Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pealed lacquer on stock

Options
  • 10-03-2010 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭

hi lads i bought a new .17 off the local dealer a few months back and he had tape stuck to the stock and when he pealed it off some of the lacquer come away with it (see picture)so he knocked €100 off the price but every time i look at it now i am getting turned off it more and more and it makes the gun look like its being knocked and kicked around is it hard to re-lacquer a stock or how much would it cost to get a stock redone to look like new again any advise would be great thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

There are kits for re laquering stocks out there.Brownells does them I think.But IMO laquer isnt worth the effort on a gun.One scratch and it is ruined again.Better off getting a good oil finish,still on a gunstock.Alot easier to service and keep in order.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    There are kits for re laquering stocks out there.Brownells does them I think.But IMO laquer isnt worth the effort on a gun.One scratch and it is ruined again.Better off getting a good oil finish,still on a gunstock.Alot easier to service and keep in order.

i was thinking of sanding it down and oiling it up like you said but would it work out well and have a nice finish

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Well, that depends on how much time and effort you want to put into it,and that it comes out right for you personally.Niot to mind what kind of wood the stock is.If it is good quality walnut burl[doubtful] you wont have to put in much effort in the coloring.However if it is somthing in a light wood[more than likely],you will proably have to stain it a darker color.It's all personal to you.Would suggest you ask a competant gunsmith,who has a stockmaker on tap,[thats a field totally seperate to gunsmithing]what they would advise to do with it so it so you are happy with it,and it doesnt cost more than the gun as well.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    If it is good quality walnut burl[doubtful]

Looks more like beech to me. Not worth fixing. Get a lace-on cheek pad http://www.cabelas.com/p-0005794220711a.shtml to cover it up (touch up any small bits still exposed) - will look fine and may be of some practical benefit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

What Grizzly says above is good advice.
    Putting an oil finish on a stock is a long, long, long job if you are to do it right. Done right on a good stock it is worthwhile job and a pleasure to look at. The outcome will depend on the raw materials – including the quality of the wood in the stock - and the effort you put into it. Remember, once you start you work your gun will be out of service for several weeks until the oil “sets.” Without wishing to appear rude, your stock is not at the top end of the scale so probably will not look fantastic when finished; however, it will look nicer than lacquer!

I’ve successfully used Napier products – http://www.napieruk.com/catalogue.html. No need to buy the complete kit, just use nitromorous to strip, and start building up the finish gradually. Once a day for a week, once a week for a month and once a month for a year.

Google gunstock oil finish and you will be amazed at what you will find.
    P.

• Advertisement
Advertisement