Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭srm23

if i can ever ask vince mcmahon 3 questions i would ask...."Are you really Vince Mcmahon? Really?....so did macho man bang stephanie?"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Someone should ask Stephanie on Twitter :D
    JJayoo wrote: »
    Vince prob walked in on them
    He was in the corner jacking off :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Alright lads, classier than that please. Women and children visit the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Alright lads, classier than that please. Women and children visit the forum.

Oh no, PW Boards is going PG!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Do we know if wrestlers are called by their ring names (or variations) by their colleagues/management.

I understand Triple H is called Hunter. Is Mark Calaway/Undertaker called ''Taker'' by those backstage? Is Phil Brooks called Punk by his peers? How bout Kane?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Omackeral wrote: »
    Do we know if wrestlers are called by their ring names (or variations) by their colleagues/management.

I understand Triple H is called Hunter. Is Mark Calaway/Undertaker called ''Taker'' by those backstage? Is Phil Brooks called Punk by his peers? How bout Kane?

Prob a mixture tbh although part of me really hopes Trips is referred to as The King of Kings in board meetings, I bet his chair in the office is the throne from Mania 22 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

I doubt they call Matt Bloom 'Sweet T' :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Ive heard Taker used a bit in shoot interviews, so I'd say that's what he's called. Punk seems a bit better than Phil to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,044 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

How much control do the wrestlers have over their merchandise and their ring gear outside of the trademark get up?

I'm talking more about the guys like Punk and Cena who'd wear their t-shirts to the ring or Brodus Clay who wears jackets, but not guys who'd have set attire and design like Taker or Kane if ya get me. Are they told what to wear, do they have limited freedom (ie you can design your jacket but make sure its flamboyant and blue etc), or do they have significant freedom?

Would they get any input into their merchandise and t-shirt design, or would there be teams designing everything and the talent more or less told what's being sold with their name on it?

Sorry, lots of qs there! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

How much control do the wrestlers have over their merchandise and their ring gear outside of the trademark get up?

I'm talking more about the guys like Punk and Cena who'd wear their t-shirts to the ring or Brodus Clay who wears jackets, but not guys who'd have set attire and design like Taker or Kane if ya get me. Are they told what to wear, do they have limited freedom (ie you can design your jacket but make sure its flamboyant and blue etc), or do they have significant freedom?

Would they get any input into their merchandise and t-shirt design, or would there be teams designing everything and the talent more or less told what's being sold with their name on it?

Sorry, lots of qs there! :)

I know Ryder came up with his one legged tights so they do have some input (though its likely noone really cared what he was wearing at that point)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Strikes me that most have very little input into their merch. Ryder is an example of someone who seemed to design an image, and then WWE took that image and gleamed it up (the headbands, for instance, were on ZTLIS before they were available in shops). I'm sure if they offer ideas, it will be incorporated as well if they are good, but it strikes me most just keep away from that aspect of things.

Most of them seem to get their gear designed by the same woman iirc, but I would say 100% of a wrestler's image has to be cleared with management before they step through the curtains. At best, guys like Punk or Cena may have a decent amount of power over how they look, but I'd say Vince and co. get the last word.

But I'd say most of the undercard would be so thrilled to even get a shirt, they aren't going to kick up a fuss about design...

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭bobby_says_hi

I think in TNA they have more control. Roxxi said in an interview that after she got her head shaved she wore a t-shirt that said "Carpet, No Curtains" for a while. Then Dixie eventually figured out what it meant and said she couldn't wear it on TV

I remember an ex-writer posting backstage info and he said that the big guys do indeed have almost complete control over their own merchandise and characters. The lower carders do get some input as well though as Cody Rhodes wearing the long black coat in 2011 was his own idea. Presumably if creative comes up with their gimmick then they also dictate the gear and merchandise but if they don't have a noteworthy gimmick then they can probably have more input

Re: the names question - locker room etiquette says that newer wrestlers have to address the veterans by whatever name they introduce themselves as. A lot of wrestlers consider their ring names to be their real names. Undertaker will only be called Mark by people who knew him during his "Mean" Mark Callous days and likewise Raven is only called Scotty by people who knew him as Scotty the Body. Edge has also said he prefers being called by his ring name because people know the character Edge and not Adam Copeland the person. CM Punk has said he's been called Punk since his teens. The Ultimate Warrior, "Ravishing" Rick Rude and Chyna also legally had their names changed to their ring names. But then again others don't seem to care. There was an interview with Kelly Kelly and Layla where Layla kept referring to her as Barbie, and there was a match where Ziggler was repeatedly calling her Barbie too. Apparently Ziggler himself is just called Nemeth by everyone. And AJ introduces herself as April to everyone

I've personally had a couple of experiences with the name thing. Bull Reilly out of Rough Stuff insists on being called by his ring name, especially online and he gets very pissed off when reports use his real name. I've pretty much been called Bob since I was a teenager and that's what I introduce myself as anyway. There's a few of the veterans who get called by both names - Sean Maxer will introduce himself as Sean but most people call him Maxer. All the younger trainees call Sean South by his real name but the vets all refer to him as Southy. It seems to be if someone's ring name is an actual name then that's what a lot of people will use, but if it's an obvious gimmick name then the real name is used

Regarding attire, I'd say wrestlers are free to design their own, but it needs to be approved by someone higher up before it gets used. Punk for example has a lot of different variations. I doubt he just gets handed them without warning. Daniel Bryan also has worn an attire that I've only seen him wear once. If WWE decided what they wear surely it would have been used more.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Regarding attire, I'd say wrestlers are free to design their own, but it needs to be approved by someone higher up before it gets used. Punk for example has a lot of different variations. I doubt he just gets handed them without warning. Daniel Bryan also has worn an attire that I've only seen him wear once. If WWE decided what they wear surely it would have been used more.

A lot of guys have their Mania attire as well, wearing colours or trunk/boot combos they may only wear the once.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I think it was Maria that said you can wear whatever you want, but there's guidelines of what WWE want (i.e. don't get a top with your tits hanging out) but other than that, go nuts.

They don't like it when you get tattoos or radically change your hair on a whim as it mucks up their videogame plans. I remember Shelton got his hair dyed blonde by himself and that snagged him the 'gold standard' gimmick.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭bobby_says_hi

Yes major hair changes are a big no-no and have to be approved by management. It messes up things like programs, posters, action figures, video games etc. It's almost become a tradition for the blonde Divas to go brown after leaving WWE. But then again some wrestlers get told by management to change their appearance - Christian and Test cut their hair short after being dogged about it for months

I also heard something about a backstage dress code that was instated by Johnny Ace around 2004, Molly Holly was really outspoken about it in her shoot interview. Can anyone elaborate on it?

I also heard something about a backstage dress code that was instated by Johnny Ace around 2004, Molly Holly was really outspoken about it in her shoot interview. Can anyone elaborate on it?
    I think it was simply you had to wear suits etc to and from the venue's. No casual attire.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Ryback was talking about his attire recently and before they brought him back to the main roster he said Vince handed him a black singlet to wear. Ryback hated the idea (he normally wore trunks) but he went with it and then put his own spin on it by getting some airbrushed singlets designed.

I think in a lot of cases that is what happens, the general look is decided for a wrestler but they will have a some freedom with colours etc. Unless your Stone Cold!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Yes major hair changes are a big no-no and have to be approved by management. But then again some wrestlers get told by management to change their appearance - Christian and Test cut their hair short after being dogged about it for months

That was back in the period where HHH wanted Vince to get everyone with long blond hair to cut it short so he'd stand out more. As if the shovel in his hand didn't make him stand out enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

From what I can remember Cena was the only one on the roster who was exempt from this....and Foley???....I think, when he was around.

Does anyone know where the new training centre in Orlando is going to be located? The specific address.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Why was Shane McMahon in Chris Benoit's corner for a while? 2000 anyway he seems to be his manager.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Why was Shane McMahon in Chris Benoit's corner for a while? 2000 anyway he seems to be his manager.

Storyline reason was both Shane and Benoit disliked the rock and didn't want to see him as champion so they teamed up to try and take the belt from him.

Actual reason was Benoit needed a mouthpiece for promos and Shane was the man for it to help him get over wwe style.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

There was some wacky internet rumour about a "New Horseman" type stable with Shane, Show, Angle and Benoit at the time.

rovert wrote: »
    There was some wacky internet rumour about a "New Horseman" type stable with Shane, Show, Angle and Benoit at the time.

There was a short lived stable Called The Conspiracy, Shane, Benoit,Angle and E&C and maybe one or two more. Didn't amount to much which is crazy when you think of the Roster it had.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

lockie1983 wrote: »
    There was a short lived stable Called The Conspiracy, Shane, Benoit,Angle and E&C and maybe one or two more. Didn't amount to much which is crazy when you think of the Roster it had.

The lack of little Jimmy was an obvious downfall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

does Orton really hate the smarks as much as the night after Mania suggested?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I remember reading once that during an ad break back in the 90`s Hbk called out Taker from the back knowing he wasn`t back there and begging him to be man enough to come out and face him. Is there any video available of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Horsebox9000

So eh.... what happened to Tensais mate Sakamoto?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

So eh.... what happened to Tensais mate Sakamoto?

He's back in the FCW/NXT crew, though I don't recall seeing anything of him in a while. Anyways, his bio is still up, so there's that:

http://www.fcwwrestling.info/Roster/Sakamoto.html

Advertisement