Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking up chemistry in 3rd term of 5th year

Options
  • 10-03-2010 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

Is there any chem students that could explain how possible this would be, like how long is the course, how difficult would it be to do on my own, or is it even a good idea at all.

I talked to my biology teacher about it and he said that I should ask some students doing the course about it as they would have a better idea of what i would face than he would.

I cant do chem in school because i would be the only student doing it so I would have to basiclly go solo with the odd bit of private tuition if needed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Tough but not impossible. The course itself isn't very long but some of the concepts are very hard to grasp from just reading a book. But if you worked from now through 6th year (And did plenty of work for chemistry during the summer) you should be able for it. But you will not be able to do it on your own and i'm fairly certain that that's the case for anyone.

The experiments can be an issue though. Although a lot of the experiments are very similar they won't be easy to answer a question on unless you have experience of either watching or doing the experiment.

Edit: Like jumpguy said in the next post, I wouldn't attempt chemistry unless you needed it for university. Even at that, you are going to have to put in a serious amount of work before June 2011. IMO, It's the most difficult of the three science subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

With a LOAD of word over the summer included, I reckon you'll be able to do it. But I hope you're very motivated. Out of curiosity, why d'you wanna do it now?

Speaking for myself (every teacher teachs a course in a different order), we've covered quite alot now. I defo would not like to be trying to do it without a teacher for SOME sections, other's are okay. Some of the practical experiments are better done, you don't have to do 'em, just know them for the exam though.

If you're willing to start working immediately, and put in alot of work over the summer, well of course you can do it! :) Anyone can, but it is rather late. I'd only do it if it was a nessicessity at this stage. I definetly wouldn't think it's a good idea doing it on my own, some of the ideas are best explained by a teacher.

How long is the course? Shorter than biology (which is very long), but still enough to cover.

How difficult would it be alone? Depending on your commitment, mind for science, and just how well you grasp things, that varies. But I'd say quite difficult.

Is it a good idea? Alot of work will need to be done, and over the summer. I'd only do it if it was nessicary for your course.

How possible would this be? Well, anything's possible if you put your mind to it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

I think you'll need a teacher to sign off that you've done the experiments before you even sit the exam so you should definitely look into that before picking up a book.

Hmm, in terms of on your own? It's doable. Very tough. But doable. Some of the concepts require more than what's in the book, that's what I found at least. Like for example, I remember reading ahead, and there was just this one definition which didn't make sense to me (energy level, if you're interested) but when a teacher explained it, it was very straight forward.

Of all the three sciences, I'd say chem is the most rewarding (it's a bit like a jigsaw), but also definitely the toughest to teach yourself. Don't waste your time unless you desperately need it.

If you're in anyway mathematical, I'd recommend app maths. Straight forward exam with shit loads of choice and requires minimal study. You could easily do it on your own in 6th year.

Whatever you pick, make sure it's in your best interest. Don't be one of those gobshites who does 12 subjects at higher level because they're such geniuses yet walk out of the exams with a solid 300 points, even though they were certain of at least 1190.

Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Moshimoshi

I think it is possible to teach yourself chemistry, but it might be difficult to start off by yourself. I have taught myself most of the chem course and find it the easiest subject I do, although I initially had a teacher. Chemistry is definitely a subject where knowledge builds upon itself and if you don't have the fundamental concepts understood, you won't really be able to advance at all. So maybe it would be a good idea to get a grind for the first while at least.

I don't think it's too much pressure to take it up now, as long as you put the work in now and definitely over the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

I know someone who took it up after Halloween of 6th year and got a b3 in the pres. Didn't get grinds or anything just a smart chap. So yeah, it's easily possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

Well as for experiments im sure that I could convince my principal ( whos also the chem teacher) to squeeze me in for a few classes throughout the year to do the experiments. I would certainly get some grinds if i felt i was struggling with the course.

The main reason i want to do it is I feel that I have a much higher potential to get a high grade in a science subject than french or english as i grasp science much easier than languages if its even harder than biology i could probably still get an B1 at worst. Obviously i would keep french on but it just wouldnt be used for points if I do a good chem paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Teutorix wrote: »
    Well as for experiments im sure that I could convince my principal ( whos also the chem teacher) to squeeze me in for a few classes throughout the year to do the experiments. I would certainly get some grinds if i felt i was struggling with the course.

The main reason i want to do it is I feel that I have a much higher potential to get a high grade in a science subject than french or english as i grasp science much easier than languages if its even harder than biology i could probably still get an B1 at worst. Obviously i would keep french on but it just wouldnt be used for points if I do a good chem paper.
    It's far more difficult than biology imo. Biology at LC is more rote learning than anything. Chemistry is a whole other kettle of fish. If you're interested in science and/or are good at science than you shouldn't have that many difficulties. Good luck anyway.

As I said, I'd only do it if it is a nessecisity, but sure, if you wanna you can give it a try, you don't HAVE to do the exam, the only thing is you'll have wasted time.

Have you considered physics?
    It's far more difficult than biology imo. Biology at LC is more rote learning than anything. Chemistry is a whole other kettle of fish. If you're interested in science and/or are good at science than you shouldn't have that many difficulties. Good luck anyway.
    That's true, however, the chemistry exam is far more easier to prepare for than the biology exam imo!

Well chemistry would be better than physics as most of the degree courses im interested in are in the feild of chemistry/biochem/biomedecine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

Physics is a lot harder than chemistry in my opinion. Some of the calculations you do in physics can be quite tough and require a real understanding of the topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Is there any chem students that could explain how possible this would be, like how long is the course, how difficult would it be to do on my own, or is it even a good idea at all.

I talked to my biology teacher about it and he said that I should ask some students doing the course about it as they would have a better idea of what i would face than he would.

I cant do chem in school because i would be the only student doing it so I would have to basiclly go solo with the odd bit of private tuition if needed.

Go for it! I'm in 6th year and I decided to take it up at the start of this year for Trinity medicine maltriculation. I don't do it in school, I just have a grind for an hour a week to go through the stuff with me. I don't actually do THAT much study on it as people are implying you'd have to... It's really fun and interesting and I love it! I managed to get a C1 in the mocks a couple of weeks ago, but I've stepped up my game a bit so hopefully I'll be able to get a higher grade in the LC... Anyway, I was like you, I did biology and then took it up and there are some links between the two. Also, if you're only in 5th year then you're grand! Just I'd recommend getting a grind, even if only for the first couple of weeks.

Well chemistry would be better than physics as most of the degree courses im interested in are in the feild of chemistry/biochem/biomedecine.
    Yeah if you're interested in them it's probably worth it alright. It might even be a requirement for some subjects (you'd have to check that up though). If you are, best of luck with it! On the bright side, it's a shorter course than biology and the exam is apparently easier to prepare for. Try and get some grinds and stuff to understand the more difficult concepts. You sound like you're determined and best of luck with it. :)
    Physics is a lot harder than chemistry in my opinion. Some of the calculations you do in physics can be quite tough and require a real understanding of the topic.
    I think physics is grand, easier than chemistry for alot of it (but not all of it). Just my opinion though, I love the maths in it.

Ok thanks for all the helpfull advice, I'm pretty much set on it now.

One more thing, what books are commonly used and which would you recommend (with higher level in mind)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

One more thing, what books are commonly used and which would you recommend (with higher level in mind)?

Chemistry Live by Declan Kennedy, and I think a workbook comes with that but we don't use it! It would be a good idea to get the exam papers now, and have a quick look over the layout of the papers and accustom yourself to the type of questions asked. I think it would be a worthwhile investment if you bought a revision book on chemistry-I would recommend Revise Wise. It's a good revision aid!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Moshimoshi

I think most students use Chemistry Live. I recommend getting the Rapid Revision chemistry book too, it is written to accompany Chemistry Live, so they complement each other well. There's loads of stuff online too. I like this guy's videos.

Advertisement