Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ball Python Heating hours?

Options
  • 10-03-2010 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Though vairous sources I've checked do mention over head lighting (red bulb) as heating they do not specify as to...

How many hours should it be left on per day?
    What hours of the day should it be left on for? As in when should I set the timer to start and finish?

I have an undertank heat mat. Providing heat also.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Satyr_The_Great

Buy a thermostat suitable for a heatmat and heat the tank to 25 - 28 degrees, the thermostat will stop the tank from over heating or the heat mat getting too hot.
    Or else buy a ceramic heat emitter and a pulse stat and heat to the same temps..No need for light as Royal Pythons are nocturnal and lighting or uv lighting has no real benefits to the snake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Reaper of Mind

Buy a thermostat suitable for a heatmat and heat the tank to 25 - 28 degrees, the thermostat will stop the tank from over heating or the heat mat getting too hot.
    Or else buy a ceramic heat emitter and a pulse stat and heat to the same temps..No need for light as Royal Pythons are nocturnal and lighting or uv lighting has no real benefits to the snake.

Been thinking of getting a termostat alright. Where is the best place to get them in Dublin would you know by any chance? Same with the rest sure. I have enough reptiles now for it to be handy to know these things. :)

The light is a red reflector lamp rather than a UV bulb. Nice enough for viewing at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

heating should be constan with a cooler area of the tank for him to retreat to

Reaper, Ben in Reptile Haven will have everything you need. He is a good guy and knows his stuff and loves to have a chat with his customers. Lucky Reptile make a good digital stat and can be baught for 40 euro or so, they are expensive but worth it in the end. Pet mania have them too but a little more expensive there. Ben in Reptile haven is in fishamble street I think.
    If you need any more info on setting the tank up feel free to send me a pm and I can do my best to help you out.
    And to crotalus, Im sure the op knows that, I think he just wants to heat the tank better.
    Reaper here is the basics of what you do : 1) place heat source on one side of the tank. 2) Connect to a thermostat and set the desired temperature. 3) The opposite side of the tank will be cooler and needs no heat, as this helps the snake thermoregulate.

Personally i set the waterbowl in the middle as it looks better i think.. Anymore questions you have message me and I will help.

Reaper, Ben in Reptile Haven will have everything you need. He is a good guy and knows his stuff and loves to have a chat with his customers. Lucky Reptile make a good digital stat and can be baught for 40 euro or so, they are expensive but worth it in the end. Pet mania have them too but a little more expensive there. Ben in Reptile haven is in fishamble street I think.
    If you need any more info on setting the tank up feel free to send me a pm and I can do my best to help you out.
    And to crotalus, Im sure the op knows that, I think he just wants to heat the tank better.
    Reaper here is the basics of what you do : 1) place heat source on one side of the tank. 2) Connect to a thermostat and set the desired temperature. 3) The opposite side of the tank will be cooler and needs no heat, as this helps the snake thermoregulate.

Personally i set the waterbowl in the middle as it looks better i think.. Anymore questions you have message me and I will help.

Yeah, I got her from Ben. He's great. I also have a bearded dragon and a corn snake I got from there.

Wasn't heading in for a while so posted here to get feedback. I have the heatmat on the left under the hide and on the other side a 60 watt red heat bulb on 24 hours for now gonna move down to a 40 watt shortly as we move into the hotter months. I would like to look into that though.

Been keeping an eye on the temperatures and they have been in the eighties (fahrenheit) and the snake has been rather active. Fed her yesterday and had no problems. She doesn't seem too shy either. Delighted with her. Thanks for the help. :)

• Advertisement

Nice royal, she looks like some kind of pastel if im not mistaken, morphs tend to boggle my mind...if she is eating you must be doing something right, but a thermostat is a good investment.

Yeah. She's great. Rather bright pastel. There are a mad amount of morphs out there alright. Been eating fine. They pack one hell of a strike. Heading into Ben on Friday and I'll pick up some new stuff then. Any pics of your animals?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

My little royal's on a heat mat, I can't use a red bulb with her as she's in a hospital tub with newspaper whilst I treat her for blister disease.

She's doing fine in the tub apart from the blister disease, she's strike feeding and leaving a nice deposit (always in the same corner of the tub, good girl) on a regular basis

Demonique wrote: »
    My little royal's on a heat mat, I can't use a red bulb with her as she's in a hospital tub with newspaper whilst I treat her for blister disease.

She's doing fine in the tub apart from the blister disease, she's strike feeding and leaving a nice deposit (always in the same corner of the tub, good girl) on a regular basis

That sounds a bit rough. Poor thing. Good to hear she's getting on well though. :)

Advertisement