Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PIR insulation Direct onto Stone Walls

• 10-03-2010 1:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I have a granny annex house attached onto mine that is 100 year "1 up and 1 down" stone built house with brick extension Either side, and our house built onto brick extension. We want to knock down some partition walls (plasterboard) to give us bigger rooms and use the granny annex space. My husband also wants to use the middle room as an office (stone room). We want to use 50mm PIR boards on all external walls (internally) and 25mm on brick partition walls. We have been advised to use tripple skin ballytherm boards with foil back and plasterboard attached (total 63mm) stuck direct to wall. I have felt the weight of these boards and they are really heavy so I was thinking of using 50mm foil backed boards and sticking the plasterboard on myself to make the job more managable weight wise.

The more I read, the more confused I am. I was planning on using 10mm sempatap on window reveals as frames are only 35 mm aluminium and reveals are a chunky 50cm thick.

have read thermal bridging is a problem so avoid any gaps, does this mean I need to insulate both the roof and between floors? I have also read about moisture barriers and plastic sheeting and am now really confused. I was just planning on covering any wall space I see, would this be effective or do I need to do much more.

Can anyone advise me on what I need to do. Floors are wood upstairs, concrete or screed downstairs, not even been up in loft! Have electro osmosis but it doesnt do much - theres still damp in bottom foot or so of stone. I have read kingspan, quinn therm, ballytherm and ecotherm, coeltex websites and am still confused.:confused:

I have seen the adhesive to stick the boards to the wall (25kg bag for about £9 that says it will stick 2.5 boards - seems expensive) but cant find any to stick plasterboard to ballytherm. Saw some gyproc nailable plugs for mechanical fixings but also seem expensive £56+vat+delivery for 100. I think fixing the stuff will cost a good percentage of the boards themselves!

50mm board with drywall built on - £31
    50mm foil backed board £18.75
    Sheet plasterboard £6

Advertisement