Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

low carb, karate & weightlifting

• 10-03-2010 12:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭

Does anyone here do martial arts whilst eating low-carb? Do you think it would be possible to perform well in karate class if you haven't eaten any fruit or grains, but had eaten a big salad of starchy vegetables like parsnips, beetroot, carrot, etc, that day?

Do you think it's ok to weightlift after a breakfast of eggs, prawns, mushrooms and olive oil, with no carbs?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

Does anyone here do martial arts whilst eating low-carb? Do you think it would be possible to perform well in karate class if you haven't eaten any fruit or grains, but had eaten a big salad of starchy vegetables like parsnips, beetroot, carrot, etc, that day?

Do you think it's ok to weightlift after a breakfast of eggs, prawns, mushrooms and olive oil, with no carbs?

it might be possible in you eat enought root vegetables but ive never been able to do anything remotely near my potential if not taking in carbs. why would you want to avoid fruit if you are that phyiscally active? having an apple + banana before karate class wont make you fat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭J-Fit

corkcomp wrote: »
    it might be possible in you eat enought root vegetables but ive never been able to do anything remotely near my potential if not taking in carbs. why would you want to avoid fruit if you are that phyiscally active? having an apple + banana before karate class wont make you fat

Me too. Absolutely killed my strength when I tried going low carb and I'll never do it again. Ignore the people who say you don't need to eat carbs. Yes, it's true there are no carbohydrates that are essentail to survival but there those that will compromise your ability to perform to your best. The low carb movement was not initiated by high level athletes but it's somehow snuck it's way in there. The advice above is what to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

J-fit - was it you that said you once cut & carbs were more then 40% of your diet?

If it was you, can you elaborate on that a bit?
    Im finished strict dieting now and plan to reintroduce more carbs - I have a small bit of bodyfat left that i'd like to lose, maybe 2%.

If it wasn't you, ignore my ramblings...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭J-Fit

ragg wrote: »
    J-fit - was it you that said you once cut & carbs were more then 40% of your diet?

If it was you, can you elaborate on that a bit?
    Im finished strict dieting now and plan to reintroduce more carbs - I have a small bit of bodyfat left that i'd like to lose, maybe 2%.

If it wasn't you, ignore my ramblings...

Yeah it was me who said that. I've maintained a fairly low bodyfat for the last few years but always went the low carb route when cutting. It always frustrated me that my strength diminshed when I did so - obviously due to low calories but also due to low glycogen levels. I finally decided to keep carbs in the diet when cutting the next time. What I did was by no means rocket science. When I bulk, I usually go 40/40/20 - C/P/F. I used the exact same ratio for cutting and all this entailed was adjusting my meal portion size and nothing more. I did supplement with BCAAs just to ensure that I had sufficient protein intake but other than that I didn't do anything different. It was great because I wasn't totally carb depleted and this meant that I wasn't suffering awful cravings and stuff. I also retained most of my strength and that proved a great platform to get even stronger on the rebound. Sometimes the oldest and simplest methods are the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

J-Fit hit the nail on the head there. there is a common mis-conception that cutting must = low carb but it all comes down to calories in vs calories out, and obviously cutting out crap carbs like sugar and white products.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

thanks J-fit. Im going to start upping my carbs at the expense of fats in my diet and see how it affects the waist line.

Advertisement