Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can i find out?

Options
  • 10-03-2010 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭

if someone is still claiming rent allowance for 1 of the bedrooms in my house?
    i rented a room to a guy for a while between 2008 and 2009,when he moved in first i filled out a form for him to claim rent allowance and at the beginning of 2009 he asked me to fill out another form.he said he needed to apply again at the beginning of every year,does anyone know if this is the case?
    anyway,he moved out in early 2009 but i reckon he was still claiming the rent allowance for the whole year though i've no way of proving that.
    towards the end of last year and at the beginning of this year he suddenly started ringing me again but i wouldn't answer the phone.i reckon he was ringing me to see if i would sign the form for him again for 2010 and maybe come to some sort of "arrangement" with him.
    is there any way that i can find out if this individual is still claiming rent allowance from my address?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Ask Social Welfare. .. Only reliable way. As a concerned and responsible landlord.

The terms seem to vary a gret deal; here we are not asked to renew after a year like that but that may be different in your area.

If he has not informed them , then he may well have been receiving it all year indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Surely you would be receiving correspondence in his name at your address if this was the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I thought that at first; but it would be worth his while to pay An Post for redirection.

Social Welfare tend to do checks only when alerted to possible fraud.
    Victor wrote: »
    Surely you would be receiving correspondence in his name at your address if this was the case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

IF hes a single man, the rent cheque will be sent in his name to your house,
    and you can go to social welfare and say, im the owner, i wanna make sure theres no 1 claiming from my adress.
    if there is they will simply stop all claims from your adress.
    say i had joe bloggs living here ,but he no longer lives here.
    HE may not care, re rent allowance, but if you dont have a fixed adress you cant claim the dole.
    OR simply ask, is there any person claiming welfare payments,from my adress.
    THEY DONT HAVE TO Give you a name, they,ll just stop any payments to your adress.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭ooter

thanks for the replies lads.
    see the thing is,this guy's daughter is renting the room (she pays cash) that he once rented so it's quite possible cheques are still being posted out and she's passing them on.i'm in work in the morning so don't be there when the postman comes.i've never once seen any cheque even when he was living there.
    it's a tricky one cos although i have my suspicions and want the payments to stop i also don't want any comeback from the guy if i do bring it to the welfare's attention.
    i suppose i could explain the situation to the welfare without giving any names initially and see what they say....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭hblock21

ooter wrote: »
    see the thing is,this guy's daughter is renting the room

From what I understand it's not as easy to fill rooms these days....do you really what to take the chance that you'll lose this tenant....

Advertisement