Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone help

Options
  • 10-03-2010 12:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi, I'm from the uk and looking for help with a Korean translation to help convey some information to a Korean artist. The phrase I'm looking to translate into Korean is "the spirit-stirring drum" which is a line from Shakespeare's Othello. The phrase attempts to convey how the beating of a drum would inspire and motivate a soldier to fight in wars going back hundreds of years ago.

The korean artist can speak some English but I'm trying to convey a feeling or an emotion to her so she can infuse her work with this emotion.

Hopefully someone will be able to help. I'm sorry i can't give anything in return other than my sincere gratitude.

Many thanks in advance,
    Ian Jonas.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

Hi, I'm from the uk and looking for help with a Korean translation to help convey some information to a Korean artist. The phrase I'm looking to translate into Korean is "the spirit-stirring drum" which is a line from Shakespeare's Othello.

Doubt very much your going to be able to get a direct translation for that.

Forget about translating the Shakespearan phrase and ask for people to translate "the beating of a drum would inspire and motivate a soldier to fight in wars going back hundreds of years ago."

Actually forget the translation, just show her this. Koreans start banging their drums on their way to kick the **** out of the Japanese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Godofthunder24

Thanks, I think maybe the phrase is too concise to be translated directly without some meaning being lost so your suggestion sounds good

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Terrlock

In the record of the History of the Three Kingdoms by Kim Pu-sik

this passage on this young Hwarang called Kwanch'ang from Silla kingdom
    who fought against the Paekche army.
    His father said of him "You are young, but you have spirit"
    지기(will and spirit)는 자못 용맹하니 (inspired with courasge and valourous)

Kwanch'ang is taken prisoner then released.
    He goes again to the front and is caught by the Paekche general who behads him and sent back his head to Silla.
    The spirit of Kwanch'ang inspires the Silla army who renews its determination.
    Before they go to battle there is this passage:

The three armies were moved by this (the sacrifice of Kwanch'ang) and strengthened their resolve.
    Beating drums and shouting war cries, they charged the enemy lines...
    북을 지고 고함을 지르며 진격하니....
    beating the drum.... 북을 지고

hope this helps

Advertisement