Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cpu replacement prob

Options
  • 09-03-2010 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭

I decided to take a try at cpu replacement. But it hasnt gone well
    It wasnt a major upgrade, going from a 2.4 to 3ghz dual core.
    The mobo can def take the cpu

So, i replaced the cpu, following you tube vids and guides.
    The problem hit when i finished,turned the computer on and everything went ok at first but the computer fails to boot. To be more exact, all fans and led's turn on but there is no display,not even as far as bios.

So far
    -ive triple checked all connections and cables
    -took the whole thing apart and put back together again
    -removed the mobo battery
    -systematically removing each component in an effort to isolate the issue

so does anyone know what maybe the problem? Or what i can try next?

Comp specs
    -asus p5n mobo
    -4gb ocz ram
    -8800gts
    -3.0ghz processor intel core 2 duo
    Comp specs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You prob need to clear cmos and set optimised defaults, then reset all Your settings. RTFM for info on where the cmos jumper is on the mobo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Impossible to say based on the info you've supplied already, but your BIOS may need flashing to a newer version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Impossible to say based on the info you've supplied already, but your BIOS may need flashing to a newer version.

Thats prob it if clearing cmos doesn't work, the 3.0Ghz C2d would be the newer penryn with 1333mhz fsb as opposed to 2.4Ghz conroe which is 1066mhz, maybe the bios doesn't support 1333mhz. You may need to update with the old cpu if You can't get it to post with the new one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Ok i cleared the cmos with the jumpers as you said,alas no change.

The mobo says its capable of1066 & 1333mhz fsb. So theres no reason the cpu shouldnt work. However,i will try putting in tge old processor andsee what happens although im sure it will be thesame result.

Dear god this is exhausting. If i do get the computer running, ill never change a cpu ever again, pain in the ass :(

thanks for the help so far, very much appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Krieg wrote: »
    Ok i cleared the cmos with the jumpers as you said,alas no change.

The mobo says its capable of1066 & 1333mhz fsb. So theres no reason the cpu shouldnt work. However,i will try putting in tge old processor andsee what happens although im sure it will be thesame result.

Dear god this is exhausting. If i do get the computer running, ill never change a cpu ever again, pain in the ass :(

thanks for the help so far, very much appreciated
    I'm suspecting (you still haven't given exact details) that your CPU is much newer than your motherboard. Therefore the BIOS pre-dates the CPU by some time... a couple of years even?

So while your mobo is capable of running a 1333 processor, it still needs the BIOS to be flashed to a newer version to do so. This is exactly as it was with my Asus P5K Pro and E8400 combo - the BIOS that shipped with the motherboard couldn't support a processor that hadn't even seen the light of day yet.

I'm not familiar with your exact mobo, but I didn't need to put an old CPU in to flash it - Asus have a few different tools for flashing the BIOS, and using EzFlash I was able to do it off a USB drive, with the E8400 already installed. It was a while ago now, but I think it was this guide that I followed.

EDIT: Of course, all this info could be moot... we still don't know what BIOS you're running, and what CPU you're trying to install, so I may be completely barking up the wrong tree here!

• Advertisement
Advertisement