Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

I'm pretty sure Sky One aired the 'late night' version of SmackDown for a brief period at some point. Can't remember when but it was a themed night they called Toughman or something.

I could be wrong but Sky Movies aired WWF PPVs before Sky Sports.

Anyway, this is beside the point. Do you know if Sky Sports aired Raw from the beginning in 1993?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭fman

As far as I can remember I think you're pretty much right Ape. I remember those tea-time runs of RAW around 95ish. They had pretty much ignored it up to that point and was only covered by the highlights or wrap up shows.

Ironically they started covering it in a daytime slot just as it was getting edgier so it was heavily censored too - to the point that the show could get confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭esprimo

I'm pretty sure Sky One aired the 'late night' version of SmackDown for a brief period at some point. Can't remember when but it was a themed night they called Toughman or something.

Ah yes I remember that alright! Such a hazy memory but I think this was a Tuesday night thing on Sky One where they had a line-up of shows with wwf obviously one of them. Don't know if toughman was the exact name though, would love to see that ad again somewhere or if somebody knew the time they were promoting this?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Outside of Undertaker vs Bossman at Wrestlemania 15, has there been any other heel vs heel matches on the Grandest Stage of them All?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Omackeral wrote: »
    Outside of Undertaker vs Bossman at Wrestlemania 15, has there been any other heel vs heel matches on the Grandest Stage of them All?

Jericho vs Christian, not sure which Mania.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Anyway, this is beside the point. Do you know if Sky Sports aired Raw from the beginning in 1993?
    esprimo wrote: »
    Ah yes I remember that alright! Such a hazy memory but I think this was a Tuesday night thing on Sky One where they had a line-up of shows with wwf obviously one of them. Don't know if toughman was the exact name though, would love to see that ad again somewhere or if somebody knew the time they were promoting this?

It was called the Testosterzone.

It had Smackdown, an amateur boxing show called Toughman and I think a tv show called Jag(about pilots/army).

Many a fun Tuesday was spent watching it in college.

Undertaker was still kinda heel against Jake Roberts at Mania 8. He was in the process of turning but I think it was a bit of a slow turn probably as his wrestling style didn't really change.

Owen Hart & Davey Boy vs Vader & Mankind WrestleMania 13

Jericho and Christian I think were both heels when they had a match at Mania XX

Both Goldberg and Brock Lesnar were booed out of Madison Square Garden for their stinkfest also at XX though Goldberg was a face and he got a few of his traditional cheers.

I can't remember who was heel and who was face in the Benoit/Angle match at Mania X-Seven. Did Benoit turn face prior to this? He was the face in their matches after it while Angle played heel.

There could have been more explicit heel vs heel matches a la Taker/Bossman but I think they were fairly rare in the WWF.

gerrybbadd wrote: »

WM 20. When they bet 1 Canadian dollar on who could get Trish or Lita first. Were they both heel though at the time of the match? I remember Trish herself went heel at the end of the match.

I think WM 15 also had a heel vs heel dynamic for the tag title with Owen Hart and Jeff Jarrett vs D'Lo Brown and Test did it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

uwwedoogie wrote: »
    Channel 4 had a brief run hosting WWF Heat and certain PPV's, most notably the Royal Rumble in 2000 & 2001. However with ad breaks and an initial 50 minute delay. I think the other PPV's they broadcast were Backlash, Fully Loaded & Armageddon. This is also when Heat was a legit show - especially on the eve of PPV's.

I remember vividly how pissed off I was at Channel 4 editing out Bubba powerbombing one of the divas through a table at Backlash 2000.

• Advertisement

At Royal Rumble 2000 was it channel 4 who put the big X on screen when Mae Young got her puppies out or was it WWE?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

uwwedoogie wrote: »

I think Sky Box Office came into play in 2004, only for the four PPV's previously owned by Channel 4. Then they reshuffled and Box Office got the more popular PPV's.

wwe ppvs have been on sky box office before 2004, here is thread talking about the 2002 rumble being on sky box office, they are cheaper now :Dhttp://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39267

correct

we have had sky since 1993 and no they didn't show raw back then, superstars, wwf mania (which basically showed all the main segments on raw anyway) and ppvs on a 1 or 2 day delay

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭duuuaaaane

gerrybbadd wrote: »

Jericho had turned face before this match, when Trish found out he and Christian had a bet to date a Diva, he felt bad and distanced himself from Christian (turning face) and aligning himself with Trish who would then turn heel after costing Jericho the match.

Technically, at WrestleMania 26, Randy Orton vs. Ted DiBiase vs. Cody Rhodes, each of them were heel. Although Orton was the fan favourite within the match he didn't officially turn face until a few months later.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭bobby_says_hi

Yes Jericho had turned face two months previously. I think Orton was officially recognised as a face before going into WrestleMania 26 too. He was in the process of turning face at least. He teamed with Triple H in the build-up to it. The PPV was probably his official turn

The big red X over Mae Young at Royal Rumble 2000 was the WWF since i appeared on the DVD release.

The big red X over Mae Young at Royal Rumble 2000 was the WWF since i appeared on the DVD release.

The writing was also in the same style as the Royal Rumble logo.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Why is Goldust not used more on Raw?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

He is not under contract with WWE afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Why did Sting never sign for the wwe? I read somewhere that he didn't like how they were going to use him after the take over in 2001, but I reckon if he join them in the early 90's he could have been massive for them. He is arguably one of the biggest stars never to wrestle for them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Kolido wrote: »
    Why did Sting never sign for the wwe? I read somewhere that he didn't like how they were going to use him after the take over in 2001, but I reckon if he join them in the early 90's he could have been massive for them. He is arguably one of the biggest stars never to wrestle for them

Word has it that he's interested in a small run before he retires. Probably tied in to a Hall of Fame induction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

In the 90's for the most part it was one-way traffic with the biggest stars going from WWE to WCW rather than the other way around due to money. It was generally lower card guys who went to WWE although many later became main eventers. But Sting was always a big star.

In the 2000's he basically didn't like how other WCW guys were treated.

Yeah I'd agree, he's the biggest star (of the Vincent K McMahon era anyway) never to wrestle for them in my opinion.

It would be great if he could sit down with them at some point and organise a programme for a few months where they agree on matches, results, storylines (road to WrestleMania for example).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Just watching the Top 50 Incidents in WWE History DVD - just wondering what was the general consensus on the Tim White trying to kill himself sketches, when they first aired?
    Or were they largely ignored since they were online?

Lunchtime Suicides.

Fun for all the family!

Consensus on the Tim White suicide attempts? You mean from us fans? I hated it and thought it was among the most crass things they ever did. Surprised they included it on the dvd tbh. I'm pretty sure some of them aired on PPVs.

Vince and co. often claimed 'oh but we're no different than TV shows or films' but that's bull$hit and they know it.

Why do 3MB not have a Wikipedia page? It's a travesty of epic proportions.

Just watching the Top 50 Incidents in WWE History DVD - just wondering what was the general consensus on the Tim White trying to kill himself sketches, when they first aired?
    Or were they largely ignored since they were online?

Tim White in in angle was written to kill himself, this was following his legit injury in Hell In A Cell between Jericho & Triple H at Judgment Day 2003.

This was done to get over how brutal Hell In A Cell was, that the injury and the horror of Hell In A Cell would drive a man do to that. WWE saw no problem with it, it's a TV show, characters die in TV shows all the time, unfortunately, wrestling, which is blasted and ridiculed by media for being fake is neither treated as a TV show with characters and the backlash due to this angle forced WWE to act, so instead they would have sketches where he would constantly kill himself, or try, so that it would become a gag rather than an angle.

Once the media died away, so did the sketches.

I strongly disagree that WWE is "just a TV show". In a nutshell, pro wrestling isn't fake enough to get away with things like suicide, murder, rape etc. and expect to get away with it. Vince et al know this hence why they did it to court controversy.

Sting also didn't approve of WWE's Attitude Era, the violence, the sexual content, etc. He didn't want to wrestle for a company that wasn't promoted to children. Soon after the Attitude Era came to a close and so did the content by that time Sting already had ties with TNA and he is happy with his deal there each year that he hasn't yet found a reason to leave.

In an interview, I had the chance to ask Sting how close he came to actually joining WWE in 2011. He said very, very close. He said the 2:21:11 videos that everybody presumed were for him and turned out to be for The Undertaker were never intended for him, at least they didn't talk that far, but said he was very nearly going to sign that year.

I reckon that was his chance, I think that ship is sailed now. If he does in the future sign with WWE and I believe he will, it won't be in the same manner it would have been in 2011. Even though it's only 2 years ago and Sting can wrestle a far better match than any 54 year old man can, I don't think he'll have that top drawer WrestleMania match. High profile? Of course, but maybe something in a fashion similar to the Bret Hart vs. Mr. McMahon match from WrestleMania 26. A high profile match but surrounded by several other main event matches that will be regarded higher. Again, this is all speculation on my part.

I strongly disagree that WWE is "just a TV show". In a nutshell, pro wrestling isn't fake enough to get away with things like suicide, murder, rape etc. and expect to get away with it. Vince et al know this hence why they did it to court controversy.

If you've ever seen Beyond The Mat, Vince sums up his idea of his company there; "We make movies". He believes that.

Vince will never settle for being a wrestling company, he wants, at the very least to be a wrestling company that is bigger than wrestling.

But I agree with you, wrestling will never be treated as just a show, the media following the initial Jack Swagger / Zeb Colter angle earlier this year proves that. It's also why Antonio Cesaro has been added to the mix, to show that they aren't against immigrants but merely against those who they believe aren't contributing enough to America after coming in.

• Advertisement

He was released last year while working as an agent for the Diva's. I can't remember what exactly but he was responsible for overseeing and approving a spot that was potentially quite dangerous and let go. At least that was the reason they gave, I wouldn't be surprised if there was more.

Goldust has been left go by that company about 6 or 7 times and he's always been brought back. We even saw him for a one night only appearance at the Royal Rumble so his bridge hasn't been burned and no doubt we'll see him again.

They had the chance to finally use him as recently as 2010 when they began a feud between him and Ted DiBiase but that didn't last long. It's a shame, he's a great wrestler, can put together a great match but since the element of comedy was added to his gimmick in 1997/98 he had a thick metal ceiling over him that would stop him from progressing.

When he was allowed to be serious, in late 2002 while teaming with Booker T, he was hugely over. As a tag team they were very entertaining then when they wanted Booker T to enter a short feud with Triple H before WrestleMania XIX, they dropped Goldust gave him the tourettes gimmick and he became goofy comedy again. Granted the tourettes was something he had been doing for years backstage as a joke but I'm sure it wasn't his idea to bring it to TV, certainly not in that way.

Advertisement