Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Symbian Apps

• 10-03-2010 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭

So I've got a new Symbian phone - Nokia e63 - and I've started looking at Symbian Apps again. Glad to see that Shazam and Skype are now available for Symbian. However, as the new Ovi Store is a pale copy of the Apple App store, I though I'd ask any Symbian users what the best Apps are.

I like: Skype, Shazam, Gmail App, Cabbage, Google Maps (much better than Nokia Maps), You Tube App, Opera Mobile Beta 10 Browser (which doesn't have predictive text, so you really need a full keyboard.)

Am I missing anything else that's good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

Ovi maps now has voice navigation on older phones for Euro 9.99 a year.

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

i bought gravity for 10e which is a pretty good twitter app - if you are that way inclined

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

There's some listed in our FAQ here, feel free to suggest others
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59777565&postcount=29

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

There is an app that teaches the words for the national anthem - some people could do with this... i'd like to be able to get it on android

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Keith186

pretty much what you listed is what i have too. Ovi maps is good tho cos you dont need to use the network, free for certain phones anyway.
    If you're in Ireland and get the bus or dart checkout bart 'bus and rail times' i think sam vines on here developed it but i stand corrected. You'll find it on the cabbage texter website if you search for it. Get the ESPN app from ovi store if you like football. Didn't use to be updated for ages but they seem to be on the ball now with latest scores! Suppose get the youtube app too if interested and check out vlingo too if you wanna mess about with voice control on your phone. Google have a new voice thingy too if you check out there mobile apps. Only typing this on me mobile so no links i'm afraid.
    There's not many great symbian apps truth be told, maybe more in the future as just went open source but i think their efforts will be in vein as android looks to be in this year as developers get tired of apple.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭artielange

dohouch wrote: »

I would be interested in a link to this. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭pkeno

artielange wrote: »
    I would be interested in a link to this. Thanks

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/item/11251_Ovi_Maps_now_down_to_admin_cha.php

Used it myself yesterday to drive across the country. Pleasantly surprised at how good it is

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Hang on for a while before paying for this, the Nokia forums are full of suggestions that this will be free as well for older Symbian phones over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

Thanks for the recommendations. Installed Bart. Sam is a legend.

Anyone have trouble with the new nokia messaging software? My gmail used to appear in messaging along with text messages. Upgrading installed a separate email app which I have to use. If I click on mailbox in messaging, it asks me to set up the email app over and over again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

The Youtube player is pretty good.

http://thenokiareview.com/download/YouTube.sisx

Major warning though.
    You probably don't want to install this though unless you know how to make sure you're using WiFi rather than your phones 3G. I'm on an awful work plan and it would cost a fortune if I watched a video over 3G.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭artielange

Actually was looking for the link to purchase it.Nokias website not the best and i could only find the day month and yearly licenses. Doing some travel soon and could use it. Good news for everyone else, because after I purchase it I am sure Nokia will make it free.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

artielange wrote: »
    Actually was looking for the link to purchase it.Nokias website not the best and i could only find the day month and yearly licenses.

After reading the news about the new reduced price, I opened Ovi maps on my phone, went to licenses and buy, and it came up there as €9.99.

A link for more Symbian Apps

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

Advertisement