Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ableton Intro - What do you think?

Options
  • 10-03-2010 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

Hi all,

Looking into start making some music and came across Ableton Into.

Reading online and in some DJ mags, i hear Ableton has a steep learning curve and was thinking of forking out just a small bit of cash on the Intro version rather than the full suite and get bored or annoyed.

Any help here lads / ladies?

Or do have any recommendations to other start up software?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

reaper.its a free daw.

grab it and then grab some free vst from this site http://www.kvraudio.com/

then grab some free samples online like here http://spiralking.com/samples/

or just google free audio samples.

then make a club banger :D

no need to spend any money whilst you figure out if its for you or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Funky G wrote: »
    Hi all,

Looking into start making some music and came across Ableton Into.

Reading online and in some DJ mags, i hear Ableton has a steep learning curve and was thinking of forking out just a small bit of cash on the Intro version rather than the full suite and get bored or annoyed.

Any help here lads / ladies?

Or do have any recommendations to other start up software?

Would you not just download the 30 day demo of Live 8 to see if you think it would suit rather than buying Into and then having to shell out more money down the road. 30 Days would be more than enough time to find out whether you like it or not.

I use Reason 4 which some people are pretty dismissive about due to its lack of VST support but I find it easy to work and once you scratch beneath the surface and stop using default refills you can get some pretty good sounds out of it. Oh and it is unbelievably stable - haven't crashed it once yet.

If you're on a mac though the option most people go for is Logic which has a really strong reputation.

There's FL Studio as well but I don't know anything about that at all.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whiterob81

I'm just using ableton lite live myself. I actually find it bit of a pain in the hole at times. It crashes out on me fairly regularly and there are some latency issues that can lead to samples coming in off time. I think it may have more to do with my laptop rather than ableton itself (its 4 years old with half a gb of ram).

the program actually seems like it would be great if only for those issues.

i'll probably look into getting reaper in the next while

I got it free with an m audio midi controller so doing that is a good way of killing 2 birds with the one stone

I found it a bit confusing to use at first but there are 4 short videos on the ableton website that were very helpful. there's also some really good tutorials that people have put together on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭oootini

whiterob81 wrote: »
    I'm just using ableton lite live myself. I actually find it bit of a pain in the hole at times. It crashes out on me fairly regularly and there are some latency issues that can lead to samples coming in off time. I think it may have more to do with my laptop rather than ableton itself (its 4 years old with half a gb of ram).

the program actually seems like it would be great if only for those issues.

i'll probably look into getting reaper in the next while

I got it free with an m audio midi controller so doing that is a good way of killing 2 birds with the one stone

I found it a bit confusing to use at first but there are 4 short videos on the ableton website that were very helpful. there's also some really good tutorials that people have put together on youtube.

half a gig of ram will do weird thing to ya!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

The nice thing about Ableton is that there's millllions of really really helpful easy to follow tutorials for it.

Agree with Sean though, REAPER is amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭AfroSonic

seannash wrote: »
    reaper.its a free daw.

Reaper isn't free... website says theres a 30 day trail and then you buy a licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

AfroSonic wrote: »
    Reaper isn't free... website says theres a 30 day trail and then you buy a licence.

oops my bad.i always believed it to be free.maybe they change it.

try ardour,its free
    http://ardour.org/download

its pretty good also

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭oootini

seannash wrote: »
    oops my bad.i always believed it to be free.maybe they change it.

try ardour,its free
    http://ardour.org/download

its pretty good also

it's a trust based licence. it's remains fully functional beyond 30 days, but has a 5 second nag screen telling you to buy a licence..

Advertisement