putting someone through a table equals a dq also suggests you should get dq'd for body slamming an opponent in the middle of the ring or throwing them into the ring ropes.

I hate when people over thinking things makes be over think things!

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Throwing someone into an object isn't the same as using an object to hit someone though. The logic that says putting someone through a table equals a dq also suggests you should get dq'd for body slamming an opponent in the middle of the ring or throwing them into the ring ropes.

I hate when people over thinking things makes be over think things!

I was joking :pac: It is wrestling logic after all, dropping someone on a chair= grand, picking up same chair and twatting them in the head= disqualified!

its like in First Blood matches where people bleed accidentally and they don't stop it, so you have JR cover it up saying "ohh they won't stop this for a nosebleed or tiny cut" KOTR 98 comes to mind with Austin v Kane, Austin got cut open early into the match if I remember right but it wasn't that bad so kept going.

Sorry, my last line was meant to show I wasn't taking it serious as well.

that failed so!

• Advertisement

the closed fist punch rule I always found funny, so I can pick you up and drill you head first into the mat but I can't hit you a dig. then you have Big Show going around knocking people out willy nilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lebowskilite

...and Taker punching the lights out of Punk!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭srm23

Taker didn't mind breaking Kayfabe at UFC last year

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Yeah, but that wasn't a WWE event, so that's completely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭srm23

He Hugged DX at wrestlemania

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Can you good people on here recommend me some Cesaro matches to watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Clemantis

Adiboo wrote: »
    His best work in WWE has been with Randy Orton in my opinion. His stuff with Miz and R-Truth was very meh. But also check out his match with Khali, just for the sheer spectacle of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Why ask so many questions about rules about matches where the result is predetermined?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Clemantis

garhjw wrote: »
    Why ask so many questions about rules about matches where the result is predetermined?

Because a fictional world is no fun without structures that are at least somewhat defined.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

garhjw wrote: »

Trying to explain things in kayfabe is a lot of fun. It's our equivalent of proposing plugs to movie plot holes. It also pokes fun at people who both believe wrestling is real and people who think that we think it's real.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Trying to explain things in kayfabe is a lot of fun. It's our equivalent of proposing plugs to movie plot holes. It also pokes fun at people who both believe wrestling is real and people who think that we think it's real.

There's a real interesting column and related audio from Bruce Mitchell on the Pro Wrestling Torch pay site about Wrestling possibly having too a too steep of a learning curve for adult new fans. Drawing the comparison to comic books and how much they draw from back stories and prior editions of other comic books. The logical underpinnings of Wrestling have eroded - there are no Championship rankings and a lot of Wrestling relies on "just coz" level or massively convoluted explanations.

What Bruce fixated on was the crowd not caring about the main of the biggest card of year, cheering heel Ziggler winning MiTB, Fandango-ing a hardworking Sheamus-Orton match and the lol we are all smarks inside joke about the Shimmer attendance:

Much prefer kayfabe explanations as at least they are communicable to normal people and there is far less self loathing involved. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Adiboo wrote: »

PrIor to wwe, he was in a tag team with Chris Hero (Kassius Ohno) called the kings of wrestling. They had some great matches in the indies, mainly roh. I second the Randy Orton nomination from above for wwe matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Can someone give me the origins of the peoples elbow? Like, was it something that developed over time or did it just appear one night?

Managed to track it down, Raw Is War – October 6, 1997 (aka The Brian Pillman Tribute show) Rocky Maivia breaks out the people's elbow (sans theatrics) on the British Bulldog. Almost no reaction. Who would have known the move would win world championships!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Something I noticed recently looking back on events from the attitude era, why do they take the monitors out when they are about to put someone through the announcers table, surely leaving them in would cause more damage?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I'd say cause if they left them in, there's a legitimate chance for someone to get badly hurt by them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Kolido wrote: »
    Something I noticed recently looking back on events from the attitude era, why do they take the monitors out when they are about to put someone through the announcers table, surely leaving them in would cause more damage?

There's no give in them so they'd legitimately hurt pretty bad and I'd imagine they probably cost a good bit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

There's no give in them so they'd legitimately hurt pretty bad and I'd imagine they probably cost a good bit too.

I always wondered how much they would go for, because when they remove them from the table they just tend to toss them aside without any care.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Yeah I understand they could cause serious injury, and I agree they have to remove them.
    But if your a real bad ass, taking then out looks like you are showing your opponent some mercy, has it every been acknowledge, or it is just never mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I think its because it cost so much to replace the monitors, a lot of tables broken a year and at 2 a table would rack up a fair cost over a year

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Is the current Raw thread the most commented/viewed one in PW Boards history?! It's still active nearly a week on.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭srfc d16

Omackeral wrote: »
    Is the current Raw thread the most commented/viewed one in PW Boards history?! It's still active nearly a week on.

I don't know the answer to your question but i would guess the cm punk "pipe bomb" episode had more.

Its getting there, RAW from 14 Feb 11 has more - night of the Wrestlemania guest host for mania 27 was announced.

maybe another show could have more. I had a quick scan using the sort by replies option.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

I have a theory about the table monitors.

Underneath them is a trigger which makes the table open a release mechanism to allow the tables to collapse.
    This could be why the tables, even with considerable force fail to fall apart. For example is like the macho man elbow drop on taker, so maybe the trigger wasnt fully depressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Omackeral wrote: »

The most is, as DM-ICE just pointed out is the raw when the rock was announced as wm 27 host.
    That has 777 replies and this weeks raw is behind with 701 replies.

The raw threads that follow that are the Raw 1000 thread with 667 replies,
    Then the raw where Punk returned following his MITB win with 641,
    After that one is the Raw where taker returned, had the silent promo with HHH and the rock concert/cena rap with 633,
    Following all of those is last years post mania Raw with 570 replies.

Edit. Feck it, i'm going to keep going:

The Jeri-troll raw has 490,
    The Raw from the 14th of March 2011 (nothing really memorable happened here, it seems.) has 471
    Then is the Raw following Punks return from 5 above. 432 replies.
    Then the Raw which Bret Hart hosted and infamously buried the hatchet with HBK and that has 427.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,013 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Surprised the NXT Invasion Raw doesn't have most posts.

Probably because it was split between the Raw and Danielson Fired threads.

Advertisement