Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Priest 'saddened' by Good Friday Drinking Bid

Options
  • 10-03-2010 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

The horrible story of St. Pioneers Sorrow is here.

- Pious folk like that would be better off ditching their Redemptoristic Halloween Costumes and going out raising compensation monies for the Victims of their Church's centuries of abuse in my opinion.

That's before even mentioning the Limerick Redemptorists famed Pogrom.

What saddens me is their anachronistic stronghold within our City where they preach hypocritically to their 15 regulars while all the time counting down the days to their Novena - a veritable Sideshow Carnival of rampant, greedy fundraising, siphoning money from those who don't know any better.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Amen to that! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

exactly. molesting kids is ok but drinking when a game is on is a game is on no

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

I stopped caring what they think a long time ago. Now, if only we could remove their influence they have on our society. Thankfully that is one of the few reasons they are still discussed today.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Jambo221

Raiser wrote: »
    - Pious folk like that would be better off ditching their Redemptoristic Halloween Costumes and going out raising compensation monies for the Victims of their Church's centuries of abuse in my opinion.
    Icky Thump wrote: »
    exactly. molesting kids is ok but drinking when a game is on is a game is on no

Why does any topic involving any member of the church have to instantly revert to a discussion on abuse. The points made could have been made by a lay person campaigning for the same things, does it make his point any less valid because he's a priest??

My opinion of Good Friday is simply that it should be treated like Ash Wednesday, alcohol should remain for sale but the onus should be on the person of the faith not to drink on the day, simple as.

Also, to be fair, who actually organized for the match to be played on that day? Was it a blunder? Or a clever ruse to eventually have the law changed? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Jambo221 wrote: »
    Why does any topic involving any member of the church have to instantly revert to a discussion on abuse. The points made could have been made by a lay person campaigning for the same things, does it make his point any less valid because he's a priest??
    Yes, it's very hard to take a representative of a organization that shields child molesters with any respect. Everything they say and everything they do is to be treated with the same respect they gave to the children entrusted to their care.
    My opinion of Good Friday is simply that it should be treated like Ash Wednesday, alcohol should remain for sale but the onus should be on the person of the faith not to drink on the day, simple as.
    Exactly, why should Catholic Canon Law be enshrined in Irish Law? It is discriminatory to all Irish non-Catholics. Church, all churches, and State should not be connected in any way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Also, to be fair, who actually organized for the match to be played on that day? Was it a blunder? Or a clever ruse to eventually have the law changed? ;)

+1 it seems there is an inability for society or boards to distinguish between the truth and wrong. yes some of the priest hood has been very wrong but drinking on good friday is wrong and has been since the time of christ

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I for one hope the Munster bandwagon doesnt get its own way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

+1 it seems there is an inability for society or boards to distinguish between the truth and wrong. yes some of the priest hood has been very wrong but drinking on good friday is wrong and has been since the time of christ[/QUOTE

Says who?

Balagan wrote: »
    +1 it seems there is an inability for society or boards to distinguish between the truth and wrong. yes some of the priest hood has been very wrong but drinking on good friday is wrong and has been since the time of christ[/QUOTE

Says who?

Learn the bible....oh i guess you dont believe it.... enough said.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

+1 it seems there is an inability for society or boards to distinguish between the truth and wrong. yes some of the priest hood has been very wrong but drinking on good friday is wrong and has been since the time of christ

The notion of right and wrong as delivered from the pages of the weird, wonderful and utterly psychedelic book that is the Bible seems to have been producing poor results amongst the Devout and particularly 'Faithful' recently now hasn't it?

Tell me when exactly did the Catholic Church decide that the Bibles clear and explicitly defined instruction that a menstruating Woman should not be seen in public become relaxed? Was it when Women as 51% of the Global Population and Mothers to every Church Superstar to ever wear a miniature Purple Hat and carry a Gold Wizards Staff got an active role in the Church?

- I grant you that certain People in a rapidly dwindling minority with a high representation in the 80+ age bracket hold the archaic belief that drinking on the shifting nonsensical day in the calendar year that ye familiarly describe as 'Good Friday' is wrong. But can I ask you do you observe the detailed religious observances of the Islamic faith or any other faith than your own? I can't imagine you'd let the occurrence of Ramadan change your habits? So why do you expect modern enlightened young People to observe the details of a faith other than their own????

Let it be known that vast numbers in Irish Society are so sickened by your Church that the very mention of your religious festivals invites 30 minute discussions on the evil, the inadmission, the cover ups, the hypocrisy, the requests for compensation money and conjecture on when the whole lot will collapse back into the Dark Ages..........

• Advertisement

Raiser wrote: »
    The notion of right and wrong as delivered from the pages of the weird, wonderful and utterly psychedelic book that is the Bible seems to have been producing poor results amongst the Devout and particularly 'Faithful' recently now hasn't it?

Tell me when exactly did the Catholic Church decide that the Bibles clear and explicitly defined instruction that a menstruating Woman should not be seen in public become relaxed? Was it when they got an active role in the Church?

- I grant you that certain People in a rapidly dwindling minority with a high representation in the 80+ age bracket hold the archaic belief that drinking on the shifting nonsensical day in the calendar year that ye familiarly describe as 'Good Friday' is wrong. But can I ask you do you observe the detailed religious observances of the Islamic faith or any other faith than your own? I can't imagine you'd let the occurrence of Ramadan change your habits? So why do you expect Modern enlightened young People to observe the details of a faith other than their own????

Let it be known that vast numbers in Irish Society are so sickened by your Church that the very mention of your religious festivals invites 30 minute discussions on the evil, the inadmission, the cover ups, the hypocrisy, the requests for compensation money and conjecture on when the whole lot will collapse back into the Dark Ages..........

So what this translates into in its entire notion is you dont agree with my faith... The catholic faith and then presume to tell me why its wrong because of what a few priests done

Thanks for wasteing my time. You should have posted in afterhours. Then we could all make a laugh of the daftness of your anaylsis...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Jambo221

Actually, I'm atheist and you agreed with my point, a person's faith should have no effect on the validity of any of their points, you've basically contradicted yourself.

Drinking on Good Friday isn't immoral.

1In teh beginning, Invisible Man make univerz. 2Invisible Earth was invisible. 3Invisible Man say, “I can has light.” Gotz light. 4Light iz good, iz not dark. 5Invisible Man can has day and nite. It be furst.

6Invisible Man can has expanz. 7Below expanz iz water. It happen. 8Above expanz he call ’sky’. It get dark, then lite: nex day.

9Invisible Man can has water over here, no water over ther. It happen. 10Not water iz ‘land’. Water iz ’seas’. Iz good.

11Invisible Man say, “I can has vegitashun.” It happen. 12Land has lots vegitashun, all kindz. Iz good. 13It get dark, then light again: day tree.

14Invisible Man say, “I can has big lite in day, small light in nite.” 15Teh Earth gots light. It happen. 16Invisible Man make big lite in day, small light in nite. He make starz, too. 17They go in sky. 18It good. 19It get dark again, then lite: day fore.

20Invisible Man say, “I can has fish n’ birdz.” 21Fish go in water, birdz go in sky. It good. 22Invisible Man say, “make lots little fish and little birdz. Fish make fish in water; birdz make birdz in air.” 23It get dark again, then lite: day fife.

24Invisible Man say, “I can has aminulz.” It happen. 25Invisible Man make kitteh n’ cowz n’ snakes n’ stuff. Iz good.

26Invisible Man say, “I can has man that look like me.” He rulez. 27Invisible Man make man like him, boy and gurl. 28Invisible Man tell man, “ur in mai Earth, pwnz0rz mai aminulz.” 29And u eats fruitz. 30Aminulz eat greenz.

31Invisible Man saws creayshunz: iz good. It get dark, then lite: day sicks.

2Teh heavenz n’ teh Earth wur done. 2Invisible Man finish on day sevn. He rest: Caturday! 3Invisible Man make Caturday holy ‘cuz he no work.

Adam n Eve

4This wuz how teh Heaven n teh Earth wuz made. When Invisible Man creat dem, 5ther wuz no plantz cuz ther wuz no rain n no man. 6Then water cames. 7Invisible Man make man from durt. He breath on man. Man can has life.

8Invisible Man can has Garden o Eden. Man goes in Garden. 9Invisible Man made treez that look purty n taste yummy. Garden can has in middle, good tree n bad tree.

10A river goes out of Garden fore wayz. 11One way iz Pishon: it go thru Havilah, land o gold. 12(Gold iz good. Ther iz pearlz n onyx, too.) 13Two way is Gihon: it go thru Cush. 14Tree way is Tigris: it go bai Asshur. Fore way is Euphrates.

15Invisible Man put man in Garden o Eden to wurk ther. 16Invisible Man say, “u can eats from any tree—17but not good-bad tree ‘cuz u will has death.”

18Invisible Man say, “Iz not good for man to be ‘lone. I make helpur.”

19Invisible Man made kittehs n birdz. He take aminulz to man so man can name dem. What man call aminulz, that wuz name. 20Man name cowz n birdz n kitteh, but he not have helpur. 21Invisible Man make man tired. When man sleepy, Invisible Man took rib and put in meat. 22Den, Invisible Man make woman outta man-rib, and he take her to man.

23Man say, “Dis is bone from my bone and meat from my meat; she can has name ‘woman’ cuz she come outta man.” 24That why boy leave mom n dad to get merried. They can has one.

25Man and woman wur both nekkid, but has no shame. (Lulz)

Nope, nothing about drinking on Good Friday there. Was there more of this facinating story?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

Alcohol is sold in Rome on Good Friday, isn't it? So why not in Ireland? And anyway, aren't we supposed to be a republic?

• Moderators Posts: 51,779 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

+1 it seems there is an inability for society or boards to distinguish between the truth and wrong. yes some of the priest hood has been very wrong but it is my belief drinking on good friday is wrong and has been since the time of christ

FYP

And if you don't want to drink on Good Friday, surely it would be a better test to resist temptation rather than have a government remove the temptation.

Not everyone in Ireland is Catholic, so why should they have to have a religious day of fasting imposed on them.

If you can read this, you're too close!

So what this translates into in its entire notion is you dont agree with my faith... The catholic faith and then presume to tell me why its wrong because of what a few priests done

Thanks for wasteing my time. You should have posted in afterhours. Then we could all make a laugh of the daftness of your anaylsis...:rolleyes:

None of the above bears any relation to my post; That was a weak attempt at distraction from the facts.....

You came on here advising People in a multi-denominational, enlightened,modern and free Society to go and learn the collection of hallucinogenic and utterly bizarre tales that is the Bible.

You came on here professing that drinking on Good Friday is wrong but providing no actual grounds as to why any Irish Person or People from any other Nationality, or holding any of the countless other religious faiths should be dictated to by one particularly offensive branch of Christianity in our midst.

For you to describe Institutional abuse in this Country after 4 State Enquiries and the revelations of the abuses, evils and horrors visited upon the Churchs Victims by the Animals involved as "what a few Priests done" is, in my opinion, morally wrong.

- How dare you belittle such a grave crime against so many just to suit your habits and beliefs and strengthen your argument in an online discussion. Doesn't the religious teaching you have chosen to follow have a stance on casually explaining away, and downsizing the scale of Centuries of Child sexual and physical abuse as a minor inconvenience?

Wouldn't God be more disgusted at People turning their back on those People than if they had a pint on the day known commonly as 'Good Friday'?

Doesn't God care about anything other than Church Collections, seeing the Clergy live in decadence and Old Men dressed up in Costumes kissing each others rings?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

To be honest I dont give a toss about the match nor to I give a toss about the publicans of Limerick, neither do whomever organised the match for this day - its obvious they were trying to ensure one of the few places you could get booze that day was the stadium itself hence increasing revenue.
    Obviously theres people throwing out the aul lines of we're not all catholics so its desciminatory etc and we should make our own minds up and the priests are all a bunch of buggers but heres what, in my opinion, it boils down to.
    If this law is rolled back and pubs can open etc we must also consider that other church holidays, of which there is "benefit" for the entire population could also come under scurtiny.
    St Patricks day, where the majority get the day off work, Christmas Day, even good friday where some get the day of work.

If we had proper and decent licensing laws we'd probably have a situation where pubs could open when they wanted, all year round, but we don't sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

St Patricks day is a national holiday, but why indeed should Christmas Day be a holiday?

To celebrate the Winter Solstice of course. The turning point in the natural calendar, well at least that's what it was before the the Late JC's PR Machine got their hooks in it.

mike kelly wrote: »
    St Patricks day is a national holiday, but why indeed should Christmas Day be a holiday?

A long long time ago in a Stable just South East of the Town of Bethlehem, so the Holy Bible says, Mary Laboured intensively for many hours until a great gift was shown to the World laying beautifully in a Manger - Proudly she stood back and revealed a Golden Brown Oven-roasted Turkey and 12 Cans of Carling.....

- While I appreciate your point; I can't see these days ever being taken from us - we are in fact owed countless hours back in repayment for religious education is our Schools (Utter nonsense delivered by hand-wringing Dopes), time spent at Mass (Utter nonsense delivered by hand-wringing, ordained Dopes) etc. etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Balagan wrote: »

Ah, come on, stick to the discussion!

Are you saying that in The Bible there is a passage on which you have based your statement "drinking on good friday is wrong and has been since the time of christ"?

If that is what you are saying, could you quote the passage please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

As our Lord hung on the cross he turned to the romans underneath him, asking for "a sup from the flask" from the flask......
    when they refused, he laid a blanket ban, if i cant have a sup on the day of my death.....no one can.......... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Why exactly is it wrong to buy drink on Gay Friday? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

koth wrote: »
    FYP

And if you don't want to drink on Good Friday, surely it would be a better test to resist temptation rather than have a government remove the temptation.

Not everyone in Ireland is Catholic, so why should they have to have a religious day of fasting imposed on them.

+1

couldnt agree with you more tbh
    Although the off licences will be annoyed as the thursday before good friday is probably their biggest sales day of the year!

Max Power1 wrote: »
    +1

couldnt agree with you more tbh
    Although the off licences will be annoyed as the thursday before good friday is probably their biggest sales day of the year!
    Do people like the religious days off? The religious sunday? All days when the majority dont work?

I think it says what a sorry lot we are (religious views aside) that we cant accept public houses being closed on two days of the year.............

kippy wrote: »
    Do people like the religious days off? The religious sunday? All days when the majority dont work?

I think it says what a sorry lot we are (religious views aside) that we cant accept public houses being closed on two days of the year.............

That argument doesn't add up? Does it? Is their some historical, religiously derived reason why Saturday and Sunday are omitted from the traditional business working week?

- I think its missing the point and misleading People to suggest or insist that its about the 2 days of the Year - Its more about having religious belief forced upon People who are sick and tired of the Church, its stains on our Society and the high regard in which they seem to hold what a growing majority consider to be their nonsensical, hypocritical, self-serving, outdated, dangerous, blind, illogical, sexist, misogynistic, small-minded, profiteering beliefs.

I'd prefer at this stage to see the Pubs closed for 2 weeks under the instructions of the Taliban than to have People like our Shamed Bishops influence our daily lives with their pathetic staged righteousness.

When are the Church going to introduce a day to mark their own abuses of the defenceless in their care - Perhaps on that day insincere piety, piousness and rampant hypocrisy should be banned?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I think it's more the fact that people don't have the option to go. If we have the option to walk into a butchers on Ash Wednesday, how is it we can't walk into a pub on Good Friday?

I personally don't care about not having a drink even though I have a ticket for the game. What will be missed is the banter around town that night as it is one of the more enjoyable nights of the year with a good atmosphere. I think this is what is angering a lot of people.

And regarding the fixture itself, and some peoples ridiculous and clueless notions that it's all a money making ploy by Thomond Park etc.......Munster and Leinster both have their European cup Quarter Finals the following weekend. This game is on Friday so it gives both teams an extra days rest.

• Moderators Posts: 51,779 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Why? A lot of social events happen in pubs. Nearly all gigs I go to would be in a pub, unless I travel to Dublin.

Most weekends I don't go to a pub, but thats because I choose not to. But if the mood takes me on Good Friday, I can't because of someone else religious beliefs.

If you can read this, you're too close!

In response to the last three posts.........
    1. Again, theres a lot of anger towards the catholic church - fair enough - it is justified however there were many good priests and clergy members through out the years that had a heavy involvement in the education system of this country. I wouldnt like for the church to drop all involvement in the education system - for a start education would cost a damn sight more.
    Also, I would be very careful in tarring the whole clergy with the same brush. Not all of the knew what was going on and helped cover it up. Dare we tar them all in the same was as those not from Ireland tar all of us with the same brush.
    2. While many may not be catholic we really do have to be careful about becoming a country where we lose our identity. Public houses being closed two days of the year is a very (positive) Irish thing.

I've said all I want to on this to be honest and have pretty much the same comments every year about the same issue on this board.
    I am by no means a devout catholic but I personally have zero problems with pubs closed two days in the year. You can still drink as much as you want on that day and fixture organisers should be more aware of the issue.

• Advertisement

koth wrote: »

Most weekends I don't go to a pub, but thats because I choose not to. But if the mood takes me on Good Friday, I can't because of someone else religious beliefs.
    You cant do a large number of things in this country or indeed many countries because of someone elses religious beliefs.......

Advertisement