Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Speed control

• 09-03-2010 11:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

I just failed my test second time and my mark sheet was full of marks for SPEED at turning left/ right / cross junction everywhere.

I tried to take all turn at 2nd gear.

Can someone suggest why i might have got these marking.

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

abkr wrote: »
    Hi,

I just failed my test second time and my mark sheet was full of marks for SPEED at turning left/ right / cross junction everywhere.

I tried to take all turn at 2nd gear.

Can someone suggest why i might have got these marking.

Thanks,

Do you have your test sheet?

Can you tell us what marks you got? i.e. 3 grade 2's for turning right etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

I assume you mean all the marks are in "Section 13 : Adjust Speed to Suit/On Approach" - is that correct ?

To be honest its not a very common fault area. However the most likely cause is that you were simply going too fast. Remember its not just about being in 2nd gear - you can still be going too fast.

I've only ever really experienced it once with a learner when on the first corner I felt the need to hold on to the car door or I would have ended up sitting with him in the drivers seat :) If the examiner had a sense of being thrown around the car as you cornered then he would certainly fault you.

Did you take any lessons ? Did the instructor mention anything about this being a problem with your driving ? Failing that, ask someone who has been a passenger for their objective view of your cornering speed (assuming that they way you drove on the test is your normal driving)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 abkr

My instructor mentioned that I need to be on brakes earlier and a bit harder. I got 2-3 points on foot brake as well.

During my test I came across few situations for which I was not prepared. Any advice..

1. It was junction from Breamer road to Lower dodder road.
    When I reached one of the junction for right hand turn which is marked with solid road marking 'chevrons ', I tried to slowed down and chagned the gear to 2nd.
    While engaging the clutch, I felt a jerk so that means I was over speed. Now can someone explain me the approach to take for these kind of junctions.
    As I tried to slowed down much, it would stop the taffic going straight and if not, I would get the point.

2. On Rathgar road, there was a cyclist on the BUS lane but almost at the edge of lane. I was driving behind him for some time and then decided to go past him. He was in the bus lane but still i indicate right and overtook him giving him plemnty of room. Just wondering if cyclist is inside the cycle or bus lane, do I need indicate right, move out and pass him or I could have just passed him slowly.

A

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭erwinvr101

just remember to change to second gear when your speed is 20 kph and below. above that your car will jerk as you have described.

you shouldn't have stayed behind the cyclist for some time. you should proceed but just give them enough clearance. i don't think testers like the idea of drivers slowing down (as in stepping on the brakes) as reaction to hazards. they would want you to step off the gas pedal and proceed, and only to break or stop only if necessary

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭erwinvr101

also, you don't have to signal right if you're not crossing the line on the middle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

erwinvr101 wrote: »
    i don't think testers like the idea of drivers slowing down (as in stepping on the brakes) as reaction to hazards. they would want you to step off the gas pedal and proceed, and only to break or stop only if necessary

This was a big problem for me for a long time (according to my instructor). I was told (because I was 'too fond of the brakes') to ease off, and gear down if necessary without braking. He said it should (hopefully) set me straight on progress and reaction to hazards.

Advertisement