Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

EdK wrote: »
    Suicide being a masked character resonates well with kids, But Suicide isn't a very marketable or PC name when releasing merchandise aimed towards youngsters

Thought that may be the case, cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Andy_rse wrote: »
    Just caught a bit of impact last night. Is there any particular reason, kayfabe and/or legit, for changing Suicide to Manik?

The real reason has been said, so in kayfabe, when Suicide was revealed as TJP, Hogan renamed him. That was all that was said on screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

Regaring finishers/signature moves, are there many examples of moves named after a wrestlers gimmick which continue to hold that name after the wrestler leaves/retires.

Only one that springs to mind is the sharpshooter, arguanly the tombstone as well, although taker is still around part-time

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

ceegee wrote: »
    Regaring finishers/signature moves, are there many examples of moves named after a wrestlers gimmick which continue to hold that name after the wrestler leaves/retires.

Only one that springs to mind is the sharpshooter, arguanly the tombstone as well, although taker is still around part-time
    The Million Dollar Dream springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Would the Lou thesz press be one, though named after the wrestle not the gimmick?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

DDT. Damien's Dinner Time. Named for Jake the Snake Roberts pet. A move used by nearly everyone in thee business.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Camel clutch, which I think got it's name from the Original Sheik.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Kolido wrote: »
    Would the Lou thesz press be one, though named after the wrestle not the gimmick?

If it counts, then the Asai Moonsault has to be included.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Omackeral wrote: »
    DDT. Damien's Dinner Time. Named for Jake the Snake Roberts pet. A move used by nearly everyone in thee business.

FWIW, Jake named DDT after DichloroDiphenylTrichloroethane, a pesticide which was in the newspapers/banned for it's horrendous effects on the neurological system. Damien's Dinner Time is a popular fan-made alternative.

Regaring finishers/signature moves, are there many examples of moves named after a wrestlers gimmick which continue to hold that name after the wrestler leaves/retires

Tough one! Shawn's Superkick (it should be an outside crescent kick)
    Great Muta's Shining Wizard.
    Fujinami's Dragon Sleeper was used by Owen Hart and Dan Severn and was called as such. Although Taker used it for a brief period and called it TCB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Billy Gunns "FameASSer" has followed through thanks to Ziggler and Cole.

How many times has the Montreal Screwjob been rehashed/worked into storyline?
    I know WCW incorporated it into Starrcade 97 and WWF "re-did" it for Series 98 but there's got to be lots more.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I know another time it was revived was when Undertaker faced Punk in (I think) a submission match. Either way, Punk locked in the Anaconda Vice, and the ref called it without Taker tapping. Dunno how many times it'll have been rehashed in the various companies though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I know WCW incorporated it into Starrcade 97 and WWF "re-did" it for Series 98 but there's got to be lots more.

Punk and Taker does that count?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Heel Dude Love "beat" Steve Blackman on Raw is War in April 1998 when Vince (who was at ringside) told the time keeper to ring the bell when Dude had Blackman in an abdominal stretch. It was to build for the Austin/Dude match at Unforgiven where it was teased that Vince might screw Austin a la Montreal.

Vince told Johnny Ace to go get the timekeeper to ring the bell at Money in the Bank 2011 during the Punk/Cena match.

Then there was the Survivor Series 1998 finish which you know about and the aforementioned Punk/Taker match.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭bobby_says_hi

TNA also tried to recreate it with Kurt Angle and AJ Styles in 2010 I think, though it made no sense at the time like virtually most of TNA storylines

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

there was the time The Rock became The Corporate Champion by screwing Foley Montreal style at a survivor series with McMahon iirc

Here's what we got so far :

LIST OF MONTREAL SCREWJOBS/parodies
    The Original, Survivor Series 97
    WCW Starrcade 97
    Raw is War in April 1998 Heel Dude Love "beat" Steve Blackman
    Survivor Series 98
    Rock vs Hogan no way out 2003
    Punk/Taker Breaking Point 2009
    Kurt Angle and AJ Styles in 2010
    Money in the Bank 2011 during the Punk/Cena match

Anything else? I bet WCW had a ton of them :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Here's what we got so far :

LIST OF MONTREAL SCREWJOBS/parodies
    The Original, Survivor Series 97
    WCW Starrcade 97
    Raw is War in April 1998 Heel Dude Love "beat" Steve Blackman
    Survivor Series 98
    Rock vs Hogan no way out 2003
    Punk/Taker Breaking Point 2009
    Kurt Angle and AJ Styles in 2010
    Money in the Bank 2011 during the Punk/Cena match

Anything else? I bet WCW had a ton of them :o

Are you working on a project or is this natural curiosity?

Read this:
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Wrestling/MontrealScrewjob?from=Main.MontrealScrewjob

The worst one on moral grounds for me was:
    On the May 28, 2001 edition of Raw is War held in Calgary, Alberta (Hart's hometown), Stone Cold Steve Austin (the then-WWF Champion) put Chris Benoit (a long-time friend of the Hart family) in the Crippler Crossface, and McMahon ordered the bell rung. As if recreating the Screwjob in Hart's hometown wasn't bad enough, Hart's father Stu was sitting at ringside.

First time Stu and a lot of the Hart family attended a WWF show since Owen had died.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

rovert wrote: »

The worst one on moral grounds for me was:

First time Stu and a lot of the Hart family attended a WWF show since Owen had died.

Jaysus, that is some horrible pure Alpha **** just for the sake of it it seems. I'd love to live in McMahons head for a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Hematocyte

Q: In the movie "The Wrestler" there's a scene backstage with the various Wrestlers working out their matches that night. One thing I noted was that (as a group) they were deciding which moves they were going to take for their particular match.

Is this true to form (ie that the wrestlers on any particular roster take the complete set of moves available and divide it up so that there isn't any (or at least much) repetition?). Also if so then does this mean that if a new guy comes in to the WWE and has a standard move (say a Spear) but some guy is already using it regularly that the new guy will have to drop the move from his set?

In WWE making sure they don't use the same finish for different matches is the road agents jobs. Indy organisations it'd be the wrestlers themselves, overseen by some mainstays and the head booker.

With people using the same move, it doesn't really cross over because every newb has to go through developmental where they'll work out the guy's new finisher and setup move. But the spear's pretty generic so I think it's fair game (although Kaitlyn's using it as a finisher...that wouldn't matter to male wrestlers)

Back in the day let's say Goldberg comes in, and Edge is around, (both use the spear) if they're on different rosters, that's fine. If they went on the same roster, they'd probably make an angle out of it. But if Goldberg's around then a new guy wouldn't come in using the spear.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Hematocyte

Going back a long way here but .....

Q: Does anyone know of a wrestler in the 80's who used lay (I think?) a Vietnamese flag over his opponent when he beat them? I think he was a white guy and might have been playing some "vietnam vet" angle or something? I remember seeing it on Eurosport, so it was one of whatever federations that channel used to show back in the 80's.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JrdanB

I've always been interested in who creates the wrestling moves, eg. Jake Roberts and the DDT. Is there anyone on the active WWE roster who has been credited with inventing any moves?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

RVD surely? Rolling thunder, split-legged moonsault? (Not quite so sure about that one) Vandaminator/terminator.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

With people using the same move, it doesn't really cross over because every newb has to go through developmental where they'll work out the guy's new finisher and setup move. But the spear's pretty generic so I think it's fair game (although Kaitlyn's using it as a finisher...that wouldn't matter to male wrestlers)

It's something I find quite weird actually; we've got three people using the Spear as their finisher right now. Christian, Kaitlyn and Roman Reigns all use it as their match ender.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,862 ✭✭✭kksaints

Why was the King of the Ring ppv scrapped after 2002?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

It's something I find quite weird actually; we've got three people using the Spear as their finisher right now. Christian, Kaitlyn and Roman Reigns all use it as their match ender.

I would see a difference between a Spear and The Gore.

Reigns seems to be using it in the form of a Gore, a fast mid-tackle with no catch. He should rams his shoulder into their stomach.

Kaitlyn is using a mix of both depend on who she faces. AJ can make it look like the most painful gore in the world, but against others it just looks like a spear and you can see her put her arms around them. Make it looks like shes also grabbing them and dragging them down when spearing them.

Christian just grabs everyone. He runs at them, but then grabs them like it's a rugby tackle instead of a spear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Think it was scrapped because it lost it's allure and wasn't much of a draw anymore.

Pity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

WTF is up with Cena's left elbow? Only noticed it last night.

Advertisement