Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have to reset CMOS to turn on PC - New Motherboard?

Options
  • 10-03-2010 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    Had this issue since I put my PC together about 2-3 years ago now. I have to reset the CMOS on my PC for it to go into windows - if I don't reset it before I turn it on, it just freezes at the BIOS screen I think (haven't tried in a while).

I tried a load of things like replacing the battery etc. but none have worked. Anyone have any idea if I replaced the mobo would that resolve the issue?

The PC Consists of:
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz Socket LGA775, 8MB
    OCZ Gold XTC DDR2 PC6400 4096MB KIT
    OCZ StealthXStream Powersupply ATX/EPS 600W,
    Creative SB X-FI Xtreme Gamer
    Western Digital Raptor 150GB SATA
    XFX GeForce 8800GTS 500M 640MB GDDR3
    Thermaltake Armor Black
    ABIT IN9 32X-MAX WiFi, nForce-680i SLI, Socket-775,ATX,2xGbLAN,DDR2,2xPCI-Ex16

Could anyone recommend me a new Motherboard from dabs.ie or komplett or wherever is good nowadays?

Thanks
    Emmett

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭musicformedia

Just wondering if this would be a good alternative to my current board?

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/142585

Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L iG31 Socket 775 onboard VGA 7.1 channel audio mATX Motherboard

Any help appreciated - has been a while since I bought computer parts lol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=386361 you wont go wrong with asus great boards also one of these http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=494649 for overclocking the cpu q6600 are great for overclocking and so are asus mobo,s

Sweet cheers man :) Will buy it on ebuyer along with another few things so :)

Thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

no probs have fun let us know how you get on

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

if you've replaced the battery and everything, does it not seem to you as if theres something wrong in the bios perhaps?

I'll assume you've reseated all the hardware in your PC, and/or done a complete reinstall. If thats the case, it could be ram compatibilty. you could try change the timings on the ram in the bios settings and see if that does anything, before you hastily go and buy another motherboard :o

• Advertisement

have tried booting without the x-fi installed? Ive seen them cause boot-fails lots until you get it installed properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 pobbien

I built a PC about 6 months ago and had to reset the CMOS everytime initially to be able to get to Windows. I couldn't even get to the BIOS screen without resetting CMOS first.
    All i had to do was flash the BIOS with a newer version of BIOS from the Motherboards manufacturer website, and that resolved the issue for me.

If you still want to go for a new MoBo I have the Asus P5Q Deluxe and its great.

Hi guys,
    thanks for the replies. I went ahead and just bought the new mobo anyway to see if that would resolve the issue. Strangely enough, reinstalling windows does resolve the issue, but then about a week later, it will just keep happening for some reason.

Its probably not the motherboard now that I think of it, but its too late to cancel the order now lol - whoops! Sure we'll see if that resolves the issue - if not, I'll just have to try new ram instead and see if that fixes it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I have the same mobo, same problem. Piece of crap, no wonder Abit went out of business.

Thats cool that you had the same problem, glad it wasn't just me lol :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement