Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Editing background in images

Options
  • 10-03-2010 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

hi guys,
    Am doing a project in flash. Am going to draw most of the graphics myself (oh nothing great ;) ) but will grab some images off the internet also.

I always seem to have problems when grabbing an image from the net...I save it to mydesk top and then insert to stage in flash. But of course the background colour (usually white) usually shows up too! For example, if I grab and save an image of an arrow, when I import it to stage, it shows up with the arrow and a white background.

Now, I have photoshop, but I find it very difficult to use (I use the eraser tool but more often than not I "erase" bits I dont mean to as its so difficult to do...).

Am at my wits end...can anyone help? Is there an easier way? Is there any easier way in flash?

Edit: It seems that it is very hard to edit bitmaps as they are pixelated. So is it possible to save an image as something else so background can be edited?

Thanks,

d

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

you can set a colour map to be transparent on photoshop and the gimp iirc. That should work.

An easier way: you can use the highlighter tool (lasso would be easier) to select the background around the object, then hit delete

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

As cherryghost says you can use the magic wand tool in Photoshop to select the white background and hit delete. Make sure you have the layer unlocked. You then need to save the file as a gif or png to preserve the transparency.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

yeah use the magic wand, however define the tolerance( it might be called different things in different apps but its the difference between the colours it can spill into, e.g. on a black and while image if its 40 then putting it magic wand on something white will spill outside that 40 shades of gray from white )

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

you can either delete the background as was said, or mask it out and save down a photoshop file (should be able to import a photoshop file directly into Flash).

YOu can remove the background in Flash by doing the following:

1. import the file into flash (can be jpeg / gif or whatever) 'import Stage'

2. Select the imported image and chose modify>break apart

3. deselct image

4. select lasoo

5. from the options of the tools pane, select magic wand tool

6. select the background area's you dont want

7. hit delete

8. convert to graphic or movie clip

Presonally, I'd edit the image in Photoshop (and crop it) and save it as a layered PSD and import that directly into Flash. Saves the messing around in Flash.

Also means you can edit the image again in Photoshop, and when saved, your Flash file will update.

Advertisement