Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Relief - non resident landlord

Options
  • 09-03-2010 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hey All,

Our landlord is non resident now due to this we pay our rent to a collection agent i.e his mother and this fact is noted in the lease

My question is when claiming rent relief who's PPS number should i put down on the rent relief form landlord or collection agent

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

you donjt have to put a pps number down. if you leave it blank you still get the rent relief

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

OP maybe does not realise that the rent relief payments are made to the tenant directly, not to the landlord.

You pay rent just as usual.

The forms make that clear, and they will need the landlord's signature and confirmation of how much the rent is of course.

Is that what was worrying you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Graces7 wrote: »
    OP maybe does not realise that the rent relief payments are made to the tenant directly, not to the landlord.

You pay rent just as usual.

The forms make that clear, and they will need the landlord's signature and confirmation of how much the rent is of course.

Is that what was worrying you?
    You (or the OP) is confusing Rent Relief (smallish amount of tax relief on your PAYE income) with Rent Allowance (a Social Welfare payment to cover rent). For the first one, the landlord doesn't need to supply any information or cooperate in any way

• Registered Users Posts: 27 iahavenoname

Hi yeah its the rent relief (small bit of PAYE that you get back), basically i want to know who i put down as the landlord the actual landlord or the collection agent i.e. his mother

In the lease it list the landlord as well the landlord :) and that rent is payable to his collection agent (i.e. his mother) this is due to the fact that he is non resident.

it would be nice to ring revenue about this but the number for this is not being manned due to industrial action

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Hi yeah its the rent relief (small bit of PAYE that you get back), basically i want to know who i put down as the landlord the actual landlord or the collection agent i.e. his mother

In the lease it list the landlord as well the landlord :) and that rent is payable to his collection agent (i.e. his mother) this is due to the fact that he is non resident.

it would be nice to ring revenue about this but the number for this is not being manned due to industrial action

The number is manned today until 1PM.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

landlords PPS number goes down, dont forget to withhold 20% of the rent for stamp duty.
    his mother is just the agent.

http://www.let.ie/articles/revenue-guide

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

subway wrote: »
    landlords PPS number goes down, dont forget to withhold 20% of the rent for stamp duty.
    his mother is just the agent.

http://www.let.ie/articles/revenue-guide

Unless his agent is properly registered as an agent with Revenue- in which case rent is paid as usual. Unfortunately- its up to the tenant to find this out.......

Advertisement