Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Blocked in School - possible ?

Options
  • 10-03-2010 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭

My daughter is telling me that meteor is blocked in her school . When she comes out of school she has a signal , while inside there she has none . This holds true for most ( but not all ) of the other students that she knows in the school and everybody in there seems to be talking about it . The thing is , she reckons some of the girls in there , with Meteor , and the same model phone as her .. have a signal .

Seems a bit odd that some would get through , anyone else heard of this in any other schools in Limerick ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If other people with the same type of phone have coverage then they aren't blocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Meteor probably has a crap signal in parts of the building. you go into Dolans you will have difficulty making a call anywhere on the ground floor for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

I used to work with o2 customer care and have seen issues like this before, usually caused by older hardware ie sim card, how long does she have the phone? she might have an older sim card, which could be causing the problem. She'll be able to get a free sim replacement in any meteor store which should solve the issue.

Meteor probably has a crap signal in parts of the building. you go into Dolans you will have difficulty making a call anywhere on the ground floor for example.

If others are getting signal this is not the case. but yes they do still have crap signal in some places, even with their roaming contract with o2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Ah well she has no need for her phone in class anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

If the signal was being blocked then all meteor customers in the school would be having the issue not just some, you wouldnt be able to selectively block a signal from getting to certain phones, indoor reception in some buildings is hit and miss, I used to get full signal in my old apartment sitting room but not in my bedroom which was all of ten feet away but the the back of the building, its illegal to tamper with a phone signal anyway,which includes blocking or amplifying the signal

krudler wrote: »
    its illegal to tamper with a phone signal anyway,which includes blocking or amplifying the signal

While true a licence can be gotten from Comreg to allow the use of a cell signal jammer in certain building if deemed necessary. ie... prisons, hospitals, cinemas, etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Just to clarify , and this I feel is what makes it unusual , the majority are complaining about it and it's only a few that can get a signal . I told her to try to find out more specifics today .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

See post 2 above.

Is there any real need for her to have a mobile on in class anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I would seriously doubt school would be utilising cell broadcast blocking equipment.

Even if for some bizarre reason they were, it would not only be Meteor that is blocked, as it would scramble all signals in the GSM range. The fact that some other students ARE getting a signal, completely goes against the theory.

I'd be sure that other networks may not be getting blocked.

It is most likely a simple case of Meteor having a fairly weak signal strength in the area, and the school buildings themselves hampering the signal. My GF has a meteor phone, and sitting in different area's of the same room can make a masive difference in the strength of her signal.

Sounds like school kids creating stories for gossip TBH.

Try the suggestion above for getting her a new sim card. Could even be her particular phone.

Either way, not being able to get a signal in school should hardly be an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

They can't block mobile signals in prison cells, yet they do in classrooms? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

concussion wrote: »

Is there any real need for her to have a mobile on in class anyway?

I don't remember saying that there was . The girl I am talking about can never be reached for anything during class , if I have a msg for her I am lucky if she remembers to turn it back on when she gets out of school ... my son texts in his sleep and will only be happy when they incorporate his phone directly into his brain .
    Sounds like school kids creating stories for gossip TBH

This is more along the lines of what I would be thinking .

Advertisement