Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building Regulations Insulatoin of plasterboard walls and Ceiling

• 09-03-2010 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi there.I've bought a new build that has been finished in 2007 and has planning permission has been granted in 2006. Since we have 2 kids things were getting noisy...I figured that all upstair walls in our dormer house are made of plaster board with a timber frame with no insulation inbetween at all. We can also hear the kids playing trough the ceiling although I've seen that there seems to be rockwool used for insulation. Now I'm wondering if there is some building regulation that tells me if there has to be a insulation for the plasterboard walls upstairs and as well if there is something on the sound proofing regulated....

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭qc3

Joe76 wrote: »
    Hi there.I've bought a new build that has been finished in 2007 and has planning permission has been granted in 2006. Since we have 2 kids things were getting noisy...I figured that all upstair walls in our dormer house are made of plaster board with a timber frame with no insulation inbetween at all. We can also hear the kids playing trough the ceiling although I've seen that there seems to be rockwool used for insulation. Now I'm wondering if there is some building regulation that tells me if there has to be a insulation for the plasterboard walls upstairs and as well if there is something on the sound proofing regulated....

cheers
    It's a problem most people have with stud walls upstairs.the only regulation the requires a stud wall to be insulated is wcs,Bathrooms and onsuites.it's something you will have to put up with unless you spend a small fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Joe76

qc3 wrote: »
    It's a problem most people have with stud walls upstairs.the only regulation the requires a stud wall to be insulated is wcs,Bathrooms and onsuites.it's something you will have to put up with unless you spend a small fortune.

thx for that. would you have an idea where I get some legal documents on the parts to be insulated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,456 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

qc3 wrote: »
    the only regulation the requires a stud wall to be insulated is wcs,Bathrooms and onsuites.it's something you will have to put up with unless you spend a small fortune.
    What? The regs don't require WCs to be insulated.
    They deal with sound transfer between different units, and even then its all rooms. There are CoPs for apartments, but that is obviously no relevant here, nor a reg
    Joe76 wrote: »
    thx for that. would you have an idea where I get some legal documents on the parts to be insulated?

As I said above, there is no requirement for any internal sound insulation. It's your house, you control what goes on etc. The only requirement is to limit external sound coming into the house. it's common for stud walls not to be insulated, only really happens in self builds.
    There is little you can do now with out spending a lot.

Advertisement