Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway City Marathon

Options
  • 10-03-2010 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭

http://www.galwaycitymarathon.com/

Anyone hear about this ? Can't wait myself but talk about possible the worst website i've seen in years. Doesn't look the slightest bit safe either.
    So do the boardies want to enter a team lol.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Jes i don't think the website is that bad at all. Few months to get training.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Website looks pretty good, but there are one or two glaring mistakes

"Online entries are now open but all entries must be submitted within one week of Race Day."

...so don't enter until then :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭unJustMary

.... talk about possible the worst website i've seen in years. Doesn't look the slightest bit safe either.

What do you think is unsafe, the marathon or the website? How exactly????

(I've no axe to grind, just genuinely curious.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

What browser are you guys viewing it on ?
    I'm at work here on IE 6 and see the following..Did you guys actually try and sign up ?

The countdown clock is constantly flashing and disappearing , The Page Content displayed all over the place.
    Links hardly visable as the text is the same colour as the background.

On the payment page I had to google who Realex and streamline are as there's no links on the webpage. They both appear to be different companies ?
    Also the link on the payment page in relation to About security code ..contains information on how an american express card user can find their Secuity code…Yet they don't have American express as an option for payment ?
    It's very unprofessional and doesn't look in the slightest bit safe.

EDIT : I've just viewed the website on firefox and none of these issues appear ...seems like the developer doesn't like IE :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

possible the worst website i've seen in years.

What are you talking about - the website looks great!

EDIT: Oh I see it's not that Internet Explorer friendly alright. I feel their pain making it IE compatible. I'm on Firefox and it looks great. Anyway who uses IE these days!

web-design-pie-chart.png

• Advertisement

foto joe wrote: »
    What are you talking about - the website looks great!

Yes it's fine now on firefox just doesn't appear for me correctly on IE or on 2 other machines here at work. Must be our ancient version of IE here.

So are we getting a boards group to enter ?
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Anyone hear about this ? Can't wait myself but talk about possible the worst website i've seen in years. Doesn't look the slightest bit safe either.

Was afraid there for a minute that you were suggesting that the marathon runners wouldn't be safe running through ,<insert dodgy area of Galway City here>
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭unJustMary

foto joe wrote: »
    Anyway who uses IE these days!

I know that was tongue-in-cheek, but you got me wondering:

Based on visits to my main site in the last four months ... about 36% of people.

That's a lot lower than I expected. Based on N=2200, who admittedly may be a bit more tech-savvy than the average ... assuming that younger people are both more likely to need to use the bus, and tech-savvy.

Firefox has 46%. Chrome and Safari 7.5% each. Odds-and-sods for the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 solid oak

Are there now two marathons in the city ? the galway bay had one last year ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭JayMcD

I don't wanna be one of those finger waging posters, but I'm intrested in the Galway City Marathon, so is this thread about
    FireFox v Internet Explorer
    or
    The Galway City Marathon?

Has anyone done a marathon? I've never, but it would be a MASSIVE goal and accompleshment. 26 miles!!! Imagine being able to do that. Whats Boards opinions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

JayMcD wrote: »
    I don't wanna be one of those finger waging posters, but I'm intrested in the Galway City Marathon, so is this thread about
    FireFox v Internet Explorer
    or
    The Galway City Marathon?

Has anyone done a marathon? I've never, but it would be a MASSIVE goal and accompleshment. 26 miles!!! Imagine being able to do that. Whats Boards opinions?

I used to do 10Km cross country and I was wrecked after that, 26 miles... eek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭JayMcD

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I used to do 10Km cross country and I was wrecked after that, 26 miles... eek

I've heard its all mental!, as long as you've done the prep training of course, but I've heard its a mental battle! not a phisycal one.
    Cross country is hard, ie. uphill etc.
    its 2 laps off the city, so they also do a half marathon. (1 lap)
    guess do the training and see how you get on, if you feel up for a second lap of the city, try it.
    I dunno, recently quit smoking and hittin the gym big time, so a marathon goal would be unbelievable.
    I love the way they've given people 24 weeks advance notice,
    (Ps. think the website is great, use both Internet Exp and Fire Fox, no difference, the website is just an Info point, the marathon is the main aspect!!,)

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Rylan

JayMcD wrote: »
    I've heard its all mental!

It's mental all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If Eddie Izzard could do it so can I you.

Running into London's Trafalgar Square on Tuesday, Eddie Izzard took the last of 1.6m steps, from the 43 marathons he has completed in 51 days.
    He has run at least 27 miles a day, six days a week, over the past seven weeks, covering more than 1,110 miles of England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland.

Magnus wrote: »
    If Eddie Izzard could do it so can I you.

Running into London's Trafalgar Square on Tuesday, Eddie Izzard took the last of 1.6m steps, from the 43 marathons he has completed in 51 days.
    He has run at least 27 miles a day, six days a week, over the past seven weeks, covering more than 1,110 miles of England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland.

Exactly ...it's not about time ..it's the simple fact of being able to say you completed a Marathon.
    I've never done one (or a half for that matter) but I'm keen on starting training for it..I wonder if the exact route is available online ?
    At least you could practice the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Clinque

Oh no oh no oh no! I have just registered to do the Galway City Marathon! I don't know what got into me haha! I've never done a marathon before but i've done the Ladies Mini Marathon a few times and found that ok... My plan is to build up the running slowly as yes as another poster said it's good that we've got a few months to prepare!

On a side note - it's great to see that the the route is starting and ending at the Galway Harbour!! It's so nice to see that part of galway being used!

Clinque wrote: »
    Oh no oh no oh no! I have just registered to do the Galway City Marathon! I don't know what got into me haha! I've never done a marathon before but i've done the Ladies Mini Marathon a few times and found that ok... My plan is to build up the running slowly as yes as another poster said it's good that we've got a few months to prepare!

On a side note - it's great to see that the the route is starting and ending at the Galway Harbour!! It's so nice to see that part of galway being used!

Great isn't it ...I live there so won't have far to be carried home lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Just signed up... (No I'm not drunk lol)...
    This will be my first marathon but have to start some regular training now...
    The main reason for signing up to this one is thats it's local, and don't have any hassle of travellng to dublin ect...
    Anyone else giving it a go for the first time?????

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Think the site looks good,nice logo too
    I like how it ain't full of ads

• Advertisement

I just saw on the website that they are teaming up with Runners World and at the beg of April will be publishing a 16 week training plan. I would be fit enough but I'm not really a runner so I have decided to follow this plan http://www.galwaycitymarathon.com/race/training/

I'll let you know how i get on! Will this be anyone else's first time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Jordan Berbatov

came across this on the dub city marathon website, it looks a pretty decent basic training scheduele, the training starts in June, but id reckon you would have to be fairly fit to do the training in the first place.

Clinque wrote: »
    I'll let you know how i get on! Will this be anyone else's first time?

Will be my first, will have to work on fitness though as this will be a big step up :eek:... I'll check out that training program though...:cool:

Just wondeing how everyone is getting on with their training? I can now manage 7 miles without stopping which i'm really happy about but i'm really struggling with the boredom. Is this a common problem? I have stopped wearing my ipod as 1. it limits my ability to hear traffic etc and 2. I find that my pace changes with whatever music i'm listening to at the time. I've tried alternating my route a few times which helped for a while. I have managed to convince 5 of my friends to do the half marathon so on the day i can run with them on the first loop - yey!! Also i will start training with them shortly so i'm hoping that will help me with the boredom.

Training not 2 bad, altho I must admit I was suffering a fair amount of aches at the start as i wasn't warming up/cooling dond properly. Got a bit of a knock to the knee in soccer so will be taking it easy for about 7-10 days..
    Boredom varies from person to person. I'm not out to set any records so don't have to keep an eye pace all the time, i just use markers where a should be at approx X minutes.But i don't listen to music, i would end up doing some serious sprints at times:eek: I tend to drift of in a trance(daydream) while training.
    That was a very good idea about getting friends to do the half, I'm gonna try and recruit some friends now:)
    When you start training with them it will be less boring I hope, just make sure you are going at the pace you want..
    Good luck and keep up the good work:D
    Ps 7 miles non stop at this stage is great, you'll have no problems by the time this comes around..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Fair play to ye lads!!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 MarathonRunner

solid oak wrote: »
    Are there now two marathons in the city ? the galway bay had one last year ?

Looks like there are two being organized this year! The half city marathon is on at the end of august (65 Euro) and the Galway Bay Half marathon is on 2nd October 2010 (40 Euro). www.runireland.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭thelongfellow

Looks like there are two being organized this year! The half city marathon is on at the end of august (65 Euro) and the Galway Bay Half marathon is on 2nd October 2010 (40 Euro). www.runireland.com

It's 50 to enter it now-was 40 for the month of July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

So guys, how did the marathon go today?! :)

I was there doing my first half.... no records set, but I finished and I am happy.

Wish you hadnt mentioned the Galway Bay Half, now Im bloody tempted to do that too!! haha

• Advertisement
Advertisement