Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

sick peter chapman

• 10-03-2010 12:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭

hi just reading about this sicko peter chapman(33),he was pretending to be a 17yr old boy and he persuaded a 17yr old girl on facebook to meet him,and then he raped and killed her, its pretty sick alright and so sad, but im wondering what peoples reaction is to this regarding safety online, would you meet someone from facebook? do u have any random people as friends, do u add people as friends who u dont know?
    i myself on facebook jus have friends that i know from school or family but in the past (like 6yrs ago) when the inet wasnt as mad as it is now i met a person online in a chat site &we met in the real world, it wasnt a great idea, eventhough we got on fine it just wasnt a great way to meet anyone, just want to know what peoples feelings are on this as im sure it goes on more and more these days, wondering what people feel about the internet and who u meet on it, i personally dont believe anyone online i dont belive anyones pictures i see & even if it is them in the pictures ther all posed pics nowadays so there prob from ages ago & they look totally different or if ur reely unlucky ull meet a sick Sh1t like this guy in england, this story turns my stomach, its so sad heres the article below to read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz0hirK5AG9

ps: feel free to rant or talk about ur own expieriences of wierdos u met online or what your feelings are

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Moved to AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Facebook, well I've almost only got people I've met from boards, people I know from the Martial Arts community and personal friends and I don't accept randomers as friends.

I've also got a 14yr old daughter, she'd be pretty savvy to what goes on online (or at least I hope she would) and it was my daughter who first alerted me to this story.

This poor girl, my heart breaks when I think too deeply about her.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Their report functions are a joke.
    Facebook tried to claim that they have a well established and clear emergency report button on their site for children to find when they feel suspicious.
    There is a tiny report "page" button but that is a sad joke.

Other similar web services have huge red buttons that can be clicked and found easier. In fact a lot of the those have agreed to adopt the same click-able image icon so that kids can get to know it well and quick.

Facebook? Nope - not bothering their arse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

That's the danger of the internet. You just never know who you're really dealing with.

It's so so easy to hide behind an alias and a picture plucked from the millions of images that can be found on the net.

I was supposed to meet up with (well what was presented) as a really pretty and good looking girl one time but when I met up with her she was absolutely horrible.

It's not the same thing I know but the internet, though fun and informative can be extremely dangerous if you don't have your wits about you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

F*ck

Shoulda asked for pics first

/unfriend

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Why would anyone consider taking a chance like that. She was 17 after all. Shouldnt she have know better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

The poor girl was let down by a Multinational corporation and the Police.

Hopefully changes will be made after this tragedy to protect youngsters in the future. But, it has to be said, people need to be really really careful on the internet, especially if they decide to meet someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I wouldn't be able to tell how many people I've met in person via the Internet, for buying or selling things on the likes of adverts, or group meet-ups and so on. I think it is way more normal now but I'm not sure if it's safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Lesson here folks, dont allow your kids unmonitored internet access. Its not rocket science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's like blaming bars "I met a guy at a bar. He seemed nice and we went to my place to drink tea. Then he molested me. It's the bars' fault!1!"

Facebook and bars facilitate interaction, what you do based upon that is your own fault. Yes parents should monitor their kids internet usage/block sites. And monitor their friends, and their drinking, and their political views.

Do you think this 17-yo girl (RIP) would have pressed the pedo-button if there would have been one? I think not.

Children - if you have to meet someone from the internet, bring a friend and meet in a public place!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Definitely but there's always an element of risk involved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Magnus wrote: »
    It's like blaming bars "I met a guy at a bar. He seemed nice and we went to my place to drink tea. Then he molested me. It's the bars' fault!1!"

Facebook and bars facilitate interaction, what you do based upon that is your own fault. Yes parents should monitor their kids internet usage/block sites. And monitor their friends, and their drinking, and their political views.

I agree to an extent, but a site does have a certain duty of care to maintain. Ebay can pretty quickly suss out fake designer gear, so why can't a social networking site put a bit more effort into weeding out dodgy members. I would agree though that it is harder.

At the end of the day, kids need a lot more education on the whole meeting someone off the internet type stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

padz wrote: »
    hi just reading about this sicko peter chapman(33),he was pretending to be a 17yr old boy and he persuaded a 17yr old girl on facebook to meet him,and then he raped and killed her, its pretty sick alright and so sad, but im wondering what peoples reaction is to this regarding safety online, would you meet someone from facebook? do u have any random people as friends, do u add people as friends who u dont know?
    i myself on facebook jus have friends that i know from school or family but in the past (like 6yrs ago) when the inet wasnt as mad as it is now i met a person online in a chat site &we met in the real world, it wasnt a great idea, eventhough we got on fine it just wasnt a great way to meet anyone, just want to know what peoples feelings are on this as im sure it goes on more and more these days, wondering what people feel about the internet and who u meet on it, i personally dont believe anyone online i dont belive anyones pictures i see & even if it is them in the pictures ther all posed pics nowadays so there prob from ages ago & they look totally different or if ur reely unlucky ull meet a sick Sh1t like this guy in england, this story turns my stomach, its so sad heres the article below to read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz0hirK5AG9

ps: feel free to rant or talk about ur own expieriences of wierdos u met online or what your feelings are

Umm... Punctuate much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

John Lennon was also murdered by a Chapman. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Ah.... Run_to_da_hills, I was wondering when you'd get here. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Just thinking about it now actually, Facebook could probably implement some pretty simple procedures to flag dodgy accounts.

Just off the top of my head;
    • An account with a small amount of friends initiating contact with underagers
    • An account that has had a disproportionate amount of friend requests rejected (because a new account could just friend request thousands of randomers, to make it look like it's a normal account, and hope that some of them will Accept just for the sake of it)
    • An account that has been blocked a disproportionate amount of times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I just read about someone who set up a Facebook account for a celebrity popular with children. He then just sat back and waited for kids to approach him.
    His angle was to get them to text support for the celeb (that wasn't him) in the Eurovision song contest, but to a premium rate number he had set up.

Facebook
    Kids
    ???
    Profit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

But one of the best roles in one of the best ever films was played by a Chapman too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

He picked a girl from the internet that he liked and tricked her into meeting up. If there was no internet he probably would have just pulled a girl off the street into his car at some stage either way.
    I doubt he was a fine upstanding citizen before he started on facebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭padz

Umm... Punctuate much?

tw@T,.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

padz wrote: »
    tw@T,.

Ah now, it has been a year and 8 months since a reply to this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

whats horrible is the lengths people go to, anyone see that brasseye documentary where it showed the clothes that paedos used to hide their real age. or the chemicals that can be released through the keyboard to make people moree suggestive

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I don't see anything significant about the ages of the people involved. Should facebook oblige people to tick a box stating that they're murdering rapists when creating an account?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭padz

danniemcq wrote: »
    whats horrible is the lengths people go to, anyone see that brasseye documentary where it showed the clothes that paedos used to hide their real age. or the chemicals that can be released through the keyboard to make people moree suggestive

peadageddon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement