Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non sugar substitute for honey?

Options
  • 10-03-2010 2:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Hi,

I am trying to make some homemade flapjacks.
    I don't want to bake so I'm not using eggs.

The recipe I have just has Peanut Butter, Honey and Oats.

Microwave the peanut butter and honey into a paste, then add the oats.

Simple!

However I have to use large amounts of honey as the mixture dries out and wont stick together.

I don't need honey for the flavour, its merely used as a sticking agent.

Does anyone know of a substitute for the honey in this case?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,436 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What's that gum, Xantar gum or something. Pretty sure Rubadub or somebody just it in oat pancakes to thicken. Might help gel it together

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

What you are missing is the heat that causes a chemical reaction in the sugars and fat to bond the oats together.

Try this...substitute 50% of your peanut butter with normal butter, melt it with the honey, or for even better results use golden syrup if you can. Add the oats, press it into a greased microwaveable dish and cook on high for five minutes. Check it during cooking to make sure it is caramalized, but not too burnt (y'see I don't know what quantities you are using). If it looks to pale, microwave for another minute and so on. Once golden, leave to cool and slice.

Unfortunately you really need the sugar, fat and heat to bond it all together. The oats taste nicer when cooked too.
    If you are diabetic and really can't have the sugar, have you tried Agave Nectar? It has a much lower GI than most sugar substitutes, including honey. Granted I haven't seen it here in the west yet, but it's available online through amazon etc.
    Hope that helps!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

OpenBake wrote: »

I've heard of this too - as far as I know you can get it in health food stores. I'm going to try it myself as soon as I get some.

Advertisement