Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Importing New car from the UK

• 09-03-2010 9:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi Guys, I know that this has been done a 1,000,000 times before but I can't find the VRT thread...

The old man is looking at importing a new car from the UK, I'm aware of how the car will be liable for Irish VAT based on the ex VAT price in the UK in €'s but what I'm wondering is how the VRT is calculated - is it the VRT rate of the list price of the car or is it the VRT rate of 90% of the list price of the car, ie the famous OMSP? I know that for used cars the VRT is based on 90% of the "retail price" which is the OMSP but can anyone tell me how it works on new cars?

And it's about a €2k difference between the 90 and 100% of the list price!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

SGKM wrote: »
    Hi Guys, I know that this has been done a 1,000,000 times before but I can't find the VRT thread...

The old man is looking at importing a new car from the UK, I'm aware of how the car will be liable for Irish VAT based on the ex VAT price in the UK in €'s but what I'm wondering is how the VRT is calculated - is it the VRT rate of the list price of the car or is it the VRT rate of 90% of the list price of the car, ie the famous OMSP? I know that for used cars the VRT is based on 90% of the "retail price" which is the OMSP but can anyone tell me how it works on new cars?

And it's about a €2k difference between the 90 and 100% of the list price!

Thanks in advance.

It depends on the actual model, but most volume cars it's 92% of the total retail cost for the OMSP, then VRT is based on that.

Easiest way is to check ROS.ie, unless the car is loaded with extra's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭SGKM

Thanks.

I've checked ros.ie and it seems to be the list price but I thought I remembered someone here saying that for new cars it's based on 90% of the retail price to get the OMSP.

And it will be a fairly loaded car so that causes a bit of confusion/worry too.

Advertisement