Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

That was the point though. It looked vicious and super-dangerous. And in the process, it made Sheamus look incredible.

If Noble, who iirc was an agent at the time so would have probably been the one to pitch the specific move, wasn't happy to take it, he wouldn't have. But it looked fantastic and did wonders for Sheamus.

EDIT: Actually leads to another question; how soft are those mats? Compared to the ring, at least? Cause in actuality, it wouldn't surprise me to hear that he was safer taking that move outside the ring than in it :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

JJayoo wrote: »
    I get that but surely a powerbomb like that is way over the top. I mean the usual monster heel move is to put someone through the announcer's table, but this is just nasty.

It has a lot to do with the camera angle. Noble would have wanted it done that way too, theres no way a rookie like Sheamus would have gotten away with doing that to a veteran had it not been planned

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Jamie Noble despite his on screen status is/was known as a great worker who knew what he was doing. In addition he was fairly crazy and intense. His old nickname was "mini Benoit" as he would do the same OTT training and diet regime and wrestle similarly.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Noble was planning on retiring from in-ring, so I always kinda figured this was him going out with a bang, and helping push someone on the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,259 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

EDIT: Actually leads to another question; how soft are those mats? Compared to the ring, at least? Cause in actuality, it wouldn't surprise me to hear that he was safer taking that move outside the ring than in it :P

Not very. If anything like judo mats, then they're grand for falling on, but not for being driven into. Sure they have to be solid enough to walk on and then they're not very thick.
    As for the ring itself, I do remember Foley saying the locker room were more impressed with the bump through the cell to the ring than outside to the table as they know which would hurt more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Not very. If anything like judo mats, then they're grand for falling on, but not for being driven into. Sure they have to be solid enough to walk on and then they're not very thick.
    As for the ring itself, I do remember Foley saying the locker room were more impressed with the bump through the cell to the ring than outside to the table as they know which would hurt more

The rings now have a lot more give to them compared to when Foley went through the cell.

Adiboo wrote: »
    The rings now have a lot more give to them compared to when Foley went through the cell.

Yep.

In one of Foley's books he said that rings with a lot more give were introduced in late 98/early 99 and he actually said it took a few matches to get used to because there was so much "bounce" compared to the old rings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Whats michael hayes role within wwe ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

ricero wrote: »
    Whats michael hayes role within wwe ?
    Basically it's to give superstars there roles. He is the middle-man between Bookers(Creative) and some wrestlers. He is the head "Road Agent". He sets up matches, feuds, story-lines for the wrestlers by giving them their role from Creative. He can also work the other way, passing on suggestions from either himself or the wrestler to Creative!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Basically it's to give superstars there roles. He is the middle-man between Bookers(Creative) and some wrestlers. He is the head "Road Agent". He sets up matches, feuds, story-lines for the wrestlers by giving them their role from Creative. He can also work the other way, passing on suggestions from either himself or the wrestler to Creative!

How many road agents is there nowadays? And who are they? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Jason Todd wrote: »
    How many road agents is there nowadays? And who are they? :)

Michael Hayes, Fit Finlay, Jamie Noble, Billy Kidman and Dean Malenko would be some I'd know off the top of my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

road dogg, finlay, jamie noble, irs, arn anderson, billy kidman, dean malenko, brooklyn brawler are all agents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,259 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Are there any plans to bring back Abyss to TNA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Are there any plans to bring back Abyss to TNA?

Hopefully not. Joseph Park is the best he's been in a very long time. Hardly even mentioned anymore too so I'm guessing he's not coming back any time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

rovert wrote: »
    Jamie Noble despite his on screen status is/was known as a great worker who knew what he was doing. In addition he was fairly crazy and intense. His old nickname was "mini Benoit" as he would do the same OTT training and diet regime and wrestle similarly.

For anyone who does not know should check his ROH run. He was pure class.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Hopefully not. Joseph Park is the best he's been in a very long time. Hardly even mentioned anymore too so I'm guessing he's not coming back any time soon.
    Nevermind :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭Hematocyte

Q: Why does TNA have that strange raised ramp that goes all the way from backstage to the ring? The thing that looks more like a fashion show catwalk than an entrance route to a wrestling ring.

I think I saw some old Wrestling footage (maybe WW(W?)F from the 70's) that also had that set-up. I don't think it's very suitable and guess I'm just wondering what the point of it is? Is it just there to make the arena look different to a typical WWE show?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I was wondering that too, the same style of ramp was used back in the day by WCW/NWA.

It's only been back since they went on the road. I assume it's easier to set up and remove afterwards. If that is the case, have to wonder why dont they just not use a ramp at all. WWE likely have a hell of a lot more people employed to do the job.

Only other advantage I can think of is something that wouldnt be used all that often. Sting's black out and sudden appearance in the ring. It would give him an easy route to the ring instead of trying to sneak him in. Considering how rarely that is used, I assume the first option of it being easier is more likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Hematocyte wrote: »
    Q: Why does TNA have that strange raised ramp that goes all the way from backstage to the ring?
    I think its there just cause it makes it easier for Hogan to hobble down the ramp.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

GTR63 wrote: »
    I think its there just cause it makes it easier for Hogan to hobble down the ramp.

Was about to post that this is what I heard as well. Don't know how legit it is, but the story I read was when he came back to TNA, he wanted that ramp so it was easier for him to get into the ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Was about to post that this is what I heard as well. Don't know how legit it is, but the story I read was when he came back to TNA, he wanted that ramp so it was easier for him to get into the ring.

That cant be true, surely he can walk up the ring steps, he's 60 not 80. It has to be a logistical thing with live TV, maybe to do with small attendances and dressing of the arena, kinda of like Nitro in the latter days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Whatever the reason, I'm just hoping that a Taz/Bigelow styles spot comes out of it at a PPV or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Whatever the reason, I'm just hoping that a Taz/Bigelow styles spot comes out of it at a PPV or something.

If Hardy didn`t go through it after that big back drop from Bully a few weeks ago you may have to wait a while.

Q: Is there some wrestler database out there where I might be able to search by nationality/era/weight etc?

I ask because I'm trying to remember some particular wrestler I saw live in a match vs Giant Haystacks in the 80s somewhere in Dublin. All I can remember about the guy is that the ring announcer kept warning the crowd to stay away from the ring area because the guy weighed 28 stone and was likely to fly/fall out the ring at certain points during the bout.

I can't imagine it'd be too hard to identify a British Wrestler from the 80's who weighed 350lbs+ , but I've had no luck so far.

(Come to think of it, Funny they didn't warn about 48stone Haystacks falling out of the ring, but I guess since his act consisted of nothing more than ambling around the centre of the ring that there probably was 0% risk of that.)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it might be http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirley_Crabtree this guy, better known as Big Daddy.

I have a really old wrestling annual kind of thing about him somewhere, the only reason I know him, and there's pics of him against Haystacks.

Thanks for the suggestion. It's not Big Daddy tho. It was probably someone less famous than. I think this because I knew at the time who Big Daddy was but whoever 'this guy' was I don't think I'd seen him before.

IIRC the guy had a beard and black hair. He defo had a sort of "heel" look about him anyway. Also I reckon he was probably famous enough because his match vs Haystacks was the headline match (tho that might have just been because it was Haystacks).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

^^ Could be , but I don't think he was in as good a shape as the guy in that pix. Also the weight seems a bit low.

After the show I went backstage with my dad to meet some of the wrestlers and get some autographs. The wrestler in question was sitting in a corner of the dressing room eating Big Macs. My dad reminded me that this wrestler (whoever he was) was sitting on a chair and his stomach was so big that while he was eating one Big Mac he had another Big Mac rested perfectly on his enormous stomach almost at eye level.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Hematocyte wrote: »
    After the show I went backstage with my dad to meet some of the wrestlers and get some autographs. The wrestler in question was sitting in a corner of the dressing room eating Big Macs. My dad reminded me that this wrestler (whoever he was) was sitting on a chair and his stomach was so big that while he was eating one Big Mac he had another Big Mac rested perfectly on his enormous stomach almost at eye level.

I've no idea why but that made me instantly think of this:

Advertisement