Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Is there any difference between using the terms championship, championship belt, the belt, title? a la 'superstars' instead of wrestlers.

I know that WWE (ie Vince) don't like using the words belt or strap whatsoever. Can't recall where exactly I've read it but it's on some 'banned' list I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Around the atitude era and early 2000's in the WWE, there was a security guy running around ringside durring PPV's (maybe Raw also, I'm not sure). He looked well built and wore a cap or bandana of some sort.
    Who was this guy and had he any other roles in the company, ie storylines?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Kolido wrote: »
    Around the atitude era and early 2000's in the WWE, there was a security guy running around ringside durring PPV's (maybe Raw also, I'm not sure). He looked well built and wore a cap or bandana of some sort.

WWF Head of Security Jim Dobson

The only time I remember hearing him talking was when he was giving his opinion on the Royal Rumble 2000 winner and whos feet touched first (Big Show or Rock)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Someone on the Obscure Wrestlers Game thread posted his picture and said he had some sort of semi angle with Steve Blackman. Anybody recall this?

Jim Dotson

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRfSi6RphmL8Wd_fmvM2gkuH9OuyAIp3_A225N9jqZP7YSLpR3X

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

Omackeral wrote: »
    I know that WWE (ie Vince) don't like using the words belt or strap whatsoever. Can't recall where exactly I've read it but it's on some 'banned' list I think!

Dusty mentioned not being allowed say strap while commentating on nxt, though he was talking about paiges bra at the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

The security guy Jim Dotson might have been involed in one of the "24/" hardcore title matches but I'm not sure.

They had another security guard who short with average build and had grey hair who would show up segments dressed as a cop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I remember them teasing a feud with Steve Blackman on at least 1 ocassion but it never happened.

There's this website on the net worth of various celebrities. They have wrestlers listed but these numbers look way off. Sheamus' net worth at $7million? :/http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-athletes/wrestlers/sheamus-wrestler/

There's obviously a difference between guessing someone's worth and how much someone has actually earned but I can't imagine Shay has that many millions behind his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭duuuaaaane

There's this website on the net worth of various celebrities. They have wrestlers listed but these numbers look way off. Sheamus' net worth at $7million? :/http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-athletes/wrestlers/sheamus-wrestler/

There's obviously a difference between guessing someone's worth and how much someone has actually earned but I can't imagine Shay has that many millions behind his name.

Those sites aren't even remotely accurate for anybody. If they happen to get a figure correct it's purely coincidence.

• Advertisement

Am watching the Legends of Wrestling roundtable on WrestleMania. I've often heard/read that if WrestleMania wasn't a big hit then the WWF was in serious trouble as Vince and Linda had rolled the dice. But why? They ran shows in MSG for years and Hogan had been a main eventer for the past year. Was it due to perhaps the amount of money they would have had to pay to the celebrities? What would a 'failure' have been?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Am watching the Legends of Wrestling roundtable on WrestleMania. I've often heard/read that if WrestleMania wasn't a big hit then the WWF was in serious trouble as Vince and Linda had rolled the dice. But why? They ran shows in MSG for years and Hogan had been a main eventer for the past year. Was it due to perhaps the amount of money they would have had to pay to the celebrities? What would a 'failure' have been?

Like TNA now they were spending a lot of money to tour their promotion nationally.

Initially WWF had a real hard time drawing in certain cities where rival companies had a stronghold and fans preferred a more sports like presentation. WWF at the time was known for short boring matches both due the big men they had, character driven wrestlers and those who could wrestler had to tone their style as they were working too much and so not to outshine Hulk Hogan.

Besides breaking agreements with other Wrestling companies not to run against each other in their home territories WWF adopted a new costly practice of paying TV stations to air their Wrestling programme. Previously TV stations would pay Wrestling promotions for programming or offer them advertising slots in return. Vince McMahon instead offered the glitzer WWF programming to TV stations for free in exchange for booting off other Wrestling promotion's shows off their station.

WWF also was stockpiling top talent from other Wrestling promotions. So the wage bill was high.

Do any WWE wrestlers live in New York or in the north east of America? A lot seem to reside in Florida I imagine due to cheaper taxes on income.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Do any WWE wrestlers live in New York or in the north east of America? A lot seem to reside in Florida I imagine due to cheaper taxes on income.

Mark Henry lives in NYC, Zack Ryder still lives on Long Island. I'm sure there's more on the roster who reside in the north east.

A lot of the younger guys would have been in developmental in Florida so that might be part of the reason also that a lot have settled there.

Odd request but does anybody have a list of the current roster with their signing dates and then tv debut dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Hematocyte

Q: I've noticed the MITB case routinely gets bashed and dented during its lifetime. Sandow was also freaking out on Smackdown that Cody would throw it into the sea.

My question is : Has there been any storyline involving the case being 'lost' and the result being the character never got his chance to cash it in?

Alternatively has it been established that the superstar actually has to 'care' for the case?

I only ask because Sandows freaking-out over the case didn't seem to make sense otherwise seeing as the case (I'd presumed?) is just largely symbolic.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

To be blunt about it, it's strictly a no to either.

Wrestlers have been in matches where they could lose the case (RVD had a case v IC title match before, Kennedy lost his to Edge and the like) but there's never been a story where a wrestler actually lost the case as in misplaced. (If that's what you meant)

And a wrestler doesn't really have to care for the case, though I'd imagine the Sandow freaking out part is something to do with his character, where he likes things rather neat and presentable to raise him above others.

Didn't know were to put this but just in case anyone asks if Rock was ever offered a WCW deal? :P

https://twitter.com/TheRock/status/361025664738017280

u.gif

This is the most awesome roll up pin finish type of thing. Can someone point me towards some matches where this move was used? Can't think of any WWF/WCW/ECW matches where I saw this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

Have a look at the match betweenthem that roh uploaded on their YouTube channel recently from Northern Navigation, they do a simillar finish
    only he counters into a backslide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,138 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Reading a comment in the smackdown about the Sandow/Rhodes feud getting them air time without jobbing made me wonder has there ever been a feud between 2 mid or lower card wrestlers that led one or both of them to main event status?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Reading a comment in the smackdown about the Sandow/Rhodes feud getting them air time without jobbing made me wonder has there ever been a feud between 2 mid or lower card wrestlers that led one or both of them to main event status?

Rock and Austin feuded over the IC title, the results of which made them huge stars and out them in the Main event Picture.

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Rock and Austin feuded over the IC title, the results of which made them huge stars and out them in the Main event Picture.
    And Austin pretty much shat on the belt in storyline.

Kane and HHH had a feud over the IC belt in Spring of 2001 and a year and a half later they had a PPV match for the Big Gold World belt though it wasn't the same feud and H had headlined in 2000 while Kane had a cup of coffee with the WWF belt in 1998.

Chris Benoit feuded with Chris Jericho and Kurt Angle in the early part of 2001 in the mid card and all three had at least one main event title match that year (Benoit and Jericho had that hot Raw is War tag match and then were in a three way with Austin at KotR; Kurt Angle feuded with Austin for the WWF title later that year and Jericho feuded with Rock for the WCW belt and then won the Undisputed)

Eddie and Rey had a midcard feud in 2005 - Eddie headlined No Mercy against Batista later that year and then Rey held the World belt the next year.

Edge and Orton had a midcard feud with HHH/Shawn in late 2006/ early 2007 and later in 2007 both Edge and Orton wrestled in main event spots. Orton was in the WWF title spot in late 2007, Edge feuded on Smackdown I think with Batista/Undertaker for the World belt and both of them were in the 4way Backlash main event.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Eddie and Rey had a midcard feud in 2005 - Eddie headlined No Mercy against Batista later that year and then Rey held the World belt the next year.

Edge and Orton had a midcard feud with HHH/Shawn in late 2006/ early 2007 and later in 2007 both Edge and Orton wrestled in main event spots. Orton was in the WWF title spot in late 2007, Edge feuded on Smackdown I think with Batista/Undertaker for the World belt and both of them were in the 4way Backlash main event.

Not so sure those ones add up to mid card feuds.

Eddie was already a WWE Champion at that point. Rey wasn't a world champion up to that point but it doesn't mean the feud was mid card.

Rated RKO were not a mid card team, Edge had just ended a feud for the WWE title with Cena where he held it twice. Orton wasn't right up as main event but had feuds with Taker and Hogan in previous months so way above mid card. The fact they feuded with Triple H and HBK put them way above mid card status.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Not so sure those ones add up to mid card feuds.

Eddie was already a WWE Champion at that point. Rey wasn't a world champion up to that point but it doesn't mean the feud was mid card.

You're probably right but their matches were placed in the middle of the card .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I was only really commenting as I think the original question was about established mid carders pushing themselves above the mid card through a feud, rather than World champions moving down the card before going back up the card.

Tbf to you too fighting for custody of a child in baffling circumstances is hardly the stuff of main eventers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

it's just a pity that having a WHC. IC or US title seem to make you midcarder these days, being a mid card feud shouldnt have to mean you are a mid crader, infact they should have far more midcard feuds and have far more people seem to care about their placement on the card, punk seems to be the only one who will mention this as its too kayfabe breaking for the others but there should be far more midcard feuds who should simply care about moving up the food chain in the WWE while beating someone they genuinely dislike than there is and people like Barettt, RVD etc just get stuck in mid card limbo untill they face people the fans dont care about... the IC champ or the US champ if it isnt't a shield member..... and there feud is truely consigned to the midcard.

edit:i should probably add a :) as im very *hic* right about now

Q: Do any WWE wrestlers have their own dressing rooms? I think Rock did when he came back. Any others? I'd imagine Cena prob does.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

it's just a pity that having a WHC. IC or US title seem to make you midcarder these days, being a mid card feud shouldnt have to mean you are a mid crader, infact they should have far more midcard feuds and have far more people seem to care about their placement on the card, punk seems to be the only one who will mention this as its too kayfabe breaking for the others but there should be far more midcard feuds who should simply care about moving up the food chain in the WWE while beating someone they genuinely dislike than there is and people like Barettt, RVD etc just get stuck in mid card limbo untill they face people the fans dont care about... the IC champ or the US champ if it isnt't a shield member..... and there feud is truely consigned to the midcard.

edit:i should probably add a :) as im very *hic* right about now

Do you know they aren't really champions?

Advertisement