Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lightweight DSLR

• 10-03-2010 11:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just a quick query that someone on here might be able to help me with.

Doing quite a bit of hillwalking in recent times and am taking on a couple of challenge walks this year. Normally carry around my Nikon D50 but am wondering if anyone has any suggestions as regards a rugged lightweight DSLR? Doing a wee bit of hill running as well so looking for something that can take being shoved into a backpack and taking a bit of a shaking..

The solution is probably just to bring a Point-and-shoot but maybe there is something a bit more expansive that would be suitable..

Cheers,
    Paul

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

I have a D50 and a D90. I find the D50 isn't that heavy and putting it in a backpack, maybe wrapped in something does the trick. The kit 18-55mm isn't that bad at all either, not sure if you have one, but I've gotten some really good landscapes with it. Maybe you'd be better off spending the money on a new lens or similar. There may be other cameras that are slightly lighter than the D50, but not by much and IMO it wouldn't be worth the money at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

There's always micro 4/3 systems like the Lumix G1 and Olympus E series. they're smaller than the average dslr but have equally good image quality to the lower end dslr rivals. They just use a different aspect ratio, more square pics than rectangular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Does it have to be an SLR? I think a Canon G9/G10/G11 would be perfect for what your after. I have mine nearly everywhere I go now in the jacket pocket, just in case!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Cheers for all the advice, plenty to mull over there!!

Doesn't necessarily have to be a DSLR, just that I like the flexibility it gives particularly on the mountains where it provides the capability for capturing the subtle changes in light etc.

Taking on a couple of hefty walks this year which will involve some running as well so just looking for a practical solution. Something smaller might be the way to go as I won't have to be going to the rucksack too often (time will be of the essence!).

Thanks again,
    Paul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

As mentioned there are the Panasonic G cameras and the Olympus Ep series.

There is also the Olympus E420, the worlds smallest and lightest DSLR which you can buy with the equally small and light kit lenses for €400 or less. The kit lenses are small and sharp.

There's a guy in the states who takes amazing photos while hiking with a similar set up, I'll find a link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

I have the Olympus E-420 with both kit lens (14-42) and the Pancake 25mm f/2.8 lens, as well as a Canon G10. I was looking for a camera to have with me all the time, ready to go at short notice and not too bulky. The Canon G10 wins every time, takes great photo's and can shoot RAW and for the size it's a lot more "pocketable" than the E-420 even with the pancake lens. In fact that E-420 may be going up on eBay soon....

duffarama wrote: »
    As mentioned there are the Panasonic G cameras and the Olympus Ep series.

There is also the Olympus E420, the worlds smallest and lightest DSLR which you can buy with the equally small and light kit lenses for €400 or less. The kit lenses are small and sharp.

There's a guy in the states who takes amazing photos while hiking with a similar set up, I'll find a link

Cheers for that. Wouldn't mind having a look at those photos if you can find the link!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭DutchGuy

I'm in a similar situation and have been considering getting a G10 or Canon S90 to take on hikes. They both allow RAW shooting and full manual control AFAIK.

As they don't really have protruding detachable lenses they should also be less likely to get damaged when shoved into a bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

My partner shoots with an Olympus e-420 and it's is TINY and really light, even without the pancake lens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

There's the likes of the Olympus E-P2, a micro 4/3 system about the size of a small p&s cam, but it's ridiculously over priced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Panasonic GF1 or an Olympus Pen (3 models). Both are micro four thirds format.

PanGF1.jpg

Didn't find the link I promised but here are 2 other promising leads

This one is in French http://www.lemondedelaphoto.com/Olympus-E-410-trois-semaines-de,819.html

The second link is with an even older camera, the E-400 http://fiveprime.org/hivemind/Tags/e400,village

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,404 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Sigma dp1/dp2 series of cameras also have dslr size sensors. Fixed lens but relatively small and light

Found it at last :)

http://www.widerange.org/gallery/new-zealand/

Spectacular photos taken with the E4*0 cameras, he had an E-410 and upgraded to an E-420 last I read about him.

duffarama wrote: »
    Found it at last :)

http://www.widerange.org/gallery/new-zealand/

Spectacular photos taken with the E4*0 cameras, he had an E-410 and upgraded to an E-420 last I read about him.

Cheers for that. Actually came across this site before but wasn't aware of what kit was used. Some stunning shots on there!

Advertisement