Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[C&C] Dublin Skyline

• 09-03-2010 10:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭

hey guys,
    I'm planning on getting a print done up for a house-warming gift for my brother. I'd love some feedback on the photo's below, even if it's just to say which one you prefer. I want to have the best photo I possibly can so I've no problem going and re-shooting if people can suggest better techniques/locations etc.
    Thanks, Mark

DSC_0192_stitch3-2.jpg

DSC_0146_stitch3-2.jpg

DSC_0260_stitch3-2.jpg

DSC_0260_stitch3-5.jpg

DSC_0260_stitch3-4.jpg

DSC_0260_stitch3-3.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

I like No.4 the most, especially the colour of the sky!

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭stabo

No. 4 for me,great pics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I'd go with 3 if you can lighten the shadows a bit. And does it need a slight tilt to the left?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

No1 and number 5 I think are great shots. Where abouts did you shoot them from ? I wouldn't mind trying to recreate those shot for my own expieriance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

#1 or #3 for me. If going with #3, i think it needs straightened a tiny bit

PS, are you still getting it printed on canvas? You will probably end up loosing a lot of the detail if you do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I like # 6, it has a more sophisticated look for an image of that type. Would look well in a modern styled home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

#4 is my favourite, I really like #2 too but it's a bit too dark in the buildings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

#1 or #3 for me. lovely shots!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Bosshogg

Nice set.
    What about a triplet set of 1+2+3? Get creative with the framing maybe?

If I've to pick just one I'm going for #2. The building on the left leans back for fear of getting a poke in the eye from the bridge. Probably should have stayed on for lights on in buildings as in 1+3? The fore is a fair bit dark unfortunately. I still like it though despite the so so faults.

The last 3 do nothing for me unless it's a really magnolia & brown leather house in which case the sepia could work. So that said I suppose knowing where the picture will go might influence your final decission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I like #'s 1-3; the following photos just don't appeal to me as much when they are stood up to the originals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭m_s_nixon

Thanks for all the feedback :pac:
    I'd go with 3 if you can lighten the shadows a bit. And does it need a slight tilt to the left?

you're right, it looked straight to me at the time!
    Cionn wrote: »
    Where abouts did you shoot them from ?

#1 is from Hanover Quay, the others are from Sean O'Casey Bridge
    are you still getting it printed on canvas? You will probably end up loosing a lot of the detail if you do

I still hope to, do you mean losing the sides when they get wrapped around the frame, or that the detail in the photo won't be as clear?
    Bosshogg wrote: »
    Nice set.
    What about a triplet set of 1+2+3? Get creative with the framing maybe?

If I've to pick just one I'm going for #2. The building on the left leans back for fear of getting a poke in the eye from the bridge. Probably should have stayed on for lights on in buildings as in 1+3?

Hmmm, I never thought about combining them, will have a think about that.

I actually do have photos of #2 after it got dark, I somehow overlooked them. will post it up later

m_s_nixon wrote: »
    I still hope to, do you mean losing the sides when they get wrapped around the frame, or that the detail in the photo won't be as clear?

The detail in the photo won't be as clear.
    I got stcstc to print me off two last year that are mounted to MDF. Basically its like a normal photo, wrapped on a piece of MDF and is then covered with a clear layer of thin plastic.
    It really looks the part and gives a similar frameless effect to a canvas print, but because its on paper you keep all the detail

....anyways, canvas is sooooo last century :D

. Basically its like a normal photo, wrapped on a piece of MDF and is then covered with a clear layer of thin plastic.

Dunno about canvas being out of fashion but I kinda agree that a gloss finish might be better if you go for the vibrant colours in 1,2 or 3.

I imagine wrapping on mdf would make it very heavy. Kinda like what you're saying this guy http://www.frameworksireland.ie/ has a lovely framed air light board that's heat glued and laminated, it's very classy but won't require drilling hilti nails into the "new house" walls.

NIXON, expanding on the original idea, what about making a collage with the 3 main pics, and then fill the Bg with soft BW pics?

Just throwing ideas out there.

this is the one after it got a bit darker, I think I prefer the other one

DSC_0266_stitch-2.jpg

The detail in the photo won't be as clear.
    I got stcstc to print me off two last year that are mounted to MDF. Basically its like a normal photo, wrapped on a piece of MDF and is then covered with a clear layer of thin plastic.
    It really looks the part and gives a similar frameless effect to a canvas print, but because its on paper you keep all the detail

Frameless is really all I want, i thought it was only done on canvas but I'll look into that. does it still have the same wrap around effect that the canvas printing has?
    Bosshogg wrote: »
    Dunno about canvas being out of fashion but I kinda agree that a gloss finish might be better if you go for the vibrant colours in 1,2 or 3.

I imagine wrapping on mdf would make it very heavy. Kinda like what you're saying this guy http://www.frameworksireland.ie/ has a lovely framed air light board that's heat glued and laminated, it's very classy but won't require drilling hilti nails into the "new house" walls.

NIXON, expanding on the original idea, what about making a collage with the 3 main pics, and then fill the Bg with soft BW pics?

Just throwing ideas out there.

I think going for a collage might just be too much detail but I appreciate the ideas :)

Like this. About 15mm thick imagemor.jpg

this is the one after it got a bit darker, I think I prefer the other one

DSC_0266_stitch-2.jpg

This picture is pretty awesome. The lights on are beautiful. The thing is for me now is that you've got NO sky at all. The building that ducks away is dim. You know the trick about the light up time, lights on at dusk. And maybe a HDR trick for the boat on the left? Also the crane lights now look a bit UFO wierd now. I think the shot is definately there, and you're close, it's just a bit in-betweeny so far.

Still though looking at this now again I think you're on to a winner. I think it's modern and fresh. I like this more than #2, but #2 is not bad coz it has that "chromy" look to it. The pink & blue sky is really cool too.

Was the camera left on a tripod? Is there a chance for a little photoshop blending??

@longshanks; what I'm talking about is very thin plastic coated foam board. Your print is applied with heat and glue and then the whole lot is laminated for protection. Then it's mounted in a very light frame that looks classy. Perfectly suited to these shots.
    That thing on your wall is "sooooo last century" :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

1 and 2 for me :) great shots

between these 2 now. I'm leaning very much towards the 1st one

DSC_0260_stitch3-8.jpg

DSC_0260_stitch3-6-1.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭pearljamfan

between these 2 now. I'm leaning very much towards the 1st one

DSC_0260_stitch3-8.jpg

DSC_0260_stitch3-6-1.jpg
    the second one, love the colours in the sky and water,and would fit in alot more places in the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭Misa-san

I vote number 2. It's more unique. It's different. Has a great contemporary look to it - and pearjamfan is right, it would probably go in more rooms in the house.

The colours in the first are a little too strong I feel ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

From the last 2 I'd say number 2 wins hands down. It's easier on the eye and would suit a multitude of wall colours.
    The lights are just are too bright on number 1.

Advertisement