Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd v AC Milan (agg 3 - 2) - RTE, ITV

1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I know Milan were crap last night, but here's an interesting stat, pouring scorn on the suggestion (from some quarters, not here I might add) that Uniteds victory last night was diminished because Milan are an ageing team...

Starting XIs, 10 March
    UNITED: van der Sar (39); Neville (35), Ferdinand (31), Vidic (28), Evra (28); Valencia (24), Fletcher (26), Park (29), Scholes (35), Nani (23); Rooney (24)
    Average age: 29.27

AC MILAN: Abbiatti (32); Abate (23), Bonera (28), Silva (27), Jankulovski (32); Flamini (26), Pirlo (30), Ambrosini (32); Huntelaar (26), Borriello (27), Ronaldinho (29)
    Average age: 28.36

From ManUtd.com
    Its us who are the ageing ones!! :D

get in there! special mention goes to VDS, Scholes and Neville, couldnt have done it without you lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Standard statistical practise would be to take out the oldest and youngest player from each team and calculate the average without them I believe...

United's average, for example, is probably quite skewed by VDS, while Abate brings down AC's figure by a nice bit as well.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I think alot of the comments were directed towards toward substitutions. United brought on Gibson (22), Rafael (19) and Berbatov (29). Milan brought in Inzaghi (36), Beckham (34) and Seedorf (33).

Average age of Subs:

United - 23
    Milan - 34

Not exactly what you need to "freshen up" the team at the 60 minute mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

United aren't an especially young team to be honest. But the age is where age can be lived with, primarily in defence. Age in midfield and up front is a killer though, if past one or maybe 2 players. Also, the benches were massively different in age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

I know Milan were crap last night, but here's an interesting stat, pouring scorn on the suggestion (from some quarters, not here I might add) that Uniteds victory last night was diminished because Milan are an ageing team...

Starting XIs, 10 March
    UNITED: van der Sar (39); Neville (35), Ferdinand (31), Vidic (28), Evra (28); Valencia (24), Fletcher (26), Park (29), Scholes (35), Nani (23); Rooney (24)
    Average age: 29.27

AC MILAN: Abbiatti (32); Abate (23), Bonera (28), Silva (27), Jankulovski (32); Flamini (26), Pirlo (30), Ambrosini (32); Huntelaar (26), Borriello (27), Ronaldinho (29)
    Average age: 28.36

From ManUtd.com
    Its us who are the ageing ones!! :D

dont think you should be gloating about how old your team is:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

keane2097 wrote: »
    Standard statistical practise would be to take out the oldest and youngest player from each team and calculate the average without them I believe...

United's average, for example, is probably quite skewed by VDS, while Abate brings down AC's figure by a nice bit as well.

Sounds like you're describing standard political statistic practise, alter the data any way you can so that it shows the result you want :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I think alot of the comments were directed towards toward substitutions. United brought on Gibson (22), Rafael (19) and Berbatov (29). Milan brought in Inzaghi (36), Beckham (34) and Seedorf (33).

Average age of Subs:

United - 23
    Milan - 34

Not exactly what you need to "freshen up" the team at the 60 minute mark.
    ^-- This tbh. Considering most of United's average is in Neville (who's 3rd/4th choice right-back), VDS (who still has another year minimum and is one of United's top performers) and Scholes (...ok this one's a bit of a worry, we do need a creative midfielder to replace him), it's easy to see why Milan are the ones who have serious squad problems coming up

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

am i the only one genuinely amazed and sort of awed that Clarence Seedorf is "only" 33 though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

kryogen wrote: »
    am i the only one genuinely amazed and sort of awed that Clarence Seedorf is "only" 33 though?

he must have started playing at 13. Seems to have been around 20 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

VDS 39..well impressed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

syngindub wrote: »
    VDS 39..well impressed

Yeah it's really good going. There is a bit about it in the match programme from Wednesday. With his year extension, he'll still be playing for us at the age of 40!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,832 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Roonaldo Roonaldo :D

That was a great win for United

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

marko91 wrote: »
    dont think you should be gloating about how old your team is:pac:

You say old, I say experienced :pac:
    The older the fiddle....

The older the fiddle....

the easier to break?

:D