Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about solicitors timeframes when buying a house

Options
  • 10-03-2010 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've been trying to find out something about timeframes when buying a house and haven't been able to find the answer to this. When the sellers solicitor receives the list of requisitions/queries from the buyers solicitor. How long does the sellers solicitor have to respond to the requisitions? Like I know they'd obviously want to do it as soon as possible but is there an actual time limit?

Any help at all would be appreciated. If this is the wrong forum, please let me know and I'll ask in the Legal forum or wherever would be appropriate.

Thanks a mil!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Anything sincere I could write re Irish solicitors and house sales/purchases would get me banned.

Is a year a record?

There seems to be no time frame; not in my experience anyway.

At the other end of the scale it was two weeks.

I had better put my coat on here and seek the door..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

My solicitor was the most frustrating and painfully slow part of the whole buying a house experience. I should have walked away on day one when he misspelled my name and address.
    Try to get a recommendation from a friend and then try to verify that recommendation and then be very lucky and actually have a solicitor as a sibling (or be a solicitor) might well be the only way to get prompt professional action from a solictor.

in fairness I only dealt with one so far so my thoughts are hardly statistically verifiable:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

All sounds painfully familiar.... :rolleyes:

And remember you are really dealing with two firms.

Double the trouble..

Peterx wrote: »
    My solicitor was the most frustrating and painfully slow part of the whole buying a house experience. I should have walked away on day one when he misspelled my name and address.
    Try to get a recommendation from a friend and then try to verify that recommendation and then be very lucky and actually have a solicitor as a sibling (or be a solicitor) might well be the only way to get prompt professional action from a solictor.

in fairness I only dealt with one so far so my thoughts are hardly statistically verifiable:)

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Goldenlady

Can I ask a question - not sure if this is the right place!
    Our solicitor showed us clauses in the contract of the house we are trying to buy that she is not happy with and has told us not to sign, she went back to the builders solicitor and they basically wont change the clauses. One of the main ones is to do with title, she is afraid that if we sign the contracts and are bound into buying the house, that the bank may have an issue with the title and not release the funds and we are stuck with the house. There are other items also.
    The auctioneer rang my partner last week and said if we don't sign the contracts by this Thursday we will lose the house! I dont know what to do, our solicitor is great, and my partner has used her for other legal issues previously, so I dont blame her, she is being thourough.
    Any advice? We paid a booking deposit and are due to pay the balance of the 10% this week, but Im not sure where we stand. Need Help Please!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Mary Hairy

Pull out and take your deposit back. You do not need title problems in a time of falling house prices. If there is a problem now, there will still be a problem when your try to sell or re-mortgage. A lot of builders are now fixing up titles when purchasers object. Previously they would have sold to someone else. In the current market there is often no one else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Goldenlady wrote: »
    Can I ask a question - not sure if this is the right place!
    Our solicitor showed us clauses in the contract of the house we are trying to buy that she is not happy with and has told us not to sign, she went back to the builders solicitor and they basically wont change the clauses. One of the main ones is to do with title, she is afraid that if we sign the contracts and are bound into buying the house, that the bank may have an issue with the title and not release the funds and we are stuck with the house. There are other items also.
    The auctioneer rang my partner last week and said if we don't sign the contracts by this Thursday we will lose the house! I dont know what to do, our solicitor is great, and my partner has used her for other legal issues previously, so I dont blame her, she is being thourough.
    Any advice? We paid a booking deposit and are due to pay the balance of the 10% this week, but Im not sure where we stand. Need Help Please!:D

sweet mother of god. What help do you need ? Your solicitor tells you not to sign its a no brainer .... you dont sign.

tell the builder to go f**k himself and find somewhere else to buy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Our Solicitor in Limerick City left the whole thing to some clueless Trainee/Student/Kid while he fcuked off Skiing - Meant that we got into our House a week late due to documents not begin handled correctly and mistakes with the Bank.

- Was recommended to use him by a Family Member so felt obliged not to kick up too much of a fuss, don't know why we didn't pay him 50% of his ridiculous fee and tell him he was a thieving Cnut :mad:

Advertisement