Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭bobby_says_hi

CastorTroy wrote: »
    When we see refs talk to the wrestlers before and during the match, are they saying official ref type stuff in case the mikes pick them up or the fans hear them or are they passing on instructions?

They ask what the finish is so they know when to count to three. If you see them talking during the match, they're usually relaying how much time is left and telling them to slow down/speed up etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

They ask what the finish is so they know when to count to three. If you see them talking during the match, they're usually relaying how much time is left and telling them to slow down/speed up etc

They are well clued in before hand, especially in the likes of WWE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

afaik the ref's gestures when a guy is on the top ropes is telling them what's going on too. the "no" gesture seems to mean the other guy is going to get out of the way.
    and the arm-rolling gesture means to "wrap the match up". you'll always see that with RVD's 5 star frogsplash.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,138 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Cheers for the answers. The reason I asked was just when watching this week's NXT I noticed the ref talking to the jobber tag team while their opponents(think was the Wyatt Family match) were coming into the ring seemingly telling them to wait until the bell and was wondering what he was really saying to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

This has probably been asked many times, but does anyone what kind of coin wrestlers in the WWE are on?

What kind of constrast would there be between the likes of Cena and lower card stars, lets say Zack Ryder in terms of salary?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Back to the 'who had the most gimmicks' question.

Kevin Nash had a tonne of them in WCW before succeeding as Diesel in WWF.

Beefcake probably holds the distinction of the most usless gimmicks coupled with usless ability (it helpsto be Hogan's chum).

Glen Jacobs had two high profile gimmicks in WWF as a dentist then fake Diesel before landing the part of Kane. He had also played some dreadful parts in USWA including a Christmas monster.

Jeff Jarrett went through a few different changes: cowboy singer Double J from 94-96 in WWF, whatever he was in WCW, whatever he was suppossed to be when he returned to WWF in 1997, NWA North American champion for a month or so in a Jim Cornette stable in WWF early 1998, the Southern Justice gimmick in later 1998, then the tag and singles title runs he had in WWF 1999. Was he 'The Chosen One' then in WCW 2000? And of course whatever he did in TNA. It might not count since he wrestled under the same name though.

Owen Hart had quite a few: Blue Blazer, one half of a tag team with Koko B Ware called 'High Energy', 'New Hart Foundation' tag team with Neidhart, The Rocket Owen Hart, King of Harts, Black Heart, 'Enough is Enough and it's time for a change'.

Sean Waltman: Lightning Kid, 123 Kid, Syxx, X-Pac.

Good question about Vince's commentary. Afaik he still produces backstage these days and is reknowned for going ape **** at the commentators which made me wonder who was working backstage during TV and PPVs while Vince was commentating.

There's two things that spring to mind: at Bret v Bulldog IYH5, he instructs the camera crew to keep to wide shots after Bret's blading which the camera crew seem to observe and he makes similar comments during the WrestleMania 13 submission 'this does not happen often in the WWF. Vince was unaware that Bret had planned to use blood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Kolido wrote: »
    This has probably been asked many times, but does anyone what kind of coin wrestlers in the WWE are on?

What kind of constrast would there be between the likes of Cena and lower card stars, lets say Zack Ryder in terms of salary?

Afaik, there's no info online (Dave Meltzer might know if you have a subscription). There's a list of wrestler salaries from circa 2004 online.

At a guess I'd say Cena's on at least a million dollars guaranteed plus flights, accommodation and a cut of PPV & merch including DVDs and video games.

I'd imagine Ryder's on about $200k-$300k guarantee.

Kevin Nash tells of how he was only getting like $200 per week plus what he'd get for PPVs. He says that back during the 90s there were no guarantees in the WWF wrt pay and you had to wait for your Mania paycheck before you could plan your year ahead (financially).

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭duuuaaaane

Can somebody tell me about this photograph?

It's Kanyon & DDP, Kanyon with the WCW US Title and the WWF Tag Team Title, DDP with his Tag Title also, Kanyon wearing his WWF gimmick T-Shirt yet, they are in a WCW ring?

It's clearly not a televised event but does anybody know what it was? When WWE ran the few 'WCW' events or merely just matches they always just had them in a WCW themed - WWE ring. So this picture is puzzling.

01_display_image.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Coutinho 10

uwwedoogie wrote: »
    Can somebody tell me about this photograph?

It's Kanyon & DDP, Kanyon with the WCW US Title and the WWF Tag Team Title, DDP with his Tag Title also, Kanyon wearing his WWF gimmick T-Shirt yet, they are in a WCW ring?

It's clearly not a televised event but does anybody know what it was? When WWE ran the few 'WCW' events or merely just matches they always just had them in a WCW themed - WWE ring. So this picture is puzzling.

01_display_image.jpg

My guess is it around the time Invasion angle as they were WWF tag champions around that time if memory serves me right.

Yeah they were Champs in August 2001 but my question is how are they in a WCW ring? This wasn't a usual WWF event evidentally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Yeah they were Champs in August 2001 but my question is how are they in a WCW ring? This wasn't a usual WWF event evidentally.

Could it be a developmental event like OVW or Heartland? (Similar to FCW/NXT these days). I remember the WWE took a lot of contracts on yet not all roster members made it to TV and were sent to these places. My guess is that they made a special appearance at one of those shows, like how Y2J and Punk have hit Florida the odd time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Coutinho 10

Its probably just a house show ring. No need for logos or such things when not on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Its probably just a house show ring. No need for logos or such things when not on TV.

yeah but wwe use actual ropes (covered in tape) which is rare, that photo looks like cable to me, thats not wwe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Heartland Wrestling Association would make the most sense, seeing as the timeframe of the photo places it before the WWF/E cutting ties with'em. HWA was also once a dev-territory for WCW, which may go ways to explaining the ring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Maybe WCW honoured a handful of house show dates that ran while the Invasion angle had already started on TV?

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Heartland Wrestling Association would make the most sense, seeing as the timeframe of the photo places it before the WWF/E cutting ties with'em. HWA was also once a dev-territory for WCW, which may go ways to explaining the ring.

Perfect answer, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

I was watching the top 100 Raw moments the other night and a question popped into my head. Was the fallout from Wrestlemania 14 involving Shawn leaving, XPac coming back and the new DX being formed always planned? I don't know why but I think I always had it in my head that Shawn kinda left them high and dry (mainly from the press conference footage where it seemingly shows him storming out) and they just went with that. I know Shawn had his back injury and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Andy_rse wrote: »
    I was watching the top 100 Raw moments the other night and a question popped into my head. Was the fallout from Wrestlemania 14 involving Shawn leaving, XPac coming back and the new DX being formed always planned? I don't know why but I think I always had it in my head that Shawn kinda left them high and dry (mainly from the press conference footage where it seemingly shows him storming out) and they just went with that. I know Shawn had his back injury and all.

As far as I know, Waltman was already fired by Bischoff so would've been coming back over to WWF anyway. (He publicly blasted Eric on his return on tv).

They usually have a debut/return the night after mania anyway, e.g. Mankind after mania 12, Brock after mania 18 and 28, Umaga after mania 22 to usher in new stories and characters as WM is seen as the end of season as such.. Although Backlash/Extreme Rules seems to be milking the programmed for an extra month nowadays.

Where's Jack Evans at these days? Last I heard of him he got his face broke by being kicked in it many years ago. Is he still wrestling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Where's Jack Evans at these days? Last I heard of him he got his face broke by being kicked in it many years ago. Is he still wrestling?

I think in Mexico. Last I heard of him was when he was in Tna fighting for a contract that Aries won. That was 2 years ago iirc.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Still wrestles for AAA in Mexico and on Candian Indies when at home. His body has held up and still the same old dude: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=1vTRFh-PmUs#t=177s

GTR63 wrote: »
    Last I heard of him was when he was in Tna fighting for a contract that Aries won. That was 2 years ago iirc.

Oh yeah! Totally forgot about that.

Cheers for the replies.

Same old Jack indeed in that video, entertaining little match that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭bobby_says_hi

I remember a few pages back someone asked a question about how much control the wrestlers have over their ring gear. I just heard in an interview that the WWE seamstresses are apparently only there for the big stars. So only the big draws get their outfits made for them. If you're starting out from developmental or you're a lower card performer then you have to source your own gear. Apparently the seamstress starts making your gear when you 'get over'. I guess that explains why a lot of guys and girls have t-shirts and accessories that aren't available on WWE Shop - they make them themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

What is the longest time a wrestler has gone without turning heel or face. Has anyone had a full carrer without ever turning. I would be particularly interested in the WWE/F and WCW from the 80's to now.

I know Hogan had a long stint as babyface throughout the 80's untill the mid 90's. Was there any short periods of heel turns durring this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,013 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Ricky Steamboat was face for his whole career.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Kolido wrote: »
    What is the longest time a wrestler has gone without turning heel or face. Has anyone had a full carrer without ever turning. I would be particularly interested in the WWE/F and WCW from the 80's to now.

I know Hogan had a long stint as babyface throughout the 80's untill the mid 90's. Was there any short periods of heel turns durring this time?
    Rvd and Jeff hardy during their whole wwe tenure and I'd put sting in that category to the crow gimmick ,wolfpac and main event mafia stuff he was still kinda a babyface..,.also don't think warrior was ever heel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I can't remember Rey Mysterio ever being a heel.
    Ted Dibiase was always a heel afaik, not counting his managing The Steiners.

probably a few others like The Ultimate Warrior, Tito Santana, Bobby "The Brain" Heenan, Jimmy Snuka, Rick Rude, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,013 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Rey Mysterio was heel in WCW when he took off the mask wasn't he?

Part of Konnan's stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

rey was a heel in wcw, dibiase a face in mid south

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

RVD and Hardy were heel's early on. RVD when he debuted but it didnt last long. He was still booked as a heel but was getting a better reaction than most of Team WWF. Same deal in ECW. He was booked as a heel but got cheered so ended up babyface regardless. Hardy was heel when they were aligned with Michael Hayes. After that, I think he was babyface until his awesome heel turn in TNA.

Advertisement