Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Radio Personalities

• 10-03-2010 10:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

No I am not going on a Rant about RTÉ's over use of Personalities for its schedules. But I am going after their National competition and 4FM to an extent.

While we might all give out (complain) about RTÉ's over paid stars, we rarely seem to critize the competition on a purely critical level. Lets face it RTÉ are in competition to them and will be prone to imitation as will the Independents. But at least at RTÉ the stars take a longer period of the air to allow different people to present. Today FMs reliance on both Ray D'Arcy and Ian Dempsey is phenomenal when you think about it. So much so that their sister channel Newstalk are talking to Eamon Dunphy about a Weekend show.

Communicorp Radio's use of their personalities seems bizzare. Surely if they wanted to see growth on TodayFM and further growth on Newstalk they would be moving people around.

Moving Matt Copper, Sam Smyth to Newstalk and Tom Dunne back to Today FM.

But it seems that Communicorp are far to obsessed with personality to try something different.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Don't move Tom. Him and Moncrief are the only shows I listen to on Newstalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

trad wrote: »
    Don't move Tom. Him and Moncrief are the only shows I listen to on Newstalk.

You could listen to them on Today FM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Elmo wrote: »
    You could listen to them on Today FM.
    But then I'd have to find a new button on my radio.

trad wrote: »
    But then I'd have to find a new button on my radio.

Well you found a new one for Newstalk :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Southsider1

Moving Matt Copper, Sam Smyth to Newstalk and Tom Dunne back to Today FM.

But it seems that Communicorp are far to obsessed with personality to try something different.

a most ridiculous idea. move talk presenters from a talk station to a predominately music station? it'd be like movin joe duffy to 2fm. ridiculous!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Cooper and Smith are Newstalk type presenters though, they are an anomoly on Today FM.

a most ridiculous idea. move talk presenters from a talk station to a predominately music station? it'd be like movin joe duffy to 2fm. ridiculous!

They moved Tom Dunne to a predominately Talk based station.

I am suggesting that Tom and Sean are possibly better suited to Today FM's audience base and their "Current Affairs" requirements. While The Last Word and The Sunday Supplement would attract more listeners to Newstalk as they are already established shows already in the Communicorp Radio portfolio.

Imagine the Press release Newstalks Drive Time slot sees a 300% increase with Matt Cooper :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Southsider1

They moved Tom Dunne to a predominately Talk based station.

I am suggesting that Tom and Sean are possibly better suited to Today FM's audience base and their "Current Affairs" requirements.

Imagine the Press release Newstalks Drive Time slot sees a 300% increase with Matt Cooper :rolleyes:

I don't agree. If I was in charge they wouldn't even be on Newstalk never mind Today FM. I'd say Newstalk are happy with G. Hook. At least he's original and doesn't sound like all the other radio clones.

I don't agree. If I was in charge they wouldn't even be on Newstalk never mind Today FM.

Who?

Advertisement