Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderator for a .270

Options
  • 09-03-2010 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭

I have my eye on a Tikka T3 .270 but havent fired a .270 in about five years and can only remember the recoil!! (i was only 14 at the time)

i am now well used to firing a .243 with no mod on it.

What i want to no is what would the best mod to get in terms of recoil reduction??( i stand to be corrected but doesnt mods reduce recoil also)

To be honest i don't think i'd like a .270 unless the recoil was somewhat reduced so any help would be great!

And since this will be for stalking a muzzle brake would be a bit unsuitable! Hope ye can help in finding a good mod for this gun!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

patsat wrote: »
    I have my eye on a Tikka T3 .270 but havent fired a .270 in about five years and can only remember the recoil!! (i was only 14 at the time)

What i want to no is what would the best mod to get in terms of recoil reduction??( i stand to be corrected but doesnt mods reduce recoil also)

To be honest i don't think i'd like a .270 unless the recoil was somewhat reduced so any help would be great!

And since this will be for stalking a muzzle brake would be a bit unsuitable! Hope ye can help in finding a good mod for this gun!
    The T8 will do the job as well as reduce recoil, but why not look out for a 308 if you are concerned about recoil, will do just a good a job as the 270 and pure sweet with a Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

From looking around i'd prefer the .270 to the .308, thats only my opinion and i'm young so may get one in years to come! But for now i am just wondering are some mods better at reducing recoil than others??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

i use a jetz on my 270 i like it very much.have a t8 also .but always use the jetz .

jwshooter i use a jetz on my 270 i like it very much.have a t8 also .but always use the jetz ./QUOTE]

And how much would that reduce recoil? Lets say comparing it to a .243?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

jwshooter i use a jetz on my 270 i like it very much.have a t8 also .but always use the jetz ./QUOTE]

And how much would that reduce recoil? Lets say comparing it to a .243?

none really ,you would not notice it .i would shoot my 243 and 270 on the range i cant say the 270 recoils more.

dont get hung up on recoil .

tips .

wear a padded jacket .

plugs and muffs.

shoot of a bench ,not prone.

dont over shoot .

learn how to shoot a fullbore .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

From looking around i'd prefer the .270 to the .308, thats only my opinion and i'm young so may get one in years to come! But for now i am just wondering are some mods better at reducing recoil than others??
    I agree,I wasnt knockng it, I had one for years superb calibre, would have no problem reverting back, but now i have tried almost all the calibres out there I have the 308 now. If i had tried the 308 before the 270 I would have kept the 270, plenty of choices of ammo out there

ya i just remember it being fairly sharp when i was younger!

i don't do any target shooting so there will be no fear of me overshooting!

I would never be that lucky to see enough deer to "overshoot"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

I have an ASE ULTRA
    http://aseutra.fi/english/index.html
    Smaller than other mods lighter too. A littly pricey though if you are a student

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

I second the ase ultra jet z..I have one on my 300 win mag and it gets the job done no worries

thanks lads could i get a round figure of what they might set me back?
    Wouldn't mind spending big for a good one!

• Advertisement

thanks lads could i get a round figure of what they might set me back?
    Wouldn't mind spending big for a good one!

Around 350-370 for a ase jetz.... if ya rifle is threaded for a mod well and good if not your up for another 50-80e....
    You could get a nice little muzzle break for around 200e but there loud as f^&**.....

the rifle isnt threaded!

getting it done by the landers in tralee, thats where the guun is on sale,

it will start to get expensive once its all added up but should be well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

To be honest, the .270 isn't a real kicker. I'd be more worried about the noise - it's loud as all hell and that can make you twitchy faster than actual recoil will. If you're happy enough with the noise, you might want to try without a mod to keep your costs and weight down. Might be worth having the muzzle threaded, then you can decide later whether to add a mod. I certainly wouldn't rely on five year old impressions about the recoil to make you skittish. Great calibre choice by the way. ;) I've it's sister, the .25-06, which is about identical to fire in terms of noise and recoil, and it's very easy to take. Definitely not going to hurt you.

the rifle isnt threaded!

getting it done by the landers in tralee, thats where the guun is on sale,

it will start to get expensive once its all added up but should be well worth it.

Well worth it indeed....Stalking in a great hobbie to have and youve chosen wisely on the caliber for the job...Good luck with it;)

i have been stalking all last year with my father and loved it! was using his .243 Cz 550.

Said i'd get a .270 after hearing the good reviews and wanted to try a different caliber.

i must learn how to put up a few pics of the fallow i got!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Good choice. You won't regret it.

i'll be making my mind up tomorrow when i take the trip down to tralee so i'll let ye no my set up of choice then.

Put a deposit on a new CZ-550 in .270 in Halpins in listowel.

once i get the gun i'll thread it and get the barrell floated a bit better.

Should be happy with it then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

Put a deposit on a new CZ-550 in .270 in Halpins in listowel.

once i get the gun i'll thread it and get the barrell floated a bit better.

Should be happy with it then.

best of luck with your new rifle,;)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭noodle650

you cant strip a t8 which in my opinion makes this a HUGE design flaw. as even soaking in wd40 will not remove all of the crud.
    Go for a Wildcat predator 8. Fully strippable. and i you decide to upgrade or buy a second gun then all you have to do is buy the front baffle section in the specific calibre. no need to buy a new mod entirely

• Advertisement
Advertisement