Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Omackeral wrote: »
    Does anyone have any info on whether Kharma/Awesome Kong will come back to WWE again or what terms she's on with them? She got one of the most hyped debuts ever with vignettes and an angle but never even had an official match bar one Royal Rumble appearance (bashing Cole!)

WWE put certain conditions on her coming back. Mainly sorting her weight out and getting her mental health together.

She has been working very limited matches on the indies recently has she has a herniated disc in her back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Hematocyte wrote: »
    Q: Is there anywhere I can get a list of WWE title matches (ie not every match a particular champ had, just the ones where he was defending a title)?

Try profightdb.com for individual wrestlers and thehistoryofwwe.com for results from each year. Cross check with a list of champions and the info is in there somewhere.
    Andy_rse wrote: »
    I was watching the top 100 Raw moments the other night and a question popped into my head. Was the fallout from Wrestlemania 14 involving Shawn leaving, XPac coming back and the new DX being formed always planned? I don't know why but I think I always had it in my head that Shawn kinda left them high and dry (mainly from the press conference footage where it seemingly shows him storming out) and they just went with that. I know Shawn had his back injury and all.

Shawn's match with Austin at 'Mania was his first since the casket match with 'Taker at the Rumble when he hurt his back so they knew 'Mania would be his last, at least for some time. There wouldn't have been much point having Michaels on the show since he couldn't have worked with Austin and his back was ****ed. I don't know how far in advance the "new" DX thing was planned but knowing Hunter he was probably stewing over it for a while.

uwwedoogie wrote: »
    Can somebody tell me about this photograph?

It's Kanyon & DDP, Kanyon with the WCW US Title and the WWF Tag Team Title, DDP with his Tag Title also, Kanyon wearing his WWF gimmick T-Shirt yet, they are in a WCW ring?

It's clearly not a televised event but does anybody know what it was? When WWE ran the few 'WCW' events or merely just matches they always just had them in a WCW themed - WWE ring. So this picture is puzzling.

01_display_image.jpg

I don't know for sure but DDP/Kanyon won the belts on August 7, 2001 and a few days later they wrestled at the 4th Annual Pillman Memorial - August 9, 2001 - Oak Hills, OH - Oak Hills High School against The Hardys and E&C in a non-title. WWF owned the WCW rings but never used them - they were 4ft smaller and the ropes/cables didn't have as much spring in them. Since they'd no use for the rings they gave them away.

There's a short audio clip here from Wrestling Observer radio about what happened the WCW rings: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq2zgTejZIw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Is there a general consensus on who is behind the 'comedy' that Miz, Sheamus, Cena and now Bryan dish out every week? Is it VKM, the writers or HHH (who has been known to be painfully unfunny and use this type of humour while in DX)

Even punk was verging on it on his last face run. I'm not sure kids even have the the cop on to get half of it. Whoever it is, I hope they're hit by a bus soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I saw a pre-Wrestlemania 29 interview with Dolph Ziggler talking to Sam Roberts, and he mentioned working with Cena and how he didn't like Cena, like, really didn't like Cena, and said something along the lines of not liking what he stood for and made fun of his move set but did admit to enjoying working with him as it elevated him and their matches got good reactions.

Does he have a legit beef with Cena? Is there a story there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

When Cena was first draft pick in 2005 - was that a legit surprise to everyone? It was sold very well, and Jericho, who was doing his "highlight reel" looked genuinely surprised when he came through the curtain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

gimmick wrote: »
    When Cena was first draft pick in 2005 - was that a legit surprise to everyone? It was sold very well, and Jericho, who was doing his "highlight reel" looked genuinely surprised when he came through the curtain.

While I don't know the answer to this directly, I DO remember hearing that JR was drafted to Smackdown live on a RAW draft without prior knowledge and looked disgusted on air. Think he resigned/threatened to leave after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I've read a few times and heard a few times that after the first year or two the WWE Draft nights were kept on a need-to-know Vince and one or two others basis. The one that springs to mind the most was JR. Can't find the source for the life of me but afaik he found out he was going to Smackdown when it appeared on the screen. Vince would use the excuse that the reactions needs to look real or some other bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

JR going to Smackdown was way more enjoyable than it should have been though.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Hematocyte

Q: Are the WWE Championship and the World Heavyweight Championship supposed (kayfabe) to be equally important titles that wrestlers should 'want' to win just as equally?

I mean it's fairly obvious that they're *not* but I've also never seen it made clear that there's some sort of hierarchy on the two titles. In fact I think I even recall the prize for the winner of this years Royal Rumble was the choice to have a shot at *either* title at WM? Come to think of it is it ever made clear that there's any sort of hierarchy to *any* of the titles?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,138 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The choice is for every Rumble winner. But think it was Cena this year who basically said the WHC wasn't good enough for him. It is a case of the WWE title being held in higher regard than the WHC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

WWE barely keep up the pretense that they're supposed to be equal. It also stems that the WWE title has all of the WWF lineage whilst World title has WCW lineage now (although it really started in 2002...) Only about 5 minutes into the match on RAW did JBL mention "hey ADR's a world champion too". There were a lot of (John Cena's) "the champ is here" without anyone mentioning ADR in the same capacity. I don't think they'd ever officially rank the titles, but they sure rank them for you by how they're booked, which ones are on RAW and how the wrestlers speak of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭bobby_says_hi

I've read a few times and heard a few times that after the first year or two the WWE Draft nights were kept on a need-to-know Vince and one or two others basis. The one that springs to mind the most was JR. Can't find the source for the life of me but afaik he found out he was going to Smackdown when it appeared on the screen. Vince would use the excuse that the reactions needs to look real or some other bollocks.

I think it's just Vince and the creative team that knew who was going to be drafted. There's been plenty of cases where wrestlers have been released when creative was planning to move them onto a different show. I don't think any of the champions in 2009 knew that they were going to swap the titles around - US and Divas' to Raw, Intercontinental and Women's to Smackdown. Melina burst into tears in the ring during the commercial break when she was drafted to Smackdown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭tvercetti

On this weeks raw, they did little tributes to past champions. When they were doing Flairs, they showed him holding up the World Heavyweight Championship belt at WWF. I know it was brought into WWE in 2002 so was a little confused. Might have something to do with the NWA. Can someone clarify or were my eyes deceiving me.

Secondly Sheamus used to do a razors edge style move. I forget what they called it. Does he not do it anymore?

Finally, I think I read they altered Axels entrance music after his first appearance. Has it been changed back since or is the current still the second version.

Sure tvercetti!

A) Ric Flair left WCW with the big gold belt in 91 and arrived in the WWF still in possession of it. WWF went a few weeks with the title on TV before having to blur it and eventually gave it back to WCW. I explained through the whole affair and lawsuits in a video in about 2 minutes here if you wanna check it out.

B) He's stopped doing it in favour of the pump kick ("Brogue Kick"), but yes it was called "High Cross", "Celtic Cross" and "Pale Justice".

C) He's had 2 versions, the current is the iTunes version.

tvercetti wrote: »
    On this weeks raw, they did little tributes to past champions. When they were doing Flairs, they showed him holding up the World Heavyweight Championship belt at WWF. I know it was brought into WWE in 2002 so was a little confused. Might have something to do with the NWA. Can someone clarify or were my eyes deceiving me.

Secondly Sheamus used to do a razors edge style move. I forget what they called it. Does he not do it anymore?

Finally, I think I read they altered Axels entrance music after his first appearance. Has it been changed back since or is the current still the second version.

No your eyes weren't deceiving you. Flair was WCW/NWA champion in 1991. He got fed up with Jim Herd's booking in WCW and left for WWF and took the belt with him as he had put up a $25k deposit for the Big Gold Belt as it's know (this is how the NWA championship worked back then). Flair demanded is deposit + interest in return for the belt, Herd declined so Flair took the title on to WWF TV. It was perfect as Flair was a heel and proclaimed himself to be the 'Real World's Champion' with Hogan holding a lesser title. WWF often pixelated the belt which kayfabe added more controversy and heat. It should have set up the dream match of the 80s but fans were really fed up of Hogan who was eyeing up a film career and the Flair/Hogan matches didn't really click with the WWF audience.

Bitta history: Jim Crockett Promotions ran the main NWA territories by the late 80s and Turner then bought JCP and re-launched it under the umbrella of WCW though through JCP and WCW the company belt and champion were still affiliated with and recognised by the NWA. Things get messy with the lineage of the Big Gold Belt, NWA and WCW titles after this point.

Flair says he gifted the original belt to HHH in 2002.

As far as I can tell there's shag all attempt these days to kayfabe treat the World and WWE titles as equal hence why Punk's 400= day reign and Rock v Cena was for the WWE not World title. . Iirc 2010 was the last time a World title singles match main evented a PPV. It's today's equivalent of the Intercontinental title tbh.

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Sure tvercetti!

A) Ric Flair left WCW with the big gold belt in 91 and arrived in the WWF still in possession of it. WWF went a few weeks with the title on TV before having to blur it and eventually gave it back to WCW. I explained through the whole affair and lawsuits in a video in about 2 minutes here if you wanna check it out.

Oh, didn't know he gave back the belt and WWF had a replica made :) That clip of him holding up a tag belt is priceless. "They had no respect for the live crowd" - pretty true I guess but as the saying goes, if it didn't happen on TV....

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭kiad

I don't think they used a replica belt when he was in the WWF. The reason he had the big gold belt when he arrived was because he legally owned the belt. Back in the NWA days the champion had to pay a deposit when they got the belt (something like $25,000 dollars) so that the NWA wouldn't be out of pocket if the champion lost or stole the belt. When Flair left WCW and they asked for the belt Flair asked for his 25K back and they refused so he kept it. If you look at the belt itself you can see the very top of it is bent so you know its the original one. Eventually WCW gave him the money and got the belt back which is why he had the tag belts for a week or so and then he eventually just stopped coming out with the Real World Title altogether.

Can explai to me what a 'spot show' is?

This definition doesn't really help me: "SPOT SHOW : Most independent promotions rely on renting out a venue and then selling tickets. This is referred to a spot show and is the most common form. It is a dangerous venture as you must get enough paying customers to cover the rental, paying your workers and insurance."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Just read on Mikey Batts wiki that he signed for WWE as a referee, did he ever show up on TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Hematocyte

Q: When William Regal occasionally turns up on RAW/Smackdown is he booked for that bout or is he just filling in at the last minute for some guy would couldn't appear that night? I ask because to my knowledge he has no particular character or role on the shows (at least not on Raw/Smackdown anyway) and generally looks quite overweight/out of shape on the occasions he does appear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I thought the NWA lineage continued into TNA?

The lineage goes to whoever'll "rent" the belts out really, using their brand to add legitimacy until they are happy enough to stand on their own feet. After WCW dropped them in 93, ECW picked them up for a tad, and TNA did similar in 02 until exclusively being TNA in 07. There's lots of little NWA companies scattered across the globe but it's on such a minute scale to what it once was. (controlling North American wrestling up until Vince succeeded, leading others to do so)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

It did originally. The NWA World and Tag titles both have several years worth of TNA reigns to their history. TNA don't seem to count them as TNA reigns though. Case in point being proclaiming Bobby Roode as the longest reigning champion when Jarrett had a longer reign with the NWA title. X-Division title is the exception since that was a new title made for TNA.

Since TNA decided to go it alone the NWA titles have meant virtually nothing. It had a short association with ROH but other than that it's been tiny local companies using them.

Wasn't there an NWA:Ireland title at one point?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I got the Raw The Beginning DVD there today. On the very first episode of Raw, Koko b Ware entered to Owen Hart's King of Harts entrance theme. Did Koko have this music first, or is it a case of his original themes licence being up, and therefore dubbed over?

Edit - literally as I hit submit post, Vince and Randy were talking about how Owen and Koko were tag team partners... that'd explain it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Yeah they were high energy basiclly a jobber team or poor mans Rockers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭therickreport

is there any truth to the story that Sable didn't know she was going to lose the Women's title to Debra? the story seems to be that they took the title off her because she refused to appear naked on tv?

Wasn't there an NWA:Ireland title at one point?

There was indeed. I believe Adam Abz was the first champion

Re: Sable, completely false. The real story was that Sable wanted out of her contract, to go out on her own because Playboy had given her a huge surge of fame. They wanted to put the belt on Ivory so Debra was a transitional champion. If you watch the title change, Sable doesn't act as if she didn't know what was going to happen. She was clearly in on the switch. As for the nudity thing, she was asked if she would get her top ripped off for a PPV in the UK which she said no to. This PPV actually took place after the title change too. It was just one of many things Sable cooked up for her sexual harassment lawsuit. She sued them because they wouldn't let her use the name Sable when she was released from her contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

There was indeed. I believe Adam Abz was the first champion

Re: Sable, completely false. The real story was that Sable wanted out of her contract, to go out on her own because Playboy had given her a huge surge of fame. They wanted to put the belt on Ivory so Debra was a transitional champion. If you watch the title change, Sable doesn't act as if she didn't know what was going to happen. She was clearly in on the switch. As for the nudity thing, she was asked if she would get her top ripped off for a PPV in the UK which she said no to. This PPV actually took place after the title change too. It was just one of many things Sable cooked up for her sexual harassment lawsuit. She sued them because they wouldn't let her use the name Sable when she was released from her contract.

Then ended up doing it on a random Smackdown years later :pac:

• Advertisement

She also claimed they wanted her to do lesbian storylines (also bogus since Tori was originally going to turn out to be her sister) and what's the first thing she does when she returns? Kiss another Tori

Advertisement