Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd v AC Milan (agg 3 - 2) - RTE, ITV

• 10-03-2010 11:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭

b_12.png v b_26368.png

Man Utd (from): Van der Sar, Kuszczak, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evans, Rafael, Evra, Neville, De Laet, Park, Scholes, Obertan, Gibson, Valencia, Nani, Fletcher, Rooney, Berbatov, Diouf.

Don't have the MIlan squad handy.

Biggest selection problem for United is midfield. With Carrick suspended, Anderson injured, and more than likely a three man midfield being deployed it does pose a problem.

VDS
    Rafeal----Rio
    Vidic----Evra
    Fletcher-Scholes-Gibson----
    Valencia
    Park
    Rooney

Gone for Gibson because I believe he has been brought into the fold with this match in mind. He hadn't got a game for ages until Carrick got suspended.

Rooney more than likely to start but if there is any doubt about him I'd like Berbatov to come in.

Focus will be on keeping a clean sheet, and hitting them on the break. We don't need to score, they need to score two. Frustrate them for half an hour and their heads will start to drop.

United to win 2-1.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Midfield fail :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I think we could see Park in the middle, with Fletcher and Scholes sitting deeper behind him,also means Nani playing on the left.

I reckon Gibson sat an audition on Saturday night, and imo he failed. Maybe SAF feels differently, but i think Gibson did himself no favours on Saturday vs Wolves.

He could go with Berbatov up front and move Rooney out to the left, with Fletcher, Scholes and Park in the middle. I know it is not ideal for Rooney to be out on the left, especially given the form he is in at the moment playing through the centre, but it could be a needs/must situation tonight in this regard, and Rooney may need to sacrifice himself for the good of the team (like he has done on many occasions in the past). We also know that Rooney can do a job out there.

I reckon the backline will be Raf, Rio, Vidic, Evra.

Midfield 3 could be: Fletcher, Scholes, Park.

Forward 3 could be either Valencia, Rooney, Nani or Valencia, Berbatov, Rooney.

Will be interesting to see what way Fergie goes.

Another issue is that if Berbatov starts, we'd only have Diouf to turn to on the bench as a striking option to change our game plan, if needed. So maybe Fergie will hold Berbatov in reserve. who knows really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Manchester sports team win

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Don't think Gibson will start, prob Park as forward of 3. Who knows with Fergie in Europe though!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think, with the midfield options open, we might see a 4-4-2, because Berbatov helps us retain possession so much. We might even see him either way to be honest.

However, I really have no idea what Fergie is going to do in this game. Key thing though is to score. We score, it should be over. 4-2 would need them scoring 3 goals to stay in, which I can't see them doing with Vidic and Ferdinand back.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote: »
    I think, with the midfield options open, we might see a 4-4-2, because Berbatov helps us retain possession so much. We might even see him either way to be honest.

However, I really have no idea what Fergie is going to do in this game. Key thing though is to score. We score, it should be over. 4-2 would need them scoring 3 goals to stay in, which I can't see them doing with Vidic and Ferdinand back.

This is it, picking the following players (as I have mentioned above) gives us the flexibility to switch between a 442 with Park our left and 451 with Rooney out left. It is certainly a good option for Fergie to have, and as you say Berbatov retains possession brilliantly and that will be important tonight.

VDS

Raf
    Rio
    Vidic
    Evra

Valencia
    Fletcher
    Park
    Scholes

Rooney
    Berbatov

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

VDS

Raf
    Rio
    Vidic
    Evra

Valencia
    Fletcher
    Park
    Scholes

Rooney
    Berbatov

This imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Spud83 wrote: »
    Biggest selection problem for United is midfield. With Carrick suspended, Anderson injured, and more than likely a three man midfield being deployed it does pose a problem.

VDS
    Rafeal----Rio
    Vidic----Evra
    Carrick-Scholes-Gibson----
    Valencia
    Park
    Rooney

:pac:

0330chewbacca.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

1-1.

They to score 1st and we hit them on the counter attack at the 70 min stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I really hope Beckham scores a free kick and celebrates like it's Old Trafford 2001.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

No Gibson please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I really hope Beckham scores a free kick and celebrates like it's Old Trafford 2001.
    I don't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Xavi6 wrote: »

Oddly, me too, and I'm a United fan! I'd love to see him score tonight as long as it doesn't put us out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

2-1 United, think Milan will score at OT though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I just don't see Ferguson going 4-4-2, especially not in Europe against Milan.

I think Park is a certainty to start, he always does in this kind of game

Gibson, in my opinion, is the only viable option for the midfield really.

Keeper and back 4 pick themselves for me, so I agree that the most likely lineup is the one Spud posted in the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭SilverFox261

The only problem is that if we play Gibson from the start, it will mean that Park will get the nod over Nani which would leave us with no central midfielder to bring on in the second half to keep leg's fresh. Considering Scholes played the full game at the weekend, i think its a big ask to get him to play 90 minutes again.

I'd rather see Park start in the centre with Nani out left. At least that way we would be able to bring on a fresh midfielder if there are any injuries or someone runs out of steam early.

That's a good point actually.

Are there any central midfielders who have been overlooked here? What's the full CL Squad?

I'd a proponent of the argument that you start with your best available 11 and get the job done though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Des wrote: »
    That's a good point actually.

Are there any central midfielders who have been overlooked here? What's the full CL Squad?

I'd a proponent of the argument that you start with your best available 11 and get the job done though.

The full list available is in the OP. Nobody has been omitted.

If Park starts on the left and we need extra legs in the middle then he will go in there, and either Nani brought on for the left, or Berbatov up front and Rooney moved to the left.

this is the full United squad.

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/clubs/club=52682/squad/index.html

Midfielders:

Ando
    Giggs
    Park
    Nani
    Carrick
    Scholes
    Fletcher
    Valencia
    Obertan
    Gibson
    Evans
    Eikrem
    Norwood.

From that, I would say only the following are available: Nani, Park, Scholes, Fletcher, Gibson, Valencia and Obertan.

Evans and Norwood are fit, but completely untested in reality and played vs Stockport reserves on Monday night, so I would be surprised if they were even considered. Eikrem, another completely untested player (but quite promising) is only just coming back from injury so there is no chance of him being available.

I do think there is the option of Starting Park, Rooney and Berbatov and flowing between 442 and 451 as needed. Gibson could then be started on the bench to come on if needed. Main problem with that is that he is not really all that good at anything, so what we would need to bring him on for is a mystery - injury would be most likely. If we need to go defensive, Rooney could be asked to do a job. Maybe valencia too - but i'd have my doubts.

the one can play any position

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Rio has played there before but IMO would only be considered if there was an injury to 2 CMs, has J Evans ever played there? I also seem to remeber Valencia playing CM for Wigan a few times.

I certainly wouldn't move Valencia from the RW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Rooney CM.

you all know you want to see it.

SlickRic wrote: »
    Rooney CM.

you all know you want to see it.
    Rooney in CM with Berba and The One up front, and Velencia supplying crosses.

I don't think the football world is ready for it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭antod

i reckon this will be the line up 2nite.
    vds
    Rafael
    Vidic
    Rio
    Evra
    Valencia
    Park
    Fletcher
    Nani
    Scholes
    Rooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Im going go for a 1-1 draw with Milan getting a 75 min + equlaiser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

2-0 to Manchester United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

only team i could see him playing is

VDS

Rafael
    Rio--Vidic
    Evra

Scholes--Fletcher--Gibson/Park----

----Valencia
    Nani/Park

Rooney

2-1 to united

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I think there should be a good stuffin on the cards tonight. We were stunned by the noise in the san siro and that led to the franetic opening period where we were put under serious pressure.

I don't think Milan will score tonight - I'll go 3-0 United.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

i am worried for man u

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

If we score Milan need 4, we should go out and attack from the start and get that goal.

Smegball wrote: »
    If we score Milan need 4, we should go out and attack from the start and get that goal.

no, if we score milan need 3, not 4.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

At the risking of setting mysefl up, who's "The One"?

Diouf - and before Alan gets some sand down there, its just a bit of fun.

Just read on twitter that Nesta, Pato and Antonini are all out of the game tonight (no udea how true it is)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

if thats true, milan have no chance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Pato is defo meant to be out. Nesta out would be a big boost to United.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Valencia Scholes Fletcher Park Nani

That would be my midfield. The energy in the middle would soon squeeze Milan out of the game and the pace out wide always threatens to tear them apart when they get tired / give up.

Gibson has no right to get a start imo. He could be brought on when Scholes gets tired and/or the fight has gone out of Milan.

PHB wrote: »
    Pato is defo meant to be out. Nesta out would be a big boost to United.

from looking around some forums, it does appear that it is indeed true that Nesta and Pato are out, and that Antonini is a major doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Berba already plays as basically an advanced midfielder so I think playing him would be grand. If he plays like he did on Saturday he could easily set up a goal. At least playing him in midfield would give him an excuse for never being in the box :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Another pre United game, another Berba bashing. Oh the joys!

I don't think he will start however. Carrying an injury aswell, will play the five in midfield and save him for future league games.

Nani and Valencia on the wings should be enough service for Rooney, with Park providing some link up play with Rooney.

Gibson will be a worry though, unless he bangs in a 25 yard screamer :) lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Aye, Galiani done an interview last night and said it definitely looked like Pato wouldnt start at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Smegball wrote: »
    Another pre United game, another Berba bashing. Oh the joys!

I don't think he will start however. Carrying an injury aswell, will play the five in midfield and save him for future league games.

Nani and Valencia on the wings should be enough service for Rooney, with Park providing some link up play with Rooney.

Gibson will be a worry though, unless he bangs in a 25 yard screamer :) lol.

he deserves to be bashed, he was played as a lone striker on Saturday and was never in the box, he is more suited to being an attacking mid imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Are Nesta, Pato et al definitely out?

Was wondering if Galliani was trying to mislead us with the Pato comments.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Milan don't have a hope..... Can see United beating them comfortably by a few goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

any news on rooney does anyone know i've been working all day so didnt catch much on whats going on

ignore that. ssn just said he's playing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Match is on ITV1 and RTE 2. Not Sky Sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

http://www.patohome.com/2010/03/10/pato-still-feels-pain-and-is-out-of-the-game-against-manchester/

according to this pato will definitely not play. story broke 2 hours ago supposedly.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Boggles wrote: »
    Match is on ITV1 and RTE 2. Not Sky Sports.
    Dammit. Poxy commentators and SD quality picture is ahead so.

This game deserves better.

what's the betting RTE commentary will be ahead of the game again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

Watch it on ITV HD :) Its even better quality than Sky Sports HD imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuVq6thvBDQ

• Advertisement
Advertisement