Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eating more.

Options
  • 10-03-2010 2:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭

Off the smokes three weeks now, was on 12 to 15 per day. Now I find everything tastes nicer, so I find myself eating a little more too. Keeping away from sweets thankfully but still don't want to pile on weight. Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Danno wrote: »
    Off the smokes three weeks now, was on 12 to 15 per day. Now I find everything tastes nicer, so I find myself eating a little more too. Keeping away from sweets thankfully but still don't want to pile on weight. Any advice?

join a gym

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭theacher

Danno wrote: »
    I found sugar free gum was excellent.the hotter the better cos it got my throat and was spot on. hope it helps:D

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Evil-p

I'm off them 10 days and i am eating a bit more. Mainly I think its cos your meal times don't have a definite end. I would always enjoy my after dinner smoke so much i would leave food on my plate once i felt sorta full. Now that I don't have a reason to get up and go out for a smoke i tend to keep eating.

Maybe try some old school diet tricks. Use a smaller plate so your plate looks full but its a smaller portion. Keep lots of stuff like mange tout, blueberrys etc around, you can snack till your hearts content without doing any harm. I personally do not like gum etc. Most people can get by without chewing gum or smoking so its no harm for us to be the same!

Well done for quitting! I reckon you are far better off putting on a few pounds than smoking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

I became a right porker after I quit. I quit smoking and was dumped by my BF at the same time so I ate like Elvis at a cake convention for a few months.

Have lost most of it now thankfully, step up your activity in the gym. So if going three times a week, up it to five and speak to an instructor about changing your programme.

If you're not a member already, join one! It really is as simple as eat less, exercise more. Statistics show that the average weight gain is 7lbs although this normally balances itself out within 12-15 months so don't get disheartened. You're doing great! Better to have a few extra pounds on then a rotting pair of lungs and stinky breath!

keep laughing aswell (elvis at a cake convention) classic:D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

I quit smoking recently too and am desperate not to put on weight. Joining a gym is good advice and you'll have more energy for it being off the smokes.
    What I'm doing for the cravings is carrying around packets of veg with me. Not a big sack of spuds, but a bag of carrot sticks or a little pack of sugar snap peas and when I get a craving I munch on them rather than eating junk.
    I'm exercising more too and eating less crap food but I'm horrified and dismayed to feel that I think I've put on a bit of weight anyway. I think it might be just a case of damage limitation for the first few months and then afterwards your body will shake down to normal and you can lose the weigh again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I am off them again now about 10 days and definitely feel like that guy from the 'Belly is going to get you' advert. It's too expensive at the moment to join a gym but walks and exercise have meant avoiding adding the weight so far.

well done. everyday gets better,and it gets to the stage you dont ever want to go back down that road.nice one;)

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭silvo

I dont know if you do already, but I took up cycling after I gave up the smokes and didn't gain any weight. You could cycling into work in the mornings, or go out for a cycle at the weekend. It is also a good way of gauging how your fitness is improving.

Other things you could do would be to take the stairs instead of lifts, if you take the bus get off one stop before the usual or make a new habit of going for a 30 min walk at night after dinner.

Well done you are over the worst of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Quit the ciggies a few years ago now but have to say I turned into a blob when I did... took about 2 years to lose it again... took up running in the end and that seemed to solve it.
    At the time though I just wanted to stop smoking and went with the eating thing... in retrospect not the best idea but I'm off them and no longer a blob.

• Advertisement

forgot how well the late night walks worked.:cool:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭ocokev

Quit last november and had a few bars of chocolate, crisps and fizzies a day to replace the smoking cravings.
    Put on over a stone in the process, but less of two evils.
    Gave up all the sugary stuff for lent and staying off them.
    Running 3 hours a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Bambi86

Well done for quitting everyone! I gave up for 6months after reading that book, but unfortunately (stupidly) went back on them after an unexpected event.

While i was off the cigs, I can agree, everything tasted nicer & my sense of smell was on the button!

Need to get that back......heres to quitting!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

join a gym
    Or just start jogging on the road/in local park/anywhere - no need for a montly payment when you can run for nothing. Or buy a bike - once off payment.

For those saying "it's too wet", "weather's crap" etc - I started jogging in the third week of Jan. I've run at least 3 times a week, done (outdoor) fitness training with a running club semi-weekly, and cycled periodically too. Twice have I got wet in those 3 months. A gym would be great if you want weight training but if you just want to get active it's not necessary.
    theacher wrote: »
    I found sugar free gum was excellent.the hotter the better cos it got my throat and was spot on. hope it helps:D
    Me too - Extra green - lived on it for 2 months. Weaned myself off it now.

Another tip I was given - and may have mentioned on this forum before - is to have a basket of oranges - easy peelers - handy. Get a craving - peel an orange. Craving passes - eat it.

Anyway danno I know you first posted a month ago - hope you're still off them. If not - don't get disillusioned - I doubt anyone passes the test the first time. But get back on the horse and try again if you didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

I just wanted to say i wish all of you the best with quitting.
    Im a smoker myself of sorts and dont plan on quitting right now.
    But on the topic of weight gain something i have been trying to achieve in a healthy way id like to comment.
    I spent many years mistreating myself with a bad diet and i got sick because of that.Im still sick because of that and its been about 2 years maybe less.
    So i have been looking up how i can gain weight in a healthy way and boy did i learn alot about what i was doing wrong :(
    This might not be news to anyone but just incase il go ahead anyway.
    I learned that to gain fat fast you need to eat the right combination of fats and protein this is healthy,to do it faster but very unhealthy for colesterol you combine fat with carbs or sugar and the chart goes way up for fat gain.But i think tests showed you can eat up to the same amount of fat as protein(meat) and no weight gain was noticed.It was the addition of sugars through any means including carbs combined with certain fats that boosted the fat gain.
    So if you would like to lose weight i think keeping an eye on the amount of carbohydrates and sugars in your food will totally change how easy or hard it is for you to lose weight.
    Im on a very strict diet(by diet i dont mean fasting i mean watching what i eat.I can eat as much as i like) for candida so i cannot eat anything that gives my body carbs or sugar until my body has caught up and rebalanced itself.
    The problem for me is on this diet i cant gain enough weight without buying alot more protein which is just too exspensive.
    My advice is to change your diet and switch to just drinking water and healthy fruit smoothies.If you stay off carbs and sugar for about a week and notice your not feeling well and have cravings it means your body is recovering from the damage and expelling toxins.
    I wanted to post that because i see so many people buying items with low fat and its a down right shamefull campaign to print low fat in large print making people think that more fat equals more weight.
    Low fat in reality has not much to do with gaining or losing weight unless its combined with carbs and sugar.
    Also i should say that aspartame has been known to cause brain tumours so i dont advise sugar free or diet anything ,please notice i dont give any advice only my opinion.
    If i can help one person change their future to a healthier one i believe i will be a happy man,if you find this works please pass it on :)

Ps. I say eat as much as you like, as long as its got no sugar or carbohydrates you can eat it till the cows come home after that its about nutrition to stay healthy.I try to remember carbs and sugar for fast burning energy, protein and fibre(whole grains etc) for long term energy.So i rather eat a full steak with a salad or brown rice to keep me going than say a processed meal filled with carbs and sugar and additives, like a jar of sauce or any prepackaged food.READ THE LABELS ingredients are there and sugar carb amounts.Protein lasts so much longer and doesnt get you hungry for a while afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 ceduffy

i find apples to be great when one is hungry i drive for a living and its very easy to put on weight give it a go and best of luck

Advertisement