Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IDA forced to locate half of all jobs outside of Dublin/Cork

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

danman wrote: »
    And should they not be forced to do this?

Are we not all equal citizens of the state?

Why should Dubin and Cork citizens be more entitled to jobs than their rural cousins?

I don't understand the logic here.

As I've said in the above post, they are not even attempting to bring companies to Donegal, so perhaps they should be forced.

Picture it. Intel decide to locate a factory employing 4000 people in Buncrana. Where is the population of engineers in the locality to support it?

In fact, you would not find 4000 people with the qualifications in all of Donegal. The vast majority would be sourced outside the county. Some workers will re-locate to Buncrana but the majority will not because Buncrana is so remote for that type of attractive living in that its not appealing.

A reason why the MNC's locate next to big population centres is not just the geography, its the pool of workers available to work in the factory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭danman

Does the IDA only bring in companies that require 4,000 jobs?

No.

And I also take exception to your view that there wouldn't be 4,000 people with enough education in Donegal to work in a factory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Does the IDA only bring in companies that require 4,000 jobs?

No.

And I also take exception to your view that there wouldn't be 4,000 people with enough education in Donegal to work in a factory.

How about 2000 jobs then? 1000?

These are not General Operatives/sewing machinists like in Fruit of the Loom. They need skilled engineers with appropriate qualifications, big difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I'll ask again.

What if the 50% go to Kerry, Clare, Tipperary, Monaghan, Louth, Cavan, Roscommon but not Donegal?

Would you say, "fair enough at least they didn't go to Cork and Dublin" or would you complain that Donegal was left out?

dogbert27 wrote: »
    I'll ask again.

What if the 50% go to Kerry, Clare, Tipperary, Monaghan, Louth, Cavan, Roscommon but not Donegal?

Would you say, "fair enough at least they didn't go to Cork and Dublin" or would you complain that Donegal was left out?

I answered that in my last post. Yes I would be happy.
    Does 3 out of 1740 sound about right to you for 4% of the population?

The IDA is there to attract jobs for all of our citizens, not just for urban dwellers.

I'll say it again, this thread was started so people could complain about a directive to the IDA to locate 50% of jobs away from 40% of the population.

Can anyone explain to me why that is such a bad thing?

I've given Donegal as an example, because I live there. I'm sure other countie people on here can give the case for thier county.

Why is this directive such a bad thing?
    Or is this thread simply another whinging exersise?

"I answered that in my last post. Yes I would be happy. "

Em, no you didn't but thanks for answering now!

It's not about what the people who are looking for jobs want, it's about what the FDI who are going to create those jobs want.

Like every single example that has been pointed out says, FDI want to be located near the main cities of a country and it's up to the people who want a job to then locate there.

That is why they shouldn't be "forced" to go anywhere.

Typical example of Ryanair wanting hangar 6 to create 500 jobs. Government and IDA say we'll give you something in Knock. Ryanair say, em no thanks it's Dublin or nothing. Government say no, Ryanair say so long Ireland, hello Edinburgh!

Ok, let's move the entire population to Dublin. Is this what your saying?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Why is this directive such a bad thing?
    Or is this thread simply another whinging exersise?
    Because Ireland needs foreign companies investing here and hiring people more then foreign companies need Ireland to invest in.

Hence the foreign companies wishes and needs trumps the need and wishes of trying to get something set up where it has no sustainable way of continue to exist outside of government funding.
    If that is where the companies wish to invest then people get to either set up local shops and run it best they can or yes, they get to relocate to where work is. Why keep a town that is not going to have work, or people, alive by funding? It has been tried and failed utterly in the history of time over multiple countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Aidan1

Does 3 out of 1740 sound about right to you for 4% of the population?

Given that the 4% of the population in question live in primarily low density rural reas, with no large urban centre, and little or no modern manufacturing or services base, yes, 3 out of 1740 sounds exactly right. Why? Because if companies wanted to see Donegal, the IDA would be more than willing to bring them there. Companies patently were not, so the IDA didn't bring them.

Murphaph is entirely correct - this State is in direct competition with much of the developed world for FDI. Companies want to base themselves where they stand the best chance of making money. For most of them, on arrival to Ireland, it has to be in one of the 4 cities of any size, but particularly in Dublin or Cork. Quite simply, it's either there or in another country, where they won't be forced to head to Ballymagash to satisfy a parish pump lobby. Nationally, we should be happy to have them locate here, and put some archaic tribal county jersey consideration over where they choose to locate to one side. After all, there's nothing stopping employees moving to where the work is at.

Thing is, it's important to realise that this is what has happened over the last number of decades - the population here has gotten increasingly spatially concentrated in and around cities. The only effect of Govt policies designed to 'spread economic development around' has been to further concentrate development in Dublin, but to deprive it of the investment required to actually make the most of the opportunity. Why? Because Dublin has long been the only city on the Island with the critical mass to provide the depth of services and the pool of employees required. The only logical solution, and the rationale which underlies the NSS, the Buchanan Report and a whole stack load of professional literature, is to focus developments on the cities, and ideally on a subset of the cities (Limerick and Cork being often mentioned) as a means of building critical mass in those areas. Cork, in a limited way, has just about started to get traction as a centre in it's own right (an attempt at proper spatial planning has helped). The others are getting there too, particularly Galway. Depriving them of infrastructure and FDI at this stage would be a critical mistake.

• Advertisement

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Ignore every other point. :rolleyes:

So, if this is the view of intelligencia, is it any wonder that we Irish, engage in Parish pump politics?

Your posts are advocating that we all should just move to the cities, and to he'll with those that don't because they didn't move their home and families?

Why should we, rural dwellers, care about anyone else? When plainly, big city folk don't care about us?
    Perhaps we should continue to engage in parish pump politics to try and look after number one. Because if the IDA should not try to work on our behalf, maybe we all should get ourselves Jackie Healy Rea's for ourselves?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Perhaps we should continue to engage in parish pump politics to try and look after number one. Because if the IDA should not try to work on our behalf, maybe we all should get ourselves Jackie Healy Rea's for ourselves?
    Please do just don't ask us "big city folks" to fund anything for you and you can have as many Jackie Healy Rea's you want; that includes pension, roads, services etc. as well I might add.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Basically, Keep Ireland for the dubs and the peoples republic of Cork. (to paraphrase Paul McCartney)

Have a look at that stat I posted earlier, 3 out of 1,740.
    I am concerned about Donegal, of coarse I am.

Tell me that that statistic isn't telling you Anything about the IDA's attitude to Donegal.

People were dismissing the fact that the IDA were told to try to redirect 50% of new jobs outside the 2 main cities.
    I'm arguing that this is a positive for the rest of the country and if Donegal gets a bit more notice from the IDA than previously, all the better.

We've heard this all before from every county in the state.

My county has been ignored dam those Dubs and all that and it gets boring.

You exemplify the parochial GAA mentality that dominates any discourse in this country on issues like this topic, why can't you accept that FDI will be most attracted to areas where it is already located and where appropriate?. Its no accident Dublin and Cork are what they are, thats because they are large urban area's with the economies of scale which make them attractive for FDI.

The sooner you accept this the sooner we can start formulating public policy for the 21st Century, we are not in Dev's ireland anymore. You are not owed a job on your doorstep in a IDA backed factory next to the GAA hall.

Have any of you read the reports?

What exactly is your problem with this?
    Apart from "this is going to take non manufacturing jobs away from us in Dublin and Cork"

that's right, read the report, non manufacturing jobs.

There is absolutly no reason why this type of job cannot be done anywhere from Mizen head to Malin Head.

What exactly is the problem with this report?
    What was the reason for Starting this thread, apart from the reason I've just given.

Maybe that's a little too parochial for you.

.........we are not in Dev's ireland anymore. You are not owed a job on your doorstep in a IDA backed factory next to the GAA hall.

but in this world that you live in, I'm not entitled to a job, but you are because you live in an urban area?
    Fantastic.

• Advertisement

What exactly is the problem with this report?
    What was the reason for Starting this thread, apart from the reason I've just given.

I dunno where you get the manufacturing thing from but as elaborated upon, giving the IDA a target of 1 in 2 FDI investments outside of Cork or Dublin is nonsense. The IDA should focus on selling Ireland to FDI and not try to push a company to one county above another, particularly the area's which have proven most attractive to FDI over the past 50 years, let the companies decide where best suits.

Maybe that's a little too parochial for you.

LOL do you even know what parochial means? I take it its going to be Coughlan 1 and Blaney 2 for you next time round then after this neat trick by our illustrious Tanaiste and Enterprise minister?.
    but in this world that you live in, I'm not entitled to a job, but you are because you live in an urban area?
    Fantastic.

This world i live in (where Dublin has to continually subsidise counties like Donegal) no one is entitled to a job. And who said i live in an urban area?.

gurramok wrote: »
    Picture it. Intel decide to locate a factory employing 4000 people in Buncrana. Where is the population of engineers in the locality to support it?

In fact, you would not find 4000 people with the qualifications in all of Donegal. The vast majority would be sourced outside the county. Some workers will re-locate to Buncrana but the majority will not because Buncrana is so remote for that type of attractive living in that its not appealing.

A reason why the MNC's locate next to big population centres is not just the geography, its the pool of workers available to work in the factory.
    I dunno where you get the manufacturing thing from but as elaborated upon, giving the IDA a target of 1 in 2 FDI investments outside of Cork or Dublin is nonsense. The IDA should focus on selling Ireland to FDI and not try to push a company to one county above another, particularly the area's which have proven most attractive to FDI over the past 50 years, let the companies decide where best suits.

LOL do you even know what parochial means? I take it its going to be Coughlan 1 and Blaney 2 for you next time round then after this neat trick by our illustrious Tanaiste and Enterprise minister?.

This world i live in (where Dublin has to continually subsidise counties like Donegal) no one is entitled to a job. And who said i live in an urban area?.

Please don't try to patranise me.
    I was Refering to the fact that posters on here want to keep 100% of new jobs coming into the state in an area with 40% of the population.
    And they are complaining about a plan to distribute 50% of these jobs to the remaining 60% of the population.

Now that is parochial politics if ever I've seen it.

As for my vote, I advise you to have a look at the area I live in. Coughlan doesn't represent me and Blaney never has nor will recieve my vote.

Tell me, why do you asume I'm FF?
    Is it because I have an independant mind and will not simply condemn everything that the government does?

This is a good project for the people of Ireland that live outside of the Pale.

I've been working in Dublin and it surroundings for 11 years. Am I subsidising anyone.

Is there anyone inside the pale that my tax money might have been subsidising?

Get off that high horse.

There are many more like me, working down here and paying our way. If the same jobs were available at home, we would be there and therefore we would be subsidising ourselves.

But I forgot, we're not supposed to have any jobs, because as I've been told here, we should all move to Dublin.

What to do, what to do....?????

Maybe the IDA could help bring jobs to other areas outside of the Pale....????

No that would be a very bad, bad idea......

Please don't try to patranise me.
    I was Refering to the fact that posters on here want to keep 100% of new jobs coming into the state in an area with 40% of the population.
    And they are complaining about a plan to distribute 50% of these jobs to the remaining 60% of the population.

If only it were that simple, that we could just guarantee x amount of jobs and then divvy them up like you suggested. Alas this is the real world and not a computer game. As more eloquently put by Gurramok amongst others, FDI is hard to secure, it is only logical we should develop our existing centres which have proven records of attracting and keeping FDI in the long term, silly political targets imposed on them like the 50/50 proposal just hinder our national economy prospects for growth in the name of regional development.

As for my vote, I advise you to have a look at the area I live in. Coughlan doesn't represent me and Blaney never has nor will recieve my vote.

Fair enough, McDaid then?
    Tell me, why do you asume I'm FF?
    Is it because I have an independant mind and will not simply condemn everything that the government does?

I don't know if you are FF, however what you've preached on this thread sounds the exact same from FFers i've met, people who have big, big ideas for their little county/. Its not exclusive to FF members supporters however...
    This is a good project for the people of Ireland that live outside of the Pale.

Its not a project, its a policy document. And Like many reports published over the years by Gov Deps & quangos it promises big but will almost certainly fail to deliver. The 50/50 breakdown is a joke and unworkable, time will make this obvious.

I've been working in Dublin and it surroundings for 11 years. Am I subsidising anyone.

Is there anyone inside the pale that my tax money might have been subsidising?

Get off that high horse.

There are many more like me, working down here and paying our way. If the same jobs were available at home, we would be there and therefore we would be subsidising ourselves.

But I forgot, we're not supposed to have any jobs, because as I've been told here, we should all move to Dublin.

What to do, what to do....?????

Maybe the IDA could help bring jobs to other areas outside of the Pale....????

No that would be a very bad, bad idea......

Whats your job then? why can't you do your job in Donegal?

• Advertisement

Whats your job then? why can't you do your job in Donegal?

What has my profession got to do with this debate?

I've said that I am one of the many others that live outside the Pale, but have to work there, that "subsidises" the rest of the country, as was stated in previous posts.

And is that not what this thread about? Creating jobs for thoses of us that want to live at home with our wives and children, instead of having to travel to other parts of the country.

But sorry, I forgot, I'm not entitled to spend 5 days of the week with my children, I should relocate them to a small, overpriced (caused by the Celtic Tiger you all had) apartment in Dublin.

Fair enough, McDaid then?

I shouldn't even justify that assumption with a response.

We're fantastic mind readers on this forum aren't we.
    if someone doesn't agree with you, they're a FF'er.

The lack of IDA intrest in our area has been a debate at home for quite a while. By all the parties. Cynical, maybe. They might be pandering to the mob.
    But it's valid.

Don't assume anything about posters, it belittles you.

I shouldn't even justify that assumption with a response.

We're fantastic mind readers on this forum aren't we.
    if someone doesn't agree with you, they're a FF'er.

The lack of IDA intrest in our area has been a debate at home for quite a while. By all the parties. Cynical, maybe. They might be pandering to the mob.
    But it's valid.

Don't assume anything about posters, it belittles you.

No i'm trying to figure out where you vote in general elections, is is Donegal SW?

No i'm trying to figure out where you vote in general elections, is is Donegal SW?

Again don't try to backtrack and patronise me.

I'll quote my own post for you to read again, shall I?

Again don't try to backtrack and patronise me.

I'll quote my own post for you to read again, shall I?

Yeah but you say you live in 2 area's, which one do you vote in?

Yeah but you say you live in 2 area's, which one do you vote in?

In my posts I've mentioned Inishowen and Dublin. I vote in Donegal.
    It is irellevant to this topic.

You don't know, nor should you know who I vote for. What is your obsession with my constituency?

This isn't about Donegal. It about the report that is going to try to help all the other citizens of this country outside of Dublin and Cork.

I've yet to hear an argument on this thread that would convince me that this report is a bad think for the 60% of the population that are at an employment disadvantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Theanswers

I wouldn’t want to live in Dublin anyways. Full of people who are so self-cantered they don’t have a clue! Try driving from Dublin to the west... Notice anything about the roads? They get worse the further from Dublin you go. Everything in this country is Dublin / South Cantered. Today FM may as well be called Radio M50! Yet we all pay our license fee...

We don’t care about the M50. What happened to our roads all Christmas? Nearly 2 months of solid ice yet we got on with it. What's the government do? Tax us off the roads and on to this imaginary public transport which doesn’t exist all for a greener environment?! Yet when small bit of snow hit Dublin the whole world may as well been ending!

I'm from Sligo and you know what? Having lived there I’d much rather it than Dublin.
    We have something called Cop-on, maybe now the wealth will be evenly shared and Gormleys Carbon Tax thrown out because it unfairly targets those in rural Ireland compared to those in urban environments.
    I thought people now a days would have more sense, yet the Dubs just want more...
    Even the Cancer Services at Sligo General! Gone... People having to drive to and from Galway on some of the worst roads on the country, yet people in Dublin had the cheek to give out about driving from one side of the city to the other!
    There's no comparison. We been underfunded from the start and don’t care what anyone says there is an imaginary line of investment drawn across this country.

With some thought, I object to the questioning I've been under.

I've been asked over the past few posts if I vote for Caughlin, Blaney and the McDaid.

How dare you question my political persuasion.

What has this to do with the thread title?

Have I acused any poster of voting for a particular party?
    Or asked them of their voting history?

I believe there is global warming. Does that make me a green?

I like Eamon Gilmore speaking in the house, but thought he went to far with his Cullen statement.
    Does that make me a labourite or a FF'er?

I think that NAMA will stimulate our ecomony. Does that make me a FF'er?

I'm impressed with the angry Enda. Does that make me a FG'er?

One think I can tell you is that SF has never had my vote.

Posters shouldn't assume anything about other posters.

Remember, a stopped clock is always right twice.
    Sometimes, people might agree with a government direction, that doesn't mean they will always agree with government.

Posters on this forum seem to assume that a poster like me who is a genuine floating voter, who decides whether policy is right or wrong in thier own mind, can make their own decisions, without following a particular party line.

Please have respect for other posters.

Theanswers wrote: »
    We have something called Cop-on,

Today FM may as well be called Radio M50! Yet we all pay our license fee...

Today FM is an independent radio station, your licence fee goes towards rte.

We have something called Cop-on, maybe now the wealth will be evenly shared and Gormleys Carbon Tax thrown out because it unfairly targets those in rural Ireland compared to those in urban environments.

Carbon Tax is targetted at urban environments as you use up a lot more fuel sitting in congested traffic 5 days a week. It's to change the habits of those living in urban areas to use more public transport or walk or cycle from point a to point b.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I see the usual righteous indignation from the Whesht has surfaced. I feel really sorry for normal people who live in the west of Ireland and ahow aren't prone to outbursts of emotional "jackeen fecker" episodes!

The West is receiving some of the best infrastructure in the state (Shannon tunnel, M18, M17 to Tuam, new M6 recently opened, WRC...all this despite extremely low population densities).

• Advertisement

With some thought, I object to the questioning I've been under.

I've been asked over the past few posts if I vote for Caughlin, Blaney and the McDaid.

How dare you question my political persuasion.

What has this to do with the thread title?

Have I acused any poster of voting for a particular party?
    Or asked them of their voting history?

I believe there is global warming. Does that make me a green?

I like Eamon Gilmore speaking in the house, but thought he went to far with his Cullen statement.
    Does that make me a labourite or a FF'er?

I think that NAMA will stimulate our ecomony. Does that make me a FF'er?

I'm impressed with the angry Enda. Does that make me a FG'er?

One think I can tell you is that SF has never had my vote.

Posters shouldn't assume anything about other posters.

Remember, a stopped clock is always right twice.
    Sometimes, people might agree with a government direction, that doesn't mean they will always agree with government.

Posters on this forum seem to assume that a poster like me who is a genuine floating voter, who decides whether policy is right or wrong in thier own mind, can make their own decisions, without following a particular party line.

Please have respect for other posters.

I don't care what party you vote for so less of the histrionics, i asked where you vote to prove my point about your parochial mindset. You've lived and worked in Dublin for the past 11 years but you still faithfully return to Donegal to cast your vote. you are a dream voter for backwater pols, always willing to cast a vote but, like the politicians you elect, you are in Dublin most of the time so don't have to live with the day to day consequences in your constituency of who you vote for.

There's no comparison. We been underfunded from the start and don’t care what anyone says there is an imaginary line of investment drawn across this country.

LOL no 'ye' haven't, when you accept this the chip on your shoulder about Dublin will become an awful lot lighter.

I don't care what party you vote for so less of the histrionics, i asked where you vote to prove my point about your parochial mindset. You've lived and worked in Dublin for the past 11 years but you still faithfully return to Donegal to cast your vote. you are a dream voter for backwater pols, always willing to cast a vote but, like the politicians you elect, you are in Dublin most of the time so don't have to live with the day to day consequences in your constituency of who you vote for.

LOL no 'ye' haven't, when you accept this the chip on your shoulder about Dublin will become an awful lot lighter.

Ah, So that's why, in 2 seperate posts, I was asked if I voted for a particular FF candidate?

Your not interested what party I voted for?

I work in Dublin, in much the same way as someone living in Meath, or Kildare works in Dublin.

You were probing my my political leanings, don't try to backtrack on that.

I've yet to read a good reason why a non manufacturing company wouldn't set up out side of the Pale. Apart form "they would like to live in a city"

not everyone is as fond of city life as you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

Danman described his circumstances in his first post
    in the Inishowen peninsula, Fruit of the Loom closed down in the '90's.
    We've had no major employer since then. The 2 factories in Buncrana have
    been layin empty for the past 15 years.

But don't worry about us, sure we can drive 4 hours each way, so we can work in Dublin.

I can't believe the selfish attitude of the posters on this thread.
    I've spent the past 11 years driving down the country, leaving at 4am on a Monday, to work down the country. Most of the people in Inishowen are the same, those of us lucky enough to still have jobs.
    I think he also mentioned later that his wife and children live in Donegal.

So, he clearly comes from Inishowen, his family and kids are there, he regards it as home and only travels to Dublin for work reasons.
    Inishowen is in the Donegal North East constituency.

I personally would not want to do what he does but given that his home and family are in Donegal and he just works in Dublin, it's not unreasonable for him to cast his vote in Donegal. In fact, I believe people are meant to cast their vote in the area in which they ordinarily reside, not where they work.

baalthor wrote: »

I personally would not want to do what he does but given that his home and family are in Donegal and he just works in Dublin, it's not unreasonable for him to cast his vote in Donegal. In fact, I believe people are meant to cast their vote in the area in which they ordinarily reside, not where they work.

Well seeing as he lives in Dublin 5 days a week and has done for the past 11 years i would certainly class him as a Dublin resident despite his protestations. Its a very Irish trait that people choose to vote in their constituency of birth rather then where they are normally resident which is, afaik, the main requirement for voter registration ( as a comparison i voted in the constituency where i lived in for college even though i returned to my 'home' constituency at the weekends like danny boy here).
    I work in Dublin, in much the same way as someone living in Meath, or Kildare works in Dublin.

Point of reference: when we talk about 'Dublin' we are talking about the Greater Dublin Area (GDA), of which Kildare & Meath is part of.You do not make a valid comparison.
    You were probing my my political leanings, don't try to backtrack on that.

I know your political leanings, its Donegal first to hell with the rest, you have made this quite clear.
    I've yet to read a good reason why a non manufacturing company wouldn't set up out side of the Pale. Apart form "they would like to live in a city"

Companies are only going to locate to backwaters with large state supports, even then as you will well know this is unlikely to keep them in a rural area beyond the length of time these state supports run out.

Besides This is not the 1960s or 1970s, Irelands manufacturing base is in decline, if you think we are capable of challenging China for manufacturing go right ahead...
    not everyone is as fond of city life as you.

Who said i was fond of city life?.

Well seeing as he lives in Dublin 5 days a week and has done for the past 11 years i would certainly class him as a Dublin resident despite his protestations. Its a very Irish trait that people choose to vote in their constituency of birth rather then where they are normally resident which is, afaik, the main requirement for voter registration ( as a comparison i voted in the constituency where i lived in for college even though i returned to my 'home' constituency at the weekends like danny boy here).

You seem to have an attitude of "attack the person" rather than attack the message?

Can I ask you, are you a FF'er by any chance?
    You don't seem to mind implying the political leanigs of others, so you won't mind answering this.

I've tried to stay on topic in most of my posts, which cannot be said of you.

Have a read of this...

http://www.idaireland.com/locations/regions-of-ireland/

you'll be surprised how many companies that are quite happy to be located outside of Dublin and Cork.
    So this belief that companies will only want to be located in the 2 main cities is not true.

Once again I'll point out, that if you read the report, it talks about non manufacturing jobs. Yet you still refer to manufacturing.

Please explain what is wrong with this report.

I can see no problem with the IDA trying to bring 50% of new jobs to the 60% of the population that live outside the 2 main cities.

And try to stay on topic.

Advertisement