Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Lense

• 09-03-2010 10:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭

Hi I want to buy this camera with a lense good enough to take action shots like football pics from a distance. What can ye recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it depends how close you can get to the sideline.

tbh i'm not a sport photographer but from what i can see you'll need an absolute minimum focal length of 200mm if you can get right up to the sideline. 300 to 400mm would be easier to work but are considerably more expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

You need a fast lens for sports shots. the 70-200mm f2.8 is very popular for sports but expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    You need a fast lens for sports shots. the 70-200mm f2.8 is very popular for sports but expensive.

T'is one lovely lens to use, had a chance to use it last year for a football match. :D Another option is a prime but they are even more expensive. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

it depends how close you can get to the sideline.

tbh i'm not a sport photographer but from what i can see you'll need an absolute minimum focal length of 200mm if you can get right up to the sideline. 300 to 400mm would be easier to work but are considerably more expensive.

I can get right up to the side of the pitch.
    pixbyjohn wrote: »

Your right is a nice lens but WOW with the price

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

If your budget is low then get yourself a Sigma 70-300mm. You should be able to pick one up for about €150

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

Whats your budget is the name of the game my friend. Always the 1st thing is cash

Idealy you want
    http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/lens/af/telephoto/af-s_vr_300mmf_28g_if/index.htm
    or
    http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/lens/af/telephoto/af-s_400mmf_28g_vr/index.htm

I mean they would be nice and thats what the pros will be using under the right circumstances but your looking at 4-7k there lol

Whats your price range?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 fizzoo12

Hi,

I'm fairly new to this game and I have a Nikon D70, 35-70 lens. I'd like to add something more maybe for wedding and portraits, can anyone suggest another lens size ???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Again, whats your budget?

A 70-200 f2.8 would be ideal for weddings and portraits but it's approx 1K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

fizzoo12 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm fairly new to this game and I have a Nikon D70, 35-70 lens. I'd like to add something more maybe for wedding and portraits, can anyone suggest another lens size ???

Nikon 50mm F/1.8 would suit if you don't need a long zoom

Advertisement