Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Have watched very little wrestling this year, just try to keep up in here.

What's the story with Sin Cara these days? It seemed when he started off everyone had extremely high hopes for him, turns out he was just a mute botch fest. Any signs of that turning around?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

To be fair, Torrie was much better than Tori :D

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Have watched very little wrestling this year, just try to keep up in here.

What's the story with Sin Cara these days? It seemed when he started off everyone had extremely high hopes for him, turns out he was just a mute botch fest. Any signs of that turning around?

He was used to working a lucha style in Mexico and was thrown into a WWE style only environment. He has been fine when paired with someone who can work his style. Think he has had some really good matches with Bryan for example.

He should have been sent to FCW for a few months instead of being thrown straight on TV and being told to swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Havent been around for a few weeks and caught up on some raw there in the last few days.
    A few weeks ago when everyone was coming out to the ring one by one (think the first out was bryan) and their music wasn't playing, was there music meant to play?
    I thought it felt very different having someone interrupting someone vocally instead of their music blaring. Orton in particular got a massive reaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Is it true that WWE sacked Funaki to spite Hbk who is a friend of his?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

GTR63 wrote: »

Wouldnt have thought so but I did remember hearing that HBK was the reason he still had a job up until that point. Then when HBK was gone the WWE felt like they could move him on without anyone kicking up a fuss.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

You mean they didn't keep him around so long because he was Smackdown's Number 1 Announcer!?! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Zemuppet

This has being bugging me for a while now as I'm trying to find out the name of this theme used for several WWE promos, most notably at the start of the this video below.

I don't know if it was created by Jim Johnston or someone else but hopefully I can find out and put my mind to rest. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Sure brother, it's called "Temptation".

Useless factoid, when this was used for WrestleMania XIX, I posted it, calling it "Triumphant Return". The name seems to have stuck and people randomly refer to it by that incorrect name :P And there's my claim to fame/the nerdiest thing I've said in a long while.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Zemuppet

Cheers man, that has being bugging me for years. What got me into this song was a very good highlight video of the HBK vs Bret Hart ironman match shown during the 2007 Vengeance/ Night of Champions PPV as shown below, which I thought was the only good thing about that PPV after buying the DVD of it when it came out :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I love all those production themes, they are what really built up matches in the video packages.

Does anyone know, are these available to download (legally) or have they been put to cd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Just rip them off Youtube,don't think they have or will ever be released on CD.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭bobby_says_hi

Some themes were released when WWE had those albums with wrestlers' entrance music on them but most of them are floating around Youtube

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Does anyone know, are these available to download (legally) or have they been put to cd?

They're not WWE themes, they're licensed by WWE by third party music companies that do stock music (for films, tv etc). Legally you'd need to obtain access to the libraries, like ASCAP, Extreme Music etc and then license the song. Some are available in CD format but most are digital now I'd imagine, with multiple versions/lengths of the same track.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭duuuaaaane

Sirsok wrote: »
    Rvd and Jeff hardy during their whole wwe tenure and I'd put sting in that category to the crow gimmick ,wolfpac and main event mafia stuff he was still kinda a babyface..,.also don't think warrior was ever heel

RVD came into WWF as a heel, they placed him against Jeff Hardy to cement this and even had him attack Matt Hardy backstage at his first PPV but they couldn't get him heat, he technically played heel until he became a tweener for the No Mercy PPV in October 2001 and officially became a babyface the night after Survivor Series when he just became a WWF wrestler.

Jeff Hardy was quite far along into a slow heel turn in early 2003 before he left the company. There were grains of him staying face by feuding with Chris Jericho but he would then get in Shawn Michaels' face for interfering, if I remember correctly they had a confrontation on an episode of RAW which resulted in HBK super-kicking Hardy for a pop.

Hematocyte wrote: »
    Q: Are the WWE Championship and the World Heavyweight Championship supposed (kayfabe) to be equally important titles that wrestlers should 'want' to win just as equally?

I mean it's fairly obvious that they're *not* but I've also never seen it made clear that there's some sort of hierarchy on the two titles. In fact I think I even recall the prize for the winner of this years Royal Rumble was the choice to have a shot at *either* title at WM? Come to think of it is it ever made clear that there's any sort of hierarchy to *any* of the titles?

No matter how hard they try (they don't at all), you can never have two equal main championships. Triple H in 2003/04/05 did such a good job in the World Title picture that it felt just as meaningful but that was credit to him and not the belt.

It just doesn't make sense, there is one main, there can't be two or they takes away from each other and the World Title isn't the one that Ric Flair, Dusty, Steamboat had no matter if it was passed that way or not. The first WWE World Champion was when Booker T held that WCW Title on RAW, it was no longer the highest prize in the company therefore no longer the same belt.

Go back to Money In The Bank in 2011, CM Punk a former 3-time World Champion, won his first WWE Championship, many people then were like 'Wow, he finally got the WWE Title', not 'That's his 4th major title in WWE'.

Jack Swagger in 2010 is a perfect example, he would never of in the space of 5 days gone from 'Just another person in a match', to winning that match (MITB) and then becoming WWF Champion, but they were able to do it with the World Title. It's retained enough prestige that if someone like Santino Marella had won it in that Elimination Chamber like they teased that it would be considered wrong but not enough prestige that it holds the weight of what it should. If anything it's a secondary title with the US & IC title effectively meaningless.

We all thought Cody bringing back the classic title was the start of something, we all thought Ambrose winning was something. The belts could be dropped to anybody tomorrow and it wouldn't make a difference to Axel, Ambrose or the people winning them - being honest.

The last relevant IC title feud was Jericho & Mysterio in 2009 and that had nothing to do with the belt, those matches would have been over just as much without the belt, being realistic the last person to truly benefit from the belt and it meant something was Randy Orton in 2003 and 2004. It worked as his stepping stone and unfortunately they rushed him through that and moved him to the World Title picture far too quickly.

Regarding the US Title, it's been effectively worthless since being brought into the WWE. In the 1990's you didn't need belts to be midcarders you were just wrestlers then the ones that were good enough would be brought into the IC title scene and maybe push onto the WWF Title. That's why belts were more prestigious then, because there wasn't one available around every corner.

The US Title does the same job as the Euro Title did, devalues how important the IC was, it became the 'other midcard belt'. So they detract from each other. John Cena had a successful US Title run in 2003/04 but then the way it's so worthlessly dropped just to get it out of the way in favour of the World Title benefits only the person moving up and does more damage to the belt.

People will argue with me but remember how much of an accomplishment it seemed for Zack Ryder to win the US Title in December 2011? If that was real, it would of seemed so bad when he lost it but it didn't matter at all. That's the point and case right there a belt should always be important, when lost, when won because it's the belt, it's represents the goal, you can't pick and choose when something is important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Roddy Piper hosted a Piper's Pit segment on the Raw before SummerSlam 2012 last year and the guest was suppossed to be Jericho. Piper wasn't making much sense and Michael Cole (presumably on McMahon's orders) started to sh*t on the sh*tty thing. Miz and Ziggler were then sent out to sort of salvage the thing and stop Piper from talking any more rubbish. Em, what happened? Was Piper just having a bad day or did he not know what to do or say?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Hematocyte

Q: I've started to notice that the wrestlers seem to botch their standard move set much more in PPV's than they do on RAW.

eg last night Daniel Bryan fell over after doing that backflip off the turnbuckle (a move that I've seen him do much better landing to many times before).

Has there ever been an explanation for this generally? Is it simply down to the fact that they're just 'going through the motions' on RAW/Smackdown whereas for the PPV they have to think about more things at once? Or am I reading it wrong and it's actually a deliberate 'botch' to give the audience a surprise or something unexpected?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

A: Mistakes happen.

Adiboo wrote: »
    A: Mistakes happen.

Pretty much this. You can hit a move perfectly 999 times but fcuk it up on number 1000. You will be hard pressed to find a wrestler who has never made a mistake of some sort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Hematocyte

No, I get that mistakes happen. I just mean that they seem to happen more in the PPV's than on RAW.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

No, I get that mistakes happen. I just mean that they seem to happen more in the PPV's than on RAW.

More on the line at a ppv, may way heavy on their minds, increasing the chance of a botch spot perhaps?

There is no way however, that a spot would be botched on purpose, to surprise the crowd or viewers at home. Chances of injury would be far too high

I agree with this. The added pressure of getting it right - as nobody remembers TV for the most part - but do remember PPVs. Height of that would be WrestleMania, where they're expected to do something they haven't done on TV/PPV before and get it right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Has there ever been talk of wwe banning DDTs or Spears to avoid neck injuries?
    I'm also wondering is there any big name wrestlers who have had a problem with putting another over outside of the well known ones?
    I read in Power Slam that Piper had a problem losing to Hogan back in his heyday(late 80's) despite knowing how lucrative the role of being in a run with him was.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭bobby_says_hi

i doubt it. when you spear someone, you hit them with the shoulder area. the neck really doesn't get affected at all. with a DDT the knees are actually hitting the mat first, though some wrestlers will spike themselves on purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Clemantis

I'm also wondering is there any big name wrestlers who have had a problem with putting another over outside of the well known ones?
    I read in Power Slam that Piper had a problem losing to Hogan back in his heyday(late 80's) despite knowing how lucrative the role of being in a run with him was.
    I know Honky Tonk man refused to drop the IC title to Randy Savage. Caused some animosity between Honky and Ted DiBiase, as Savage went on the world title picture - a spot which had previously been promised to DiBiase.

It worked out mostly for the best, as the IC title wouldn't have done anything for the Macho Man, but when Honky finally did drop the title, it helped launch the career of the Ultimate Warrior.

You know the Samoan Anoa'i wrestling clan with Yokozuna, Rock etc, how do you pronounce Anoa'i? Ann-o-ah-hee, or anaway perhaps?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

jaykhunter wrote: »
    You know the Samoan Anoa'i wrestling clan with Yokozuna, Rock etc, how do you pronounce Anoa'i? Ann-o-ah-hee, or anaway perhaps?

Ann-o-wah-hee

There's a w in there from whenever I hear it pronounced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Does anyone know when Sky started airing Monday Night Raw? Was it always on Sky Sports or did it ever air on Sky One? I used to watch it on Friday evenings in late 1995 at about 5pm on Sky Sports when my family had it. Iirc they only ever had Mania/Livewire, Superstars and Challenge on Sky One on weekends.

• Advertisement

Sky aired WWF shows since 1986, they would show Wrestling Challenge weekly and also broadcast the few PPV's which were huge in establishing Sky.

Sky One never had Monday Night RAW, but it did have a RAW recap show on Saturday mornings, Livewire. Smackdown would be on Saturday mornings on Sky One once it began in 1999 with a uncensored version airing later that night on Sky Sports.

Channel 4 had a brief run hosting WWF Heat and certain PPV's, most notably the Royal Rumble in 2000 & 2001. However with ad breaks and an initial 50 minute delay. I think the other PPV's they broadcast were Backlash, Fully Loaded & Armageddon. This is also when Heat was a legit show - especially on the eve of PPV's.

I think Sky Box Office came into play in 2004, only for the four PPV's previously owned by Channel 4. Then they reshuffled and Box Office got the more popular PPV's.

Advertisement