Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,138 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Thanks for the replies. Yeah I was thinking of guys that people didn't expect to do well until they got into feuds with each other that went over well. I suppose Michaels and Jannetty were like this? Though only 1 of them had success from it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Did WWE ever try and hire Dave Meltzer? They could have offered him a decent salary and placed him as editor of one of their magazines. It could have been a way of curbing the perceived intrusion to the business that many of the older stock felt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Did WWE ever try and hire Dave Meltzer? They could have offered him a decent salary and placed him as editor of one of their magazines. It could have been a way of curbing the perceived intrusion to the business that many of the older stock felt.

He was legitimately hired by WWF in the mid 80s. As like a historian or something. It was a bogus thing to try and temper him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

You say WWE but don't you mean WWF? Vince exposed the business* way more than Meltzer considering it was the former promoting stupid gimmicks or illogical things.

Meltzer has said that many of the 80s promoters were WON subscribers - Vince used a psudeonym or had a relative of his wife subscribe to it. The Observer was useful to promoters to find out what was going on in other territories.

*even things like the Randy Savage elbow drop: Meltzer pointed out in the 80s that moves like that exposed the business since it made no sense why a guy would just lie there waiting to recieve the move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

They are lucky they didn`t get John Laurinaitis to hire him he`d of hire this guy instead

davidpenzer.jpg

• Advertisement

You say WWE but don't you mean WWF? Vince exposed the business* way more than Meltzer considering it was the former promoting stupid gimmicks or illogical things.

Meltzer has said that many of the 80s promoters were WON subscribers - Vince used a psudeonym or had a relative of his wife subscribe to it. The Observer was useful to promoters to find out what was going on in other territories.

*even things like the Randy Savage elbow drop: Meltzer pointed out in the 80s that moves like that exposed the business since it made no sense why a guy would just lie there waiting to recieve the move.

Not the fact that the sport is predetermined but the behind the scenes gossip and such, who has heat backstage etc.

I know Ole Anderson for instance does not have a very high opinion of Meltzer. Guys of that vintage might not appreciate somebody who they'd perceive as a mark writing about backstage goings on.

Guys like Ole Anderson are long gone. Jim Cornette was probably the last person to work on the WWF booking comittee to be concerned with protecting the businessg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭ispini1984

Mate of mine asked me a poser other day and im struggling for an answer,

Has a championship or a no 1 contender match result winner changed during the match, from the pre scripted winner, due to injury or by any other method?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭therickreport

New Year's Revolution 2006 i think. Trish Stratus and Lita had a Women's title match. Lita had just won the title off Trish a few weeks ago and this was Trish's rematch so she was likely going to retain the title (i think Mickie James would have been brought up to feud with Lita rather than Trish). Lita tore her ACL a few minutes into the match and couldn't physically stand so they had to improvise the end and Trish won. she prob assumed that Lita would have to drop the title anyway and it would likely get put back on her so why wait?

ispini1984 wrote: »

Has a championship or a no 1 contender match result winner changed during the match, from the pre scripted winner, due to injury or by any other method?

Cheers

Verne Gagne wrestled AWA champion Nick Bockwinkle one time and had apparently decided during the match that he was going over and getting the belt. Gagne was the AwA booker and owner.

The Hardcore title match at WrestleMania 2000 had a botch ending. It was supposed to go 15 minutes or something and there was a screw up with keeping time (the clock at the entrance was out of sync I believe). Anyway, Hardcore Holly wasn't supposed to win.

The Bret Hart v Shawn Michaels Survivor Series 1997 match for the WWF belt is obviously worth mentioning. Jim Cornette was on the booking comittee that year and would have been producing backstage. He says he asked Vince if he had a finish for the match, Vince said he did and Cornette said 'fine, that's all I need to know'. I'm not sure who else knew the planned finish besides Vince, Hunter, Shawn, Chyna probably and Earl Hebner. Patterson and Briscoe knew and I'd imagine Slaughter too though Patterson claimed in a Legends of Wrestling discussion not to know. Screwjob finishes or shoot finishes apparently happened more often in the territory days.

I'd say the finish to DX v RKO might have been altered on the fly after Triple H tore his quad. You can see a lot of communication between the wrestlers and the ref after H is injured. I think it was for the tag titles.

We might see a match at SummerSlam have a finish altered during the match if WWE really wanna catch out their leak :p

• Advertisement

Oh and this article suggests that a Ric Flair match in Dominican Republic changed mid-match due to fear of a riot.

http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=30190&p=1

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

ispini1984 wrote: »

Cheers

A tag team championship match in the 1990's saw Men on a Mission capture the tag team titles by accident in the UK when the 500lb Mabel fell on his opponent and the pin was counted. The titles switched back 2 days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Heres a question... Wheres the Raw thread?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Cianan2 wrote: »
    Heres a question... Wheres the Raw thread?

It was started last week! :P

Beware of spoilers: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056999382

The show was taped last week.

Just watching the KC Sean Waltman 1994 Timeline interview there and he mentions that the WWF rings were always so hard because they hard larger guys back in the day working on them. In "Three Faces of Foley" Mick Foley mentions this - that the WWF rings were rock solid - and after his insane HIAC bump they loosened up a bit. Was this the truth? That the WWF rings were so hard for so long because WWF always had larger wrestlers bumping on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

The Andre thread got me thinking who would you guys rate as the greatest giants in wrestling (ringwork aside, just pure "look")

I'd have to say excusing the paint on buttcheeks I always rated Gonzalez as having the weirdest look. Khali is big but with being so trim and being with Whippleman Giant Gonzalez looked about 11feet tall.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JrdanB

I didn't watch raw "live" last night, in fact I haven't finished watching it yet - but I understand it was recorded sometime last week. What did they do for the social media things?

During the shield match, King and Cole pointed out - and it had the graphic on screen that Mr. McMahon was trending worldwide - that can't be faked - does anyone know what the story with that bit was? Was it something they just said, (as in he wasn't actually trending, or they were hoping he would be) Or if they dubbed in a line or something?

As good as the production values for raw are, it's normally pretty obvious when they're editing stuff, particularly adding sound (see piped cheers) but that line didn't sound any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

With regards to "live tweeting" and such, I believe it was all planned out (none of the commentary or graphics were actually live). They showed the commentators talking, and chatted about trends that were most likely happening (eg "RAW", "Mr. McMahon"), but presented them as live. I'd imagine tweets from wrestlers were scheduled tweets. Their hoodwinking is really impressive. If you didn't know it was live it was absolutely seamless.

To add to said seamlessness, the fake audio probably drew your attention away from the twitter shenanigans. It's like how they do pre-taped footage but present it as live, but when it comes to replays, they always have a 1-2 second pause to "cue it up" when they don't need it. It sells the pre-taped stuff as live.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

If I had a penny for everytime WWE said something was trending on twitter and it actually was, I'd still be dirt poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JrdanB

So do you think the commentary was recorded separately in a studio somewhere? Possibly "live" on Monday night?

• Advertisement

JrdanB wrote: »
    So do you think the commentary was recorded separately in a studio somewhere? Possibly "live" on Monday night?

It couldn't be, they showed the commentators on camera. There'd also be a higher quality sound & lower energy level if they did. They just extrapolated what would be trending. It was excellently done I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Hematocyte

Q: Do the WWE have multiple rings/riggings/assembly teams etc or do they just have only one team + equipment that goes to every single city?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

They'd have multiple. With house shows and all that, there's no way they'd get by with only one. And not strictly related, but the refs always pitch in with the ring assembly/disassembly, I remember seeing Charles Robinson helping at the April show in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

On a semi-related note, do they have separate gear for the European tours that's stored over here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

Andy_rse wrote: »
    On a semi-related note, do they have separate gear for the European tours that's stored over here?

not sure about WWE but TNA last time used an IWW ring or if not that they used the lads from there to help set up whatever ring they had

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Hematocyte wrote: »
    Q: Do the WWE have multiple rings/riggings/assembly teams etc or do they just have only one team + equipment that goes to every single city?

They run two house show circuits. One for Raw and one for Smackdown. They'd have at least two full time teams going.

Someone let me know if I've got the commentary/twitter RAW shenanigans right or wrong when it's reported!

Hematocyte wrote: »

I remember an interview on youtube with a truck driver working the WWE run. He worked for a trucking firm who WWE hire to haul equipment. There's two fleets the tv and the house show, the house shows have one truck each. The TV fleet travel for the most part in convoy. They bring everything on the road with them 365 days a year.

After Tuesday's SD taping, they'll plan their route for the next Monday or Sunday if there's a PPV. Depending on where they're going this could mean sitting in a truck stop for 2, 3 days, they don't go home. They get paid 110 dollars a day, including days spent sitting. When at tapings they are put up in hotels and have their meals and taxis to and from the arena paid for.

They take time off when the company goes overseas. A tough life I'd imagine in many ways, it would wear you down eventually and $770 a week before taxes doesn't seem great. Most long distance truckers earn by the mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

Just caught a bit of impact last night. Is there any particular reason, kayfabe and/or legit, for changing Suicide to Manik?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Andy_rse wrote: »
    Just caught a bit of impact last night. Is there any particular reason, kayfabe and/or legit, for changing Suicide to Manik?

Suicide being a masked character resonates well with kids, But Suicide isn't a very marketable or PC name when releasing merchandise aimed towards youngsters

Advertisement