Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Priest 'saddened' by Good Friday Drinking Bid

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

+1 it seems there is an inability for society or boards to distinguish between the truth and wrong. yes some of the priest hood has been very wrong but drinking on good friday is wrong and has been since the time of christ

Can you qoute the passage that states this in the bible? I take it you'll be fasting all day Good Friday then as well as its considered a day of fasting by the catholic church, not just meat and alchohol?

• Moderators Posts: 51,779 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

kippy wrote: »
    You cant do a large number of things in this country or indeed many countries because of someone elses religious beliefs.......

Which if it's something thats legal in the country every other day of the week is just wrong.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I'm all for indivduals to have the choice to purchase/consume alcohol on good Friday but it will sum up Ireland nicely if the law finally gets changed to suit some egg chasing bandwagon hopping event junkies :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Everyone should know by now that Easters true meaning is that a giant bunnyrabbit left us chocolate eggs during the night, which when you think about it is as plausible as a guy coming back to life after being in a cave for three days and flying back to Krypton

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

koth wrote: »
    Which if it's something thats legal in the country every other day of the week is just wrong.

There are certain aspects of the public house opening hours which are different depending on what day of the week it is......
    Theres probably a lot of things wrong in your eyes which may be right in many other peoples eyes.
    Again, theres no reason to change the status quo based on that fact alone.

• Advertisement

There are certain aspects of the public house opening hours which are different depending on what day of the week it is......
    Agreed, but generally opening hours on one Tuesday is the same as the next.
    Theres probably a lot of things wrong in your eyes which may be right in many other peoples eyes.
    Again, theres no reason to change the status quo based on that fact alone.
    Of course, plenty of people can have opposing views.

I'd say theres no reason to maintain the status quo. Observing a religions day of fasting is for members of the religion to decide, not a government.

For example, I can work on a Sunday if I choose. The government doesn't stop me from ignoring that catholic rule, why should good Friday be any different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Do people like the religious days off? The religious sunday? All days when the majority dont work?

I think it says what a sorry lot we are (religious views aside) that we cant accept public houses being closed on two days of the year.............
    I work every sunday, as do many people. If you are catholic and dont want to drink on good friday then dont. Dont let your religious beliefs interfere with the freedom of all non catholics!

Agreed, but generally opening hours on one Tuesday is the same as the next.

Of course, plenty of people can have opposing views.

I'd say theres no reason to maintain the status quo. Observing a religions day of fasting is for members of the religion to decide, not a government.

For example, I can work on a Sunday if I choose. The government doesn't stop me from ignoring that catholic rule, why should good Friday be any different?

Pick a Sunday instead and thats not necessarily the case.

The government stops you from ignoring other Catholic rules however.

Max Power1 wrote: »
    I work every sunday, as do many people. If you are catholic and dont want to drink on good friday then dont. Dont let your religious beliefs interfere with the freedom of all non catholics!

Listen, being able to drink in a public house on Good Friday is not a fundamental human right - so lets not make it out to be.

Pick a Sunday instead and thats not necessarily the case.
    I'll take your word for it, generally have to be up early on Mondays;)
    The government stops you from ignoring other Catholic rules however.
    Such as? Any chance of some examples?

• Advertisement

I'll take your word for it, generally have to be up early on Mondays;)

Such as? Any chance of some examples?

You obviosuly dont go out the Sundays before a bank Holiday monday either..........

1. Abortion.
    2. Monogomy.
    As two rough and ready examples.

You obviosuly dont go out the Sundays before a bank Holiday monday either..........
    Or I don't stay until kicking out time;)
    1. Abortion.
    2. Monogomy.
    As two rough and ready examples.

I'll conceed the point on abortion, however the government doesn't stop me from have multiple partners. I just can't marry them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Craptacular

Enough with this religious nonsense. Drinking on Good Friday and working on Easter Monday please.

Or I don't stay until kicking out time;)

I'll conceed the point on abortion, however the government doesn't stop me from have multiple partners. I just can't marry them all.

Sorry, I was leaning towards the "cant marry more than one person thing" but didnt have a rough and ready word for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

The Irish people are the reason abortion is illegal in Ireland. There was a referendum. Now I'm not saying the Catholic Church didn't heavily influence the voters but it's not comparing like with like - Irish people didn't vote to have the pubs closed on Good Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

The catholic church has been an all powerful, unregualted, self proffiting organisation for hundreds of years within most countries. It might have started off good but at this stage its f**ked. Corruption and coverups throughout and going to the very top. Does the pope need a gold palace in rome? Is that a requirement in the bible?

It has no place controlling society in the modern world. It should be optional in every regard. If you choose to follow any aspect of it, be my guest but don't tell me I can't have a pint cause some old guy in rome sitting on a gold toilet says so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

drinking on good friday is wrong and has been since the time of christ

And nobody is forcing you or other adherents to drink on Good Friday if you don't want to. However, you have no right to use the power of the State to prevent non-christians such as myself from drinking on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

While many may not be catholic we really do have to be careful about becoming a country where we lose our identity. Public houses being closed two days of the year is a very (positive) Irish thing.

You are saying two different things here. Are pubs closed because it's a Catholic thing or an Irish thing? Bars are open in Spain, which is a Catholic country, and you can buy alcohol in shops.

And I fail to see how Irish identity would collapse by pubs being open. As others have said, observant Catholics can choose not to drink on that day if it's that important. Restaurants offer meat dishes on Fridays during Lent; why not alcohol on Good Friday? Why does the state have to dictate what people can or cannot do, based on religious custom (which isn't even shared by people of the same religion)?

The power of the State isn't stopping you from drinking alchol - it is stopping other people from selling it to you :D

Joking aside, it is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Debating aside, has anything been announced as to whether the pubs will be open in Limerick on 'Good Friday'?

In Limerick, Rugby is bigger than Jesus and Thomond Park is the place of worship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Psalm 37:

12 The wicked plot against the righteous
    and gnash their teeth at them;

13 but the Lord laughs at the wicked,
    for he knows their day is coming.

The interesting thing now will be how to determine who the 'Wicked' are......

Are they the People who work hard, raise their Children well, instilling decent morals and teaching the difference between right and wrong - but who also just so happen to have shunned the Church in utter disgust?

Or are the 'Wicked' the blindly indoctrinated who are loathe to abandon their Lifetime Membership of the most twisted Religious Club around? - The ones who don't care who was abused 'cause they got their selfish sights fixed on a shot at "Heaven"?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

oops

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Debating aside, has anything been announced as to whether the pubs will be open in Limerick on 'Good Friday'?

In Limerick, Rugby is bigger than Jesus and Thomond Park is the place of worship.

Oh Jesus! You're going to be crucified for that! I think you nailed it personally, but it'll be a crown of thorns to some folk out there, and after three days you'll be bound to cave in, especially as this thread is likely to be resurrected time and time again :(

Raiser wrote: »
    Oh Jesus! You're going to be crucified for that! I think you nailed it personally, but it'll be a crown of thorns to some folk out there, and after three days you'll be bound to cave in, especially as this thread is likely to be resurrected time and time again :(

This thread?

Theres been at least one and possibly 17 threads annually on board about good friday for as long as I can remember.

Listen, being able to drink in a public house on Good Friday is not a fundamental human right - so lets not make it out to be.
    Never said it was. Point to where I said that?

Its just a case of religious beliefs of some, being integrated into the laws of the land for all that I disagree with.

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Never said it was. Point to where I said that?

Its just a case of religious beliefs of some, being integrated into the laws of the land for all that I disagree with.

You didnt say that, I was just point out that it wasnt a human right.......etc.
    If you analyse our laws and indeed the laws of other countries you'll find that religious believes have at least SOME impact on them.

....and these should be minimised

You didnt say that, I was just point out that it wasnt a human right.......etc.
    If you analyse our laws and indeed the laws of other countries you'll find that religious believes have at least SOME impact on them.
    See below
    concussion wrote: »
    ....and these should be minimised

I get the message.
    Minimise laws which are there as a result of religious influence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Sure wasn't Jesus only happy to turn the water into wine so everyone could have a piss-up?

Advertisement