Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Audi A4 quattro TDi questions

• 09-03-2010 10:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭

My brother is toying with the idea of buying one of these,probably an 04/05/06 one,anyone have advice,experience of owning one,possible pitfalls?
    Thanks lads!:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Depends on the model, I'd steer clear of the 2.5TDi V6 as its supposed to be troublesome, and heavy on fuel, try to find a 1.9 as its way more economical and with a remap can get fairly close to the v6 power anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 seamy1

audi's are very low underneath....i hope you don't like where their grass growing in the middle of the road! might be saying goodbye to your sump! lovely car though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Its the 1.9 he'll be going for.Were these sold here new,or are they all imports?

And are they 60/40 split 4x4 or something along those lines??
    Iv already told him this sort of thing wouldnt be good for it....:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Make sure he looks at an RS4 TDI before anything. Now that's a car!;)

• Advertisement

VolvoMan wrote: »
    Sexy indeed! Insurance would beat him id say,hes 26..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

VolvoMan wrote: »
    Is anyone else sick of these rs4 tdi type posts and 'tiddly i' crap? Seriously its getting old at this stage. I dont drive an audi or a tdi by the way. Not having a go at you volvoman, just in general. Just seems anyone who asks about an a4 gets this standard reply and jokes about them being 'weapons' etc. Personally i've never heard the owner of any 130bhp car refer to it as a 'weapon', tdi or otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Usually a 50-50split AWD (4x4 implies something else). Can he not get the replacement for the 1.9TDI, the 2.0TDI in those years?
    Also an A6 quattro would also be an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

PaulKK wrote: »
    Personally i've never heard the owner of any 130bhp car refer to it as a 'weapon', tdi or otherwise.

I have

I have
    Good for you, i hope you corrected them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Good for you, i hope you corrected them.

One tried to tell me he his 1.9TDI had 230bhp before actually (as standard) :D

People are stupid. Some know nothing about cars but pretend they do. I dont know how that guy thought that, but I'm sure the majority of a4 tdi drivers do not think they drive weapons though. My first post still stands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Its the 1.9 he'll be going for.Were these sold here new,or are they all imports?

They were sold new here in the B5 model, but like most cars in Ireland at the time, anything more expensive than the base model was rarely bought.

In October 2004 the 1.9Tdi 115 was €37,400. The 130 was €39,400 and the quattro (only 130) was €42,600.

Very, very few people were prepared to blow an extra €2,200 for the quattro, especially as it was slower to 60 (by 0.1s I seem to remember) and had marginally worse fuel consumption.

Looking at those figures, I'm surprised people actually spent the extra €2,000 for the 130bhp model, but I know a few of those were sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

OP, I drive a 2.0TDI (170 bhp) A3 quattro. It's not an A4 but some of what I'm saying will apply. I've driven a 1.9 (105 bhp) A3 from work, quite a lot and have to say that I find the 1.9 to be sluggish and don't particularly like the 5-speed gearbox...the ratios don't feel right imo.

So taking that into account for an A3, you have to wonder if a 1.9 A4 is a great idea, especially a quattro as it's slightly heavier than a regular A4. In my view the 1.9 A4 has a lovely interior but I'd really re-consider whether it's worth buying. The gearbox ratios may be different (I don't know) but it's certainly heavier than an A3 and if that feels sluggish (to me) then the A4 will probably feel even more so.

When I say 'sluggish', I mean when it comes to overtaking, it'll take longer than you might think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭Shane732

Wow now that's a weapon.

Had he got 100 horses tied to the front of the car or something.

Tell you what I'll give him a drag race in a 1.6 Mini Cooper S JCW Stage 2. The Cooper puts out 220bhp and his 1.9 puts out 230bhp. He should easily beat me after all he has 10bhp and 0.3 TDI (!!) on me.

Idiots who go round oh it's a red D red I version. Are the different coloured letters better for the aerodynamics of the car or something?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Shane732 wrote: »
    Wow now that's a weapon.

Had he got 100 horses tied to the front of the car or something.

Tell you what I'll give him a drag race in a 1.6 Mini Cooper S JCW Stage 2. The Cooper puts out 220bhp and his 1.9 puts out 230bhp. He should easily beat me after all he has 10bhp and 0.3 TDI (!!) on me.

Idiots who go round oh it's a red D red I version. Are the different coloured letters better for the aerodynamics of the car or something?!

Same idiots who go around saying "it's a 1.6 Mini Cooper S JCW Stage 2".

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

JJJJNR wrote: »

;)

Can we drop this crap please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Personally i've never heard the owner of any 130bhp car refer to it as a 'weapon', tdi or otherwise.

It's not about the horsepower, it's the torque.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭Shane732

JJJJNR wrote: »

;)

The only reason I said JCW Stage 2 was because a normal Cooper S puts out about 170BHP, a JCW puts out 210BHP, and a JCW Stage 2 puts out 220BHP.

Three different models. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

The different coloured letters in the TDI range do denote different power outputs.

VE TDI:
    All silver - 90hp
    Red I - 110
    Red DI - 130

PD TDI
    All silver - 105
    Red I - 115
    Red DI - 150

Thats roughly it and I may be wrong but that is the jist of it.

Now with that cleared up, the lot of ye TDI bashers and TDI defenders kindly shush the ruddy hell up and answer the OP's question and RELATED questions.

I dont want to read about Minis for gods sake.

• Advertisement

bbk wrote: »

Now with that cleared up, the lot of ye TDI bashers and TDI defenders kindly shush the ruddy hell up and answer the OP's question and RELATED questions.

I dont want to read about Minis for gods sake.
    Thank you! Bit of a thread derailment there:p

Advertisement